Cheap saws that became money pits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no intention on selling it but it's nice to know that if a guy had to sell one that he could make a dime on it. That one is not a money maker I'll cut some wood with it tho

I have several saws that I bought for the purpose of re-selling. Sometimes I buy a saw with very little wrong with it and I can sell it for a little more than I have in it. I do have several "keepers" also but I wouldn't exactly call any of them shelf queens.

I only have one that I consider a shelf queen but it's NOS never cut wood, all the rest I'll cut with but I have primarily collectors, and primarily wood cutters. Just a few serve both purposes

I cut wood with the 361, but I do pay attention to where I set it down ha ha. I'm pretty particular about all my saws I don't throw any of them around.

I figure my loss leader saws can earn their keep cutting some firewood to save some wear and tear on the starting lineup and defray the cost a bit.

On a side note I won't be buying any more saws that need repair unless I can get them for a price that deserves a "you suck" after the cost of the new parts are included.

Speaking of saws that might become money pits: Got the clutch for the 306A today, thanks Boomer. Ordered a couple of parts to make it look better so thought I'd try to fire it up with little luck..Looks like the carburetor has been untouched all these years so I put it to soaking in carb cleaner, probably buy a kit tomorrow. Thing would start but not run, seemed to not get any fuel. Already put a new fuel line and filter on it so guess the carb is next..

I usually take pics of the saw as soon as I know the saw doesn't have anything wrong with it, but not necessarily gonna be sold immediately. If I do something to the saw, like install a new part then I have to take a new picture. I pretty well have pics of all my saws, even the ones I'm using. Some I have pictured are not for sale. Might need them for insurance purposes or maybe other reason..

Like this.
88ab00b0830a0fbc21aee949835f1d1f.jpg

Well over $500 in parts in it.

But, no one claimed an MS880 was a cheap flip.

No problem I was unsure some people are more particular about such things, I too would of run it awhile longer

Speaking of the 306A mini-money pit, had to buy a carb kit for it this morning plus when I got it running good I turned it sideways and it ran really lean, almost died. I assume it now needs a set of main seals. It hasn't been run in ages probably so I'll run it a little more and see if it gets any better. I've never put seals in one of these before, probably another pain..

Make sure when you turn it sideways the fuel line falls to the fuel and doesn't stay up in the air giving you a false leak
You know, you may have something there! I'd better check the gas in the tank before declaring the thing as needing more repair.. I've run that saw a bit and didn't completely fill the tank to start with. I did turn it the other way and it ran fine however, but the fuel line may not have been in the gas the first time...I'd better check it out..

I just know the insides of those tanks have alot of ledges to hang a filter up on especially if you're using larger Dia. Tygon they tend not to fall to fuel real well

Yeah, I noticed. I took tank apart to put new line and filter in, wished I'd had some original type line instead of that yellow stuff, it is kinda stiff but I think I made it long enough to touch bottom either way. I'll check it out maybe tomorrow, may just be low on fuel.

Well the guy who was thinking about buying my 350 just bought a brand new 251 so it's back at my house now. Ordered seals and bearings for it last night.

Latest posts

Back