Cheap Bar Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you ever tried using, used motor oil? Take one saw and only use, used motor oil and see what happens. The worst that can happen is you burn up a bar and chain. Many will try and argue that used oil is some how harmful to the environment. But they don't stop and realize how much motor oil is leaked out of cars and dripped on the roads every day.
I tried using used motor oil chunks of metal was missing from the bar grooves.

I try not to inhale my oil

Most bar oil is made from recycled engine oil just an FYI. I have used black as hell oil on occasion. As previously stated I use hydraulic oil in the 5 gallon bucket. I don’t inhale it either
If you're using it as bar oil, you're inhaling it. Unless you're wearing a respirator too.

If you're using it as bar oil, you're inhaling it. Unless you're wearing a respirator too.
Yes and two stroke fumes. I’m sure you’re right to an extent. I’m breaking balls here man. However I’d doubt I want to inhale new oil or recycled cleaned bar oil
Again I use new hydraulic oil 90 percent of the time. Just due to price.
I love a good oil argument.

Some will argue that the speed of chain will aerosolize the oil and you will breathe the used oil contaminants. Though I guess I wouldn't worry too much unless a very heavy user.

This is absolutely true.

Some years back I was experimenting with using vegetable oil for bar oil. It was cheap, it worked fine, and there didn't seem to be any problems. For a while. Then we discovered how the oil aerosol was coating all the exterior of the saws, including the cooling fins of the engine, where it was quite difficult to clean off. Unlike petroleum oils, the vegetable oil would oxidize and form a sticky layer on every surface of the saws, including the plastic exterior. It was particularly bad in cold weather, and also gelled-up the oil reservoir in cold weather.

Needless to say, I abandoned my "organic" bar oil, and went with something that didn't cause any problems. You can bet, however, that you are inhaling that used motor oil.

I use used hydro fluid from my tractors. Mix a 1/2 gallon of lucas oil stabilizer with 10 gallons of oil. Good for 3 seasons. Cold use the hydro straight. Most hydralic fluid is ep (extreme pressure) rated. Its designed to prevent metal wear. When I drain a tractor it looks just like when I put it in. 500hrs total. But filters every 150. A gallon of lucas is 29.00 here. So I have $29 in 40 gallons of oil.

I don’t understand the inhalation think. Oil is heavy , the atomization is minimal, and unless it’s vaporized by a smoking hot bar/chain, inhalation risk seems low. Having worked with compressed fresh air systems/respirators for years, I’ve always been told that any substantial oil inhalation can be deadly. I can’t see bar oil having a higher exposure than the fuel/oil mix exhaust. Educate me. As far as used oil, I have used it in a pinch but absolutely won’t unless I just have to cut something and am completely out of bar oil. I am interested in the hydraulic oil thing though. Seems like it would be kind of thin but maybe a little 90w would add some stickiness and viscosity. 😁

I don’t understand the inhalation think. Oil is heavy , the atomization is minimal, and unless it’s vaporized by a smoking hot bar/chain, inhalation risk seems low. Having worked with compressed fresh air systems/respirators for years, I’ve always been told that any substantial oil inhalation can be deadly. I can’t see bar oil having a higher exposure than the fuel/oil mix exhaust. Educate me. As far as used oil, I have used it in a pinch but absolutely won’t unless I just have to cut something and am completely out of bar oil. I am interested in the hydraulic oil thing though. Seems like it would be kind of thin but maybe a little 90w would add some stickiness and viscosity. 😁
STP motor treatment or lucas oil stabilizer. Both are thickeners and tackifiers.

This is what I typically use. It’s red so its an easy visual on bar oiling and it’s tacky. Last I looked it was $10 gal. I would never use dirty engine oil as bar oil, simply because I don’t want that running thru the oiler itself. Heavy metals and combustion byproducts, it’s just nasty stuff. BB48B792-124C-40AE-B370-AF06B290CF5B.jpeg

Bar oil is to cheap not to use. Cheaper than hydro fluid, motor oil, etc. It also doesn't have the metallic chemicals in it that virgin motor oil does. And you are nuts to think your not breathing aerosolised oil every time you run a saw.
As it pertains to used motor oil you have to be ignorant, stupid, or both to run that. Known carcinogen, full of nasty stuff, dirty, etc.
Same story with adding STP, Motor Honey or some other snake oil product to a thinner oil instead of running bar oil.

Bar oil is to cheap not to use. Cheaper than hydro fluid, motor oil, etc. It also doesn't have the metallic chemicals in it that virgin motor oil does. And you are nuts to think your not breathing aerosolised oil every time you run a saw.
As it pertains to used motor oil you have to be ignorant, stupid, or both to run that. Known carcinogen, full of nasty stuff, dirty, etc.
Same story with adding STP, Motor Honey or some other snake oil product to a thinner oil instead of running bar oil.
Where can you buy 5 gallons of bar oil for 35$

Latest posts

Back