Cheap saws that became money pits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the middle of finishing a 056 and tearing into a 041, what's with stihl and parts prices, you can't go through an older stihl with out spending a fortune. Case and point paid 40 bucks for a nice 041, I spent 50 bucks just for the points and condensor

I went out and checked the 306 again and it had a lot of fuel in it. When I turned it over carefully with the cap off I could see fuel completely covering the fuel filter pickup so I'm betting the seals might be the culprit. I had a Homelite Super XL that had bad seals on the clutch side and it did the same thing. When I replaced the seals it ran just fine. Looks like this might be a little more to this one than the XL was. Anybody ever change the seals on a 306A?

No saw of mine gets a free ride and gets to set on a shelf and look pretty. If it isn't cutting wood it's because it's broken. (and a lot of them fit into that category.)
I don't abuse my stuff but saws are just tools to me, not art objects. I feel differently about guns though...

I'm particular about my saws and guns. Saws however I use pretty good, well I will be anyway, I don't cut through the summer. Dad always told me summer cut wood just don't last as long. Besides don't get much better cutting than when it's about 40° out long as your working you stay comfortable

Mini-money pit 306A, ordered a crank seal for it today and for some reason decided to start it up again and it stalled out when turned sideways and thought what if I richen up the carb a tad? I did that and it ran about the same and turned it on it's side and it didn't stall out, in fact you couldn't tell the difference in the running of it. I had to adjust the idle just a tad because of richer mixture but the thing seems just fine right now. I don't think I'll cancel the order for the seal though, I may still need it..

Hi all. New here. Picked up an 046 for $10 at a tag sale. After two cylinder and piston kits(messed up the first one learning about porting transfer ports, previously a race car guy), a fuel tank/handle, a crankcase/crank/connecting rod off eBay, and basically every other spare part I could find is now bagged and tagged in case I need one some day. Put like 10 hours work into porting and polishing the(second) cylinder, and paint and clear coat various parts. Then have two kids, in two years. It's still waiting to be slapped together. I probably have two saws worth of parts by now if I just get another cylinder or if the original is hone-able.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back