Cheap top handle. Johncutter G2500 VS Neo-Tec 12" Thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same saw as the joncutter 2500. I bought it on amazon, but it is not labeled joncutter. Farmertec, I believe, just puts the joncutter name on it. If anything, the joncutter 2500 might have had a couple more quality checks than mine. I have used mine as my climbing saw for about 3 years now. It has been a fantastic saw. Light as an echo 2500, and plenty of power for any trimming I do, up to removal of branches up to 8 inches or so. I've used it to section down spars, but by the time you get down to a 12 inch or so spar it's struggling a bit.

I am not a pro. The saw probably only gets used a few times a month. After 3 years of pretty rough use it is still holding up great. Only issue is I've noticed that recently when cold it will sometimes dribble a little fuel when I pump the purge bulb. I haven't tried to track down and fix that yet. For my level of use it has been great.

I'm currently transitioning to an echo 350T for in tree use, just cuz treestuff had a good sale on them. It's a great saw for me, but definitely heavier and more tiring to use in the tree. The 2500 starts with a flick of the wrist, while the echo requires I steady and brace myself better to get a good, strong pull due to larger engine. But echo definitely has more power.

But, not being critical I hope, I question the advisability of routinely holding a piece of wood and cutting with one hand. If a branch is so small and flimsy that it needs to be held to cut, I think it would be much safer to use a hand saw. Not sure what scenarios you encounter, but imo a small, rear handle saw used with both hands is much much safer to use for any situation other than when in the tree.
From what I have read Farm Tec doesn't manufacture anything, It is a trading company that sources the parts and then has people assemble them.

That would explain why you see what looks like the same saw under different name brands.

Just bought the Neotec ncs 2500. So far it runs very good and cuts as expected. Comes with a semichisel chain. It’s 9lbs 4.3 oz with full tanks and bar/chain.

I would steer clear of the Jon cutter if your name is Jon. You’ve been warned.
I am leaning toward the Neo-Tec 2500 because of the good reviews and I can get a good price of 120 with discounts and quick free shipping on Amazon,

Smaller saw…faster kickback…
i think I’d rather have a cheap, older rear handle as a tool box saw if I needed one. A guy had half a dozen on CL a few weeks back…for $75. All runners. Yellow and green come up all the time Under $100
Personally I like the compact nature of the top handle saws for this application. I really don't have the time to drive around looking at craiglist saws, not to mention I am in a very rural area over a hour from the nearest town large enough to have a Mc Donalds. Not a lot of craigslist ads around here.
Between clearing land, cutting firewood, feeding the sawmill and building a new home all by myself I keep pretty busy.

I ended up getting a Neo-Tec 12" for $100. I spent all day trimming trees with it and cutting the branches into firewood. I am very happy with this little saw and will never be without a little top handle saw ever again. It runs well out of the box and cuts very well for such a little saw.

I ended up getting a Neo-Tec 12" for $100. I spent all day trimming trees with it and cutting the branches into firewood. I am very happy with this little saw and will never be without a little top handle saw ever again. It runs well out of the box and cuts very well for such a little saw.
I bought the noname version
It's served me well it's actually my 4th one since last spring my friends and neighbor's keep wanting them as I get them for my atv.IMG_20220722_152307668_HDR.jpg
All of them are still running I can't complain worth 80.00 to me

I bought the noname version
It's served me well it's actually my 4th one since last spring my friends and neighbor's keep wanting them as I get them for my atv.View attachment 1046918
All of them are still running I can't complain worth 80.00 to me
Keeping the cheap little thing in my Ranger was the main reason I bought mine. But after a day of trimming trees, I see how handy it is to have a little top-handle saw around.

Keeping the cheap little thing in my Ranger was the main reason I bought mine. But after a day of trimming trees, I see how handy it is to have a little top-handle saw around.
Mine lives on my atv it's sunfaded all the way through
Starts every time
Handy for trails.

I just bought the Proyama version. :eek: Chinese saw! Anyway....,

2 bar nuts, no extra piece attached to the front of the saw (wtf is that piece anyway?), very flat and clean around the filler caps to help avoid dirt buildup, fuel window, AND a two piece clutch-side plastics setup (no need to remove an extra screw or two to get the clutch cover off).

It runs well even with the bar buried. A bit less than one tank through it so far. Starts, oils, idles, restarts, etc.

hopefully it holds up.

8 lbs empty with bar and chain.

Well, the little cheap Jon cutter now has lots of use on it including living in the Ranger. It purrs like a kitten after tuning and has been a great little saw. Frankly I am amazed how well it performs and is holding up for a sub $100 saw. I am impressed. And yes, I really like the top handle design for a handy little saw like this.

I like my little Proyama so much that I bought another chinese top-handle. A "Chainsaw" chainsaw. I was imagining that all parts would interchange...not really, but many will.

I never want to be without one of these handy little things.

Latest posts

Back