Cheapie Poulan Pro 220 Repair ( Maybe )

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Here is mine. And I think so.View attachment 565542
The only problem with the PP262 is no A/V. They are basically a Wild Thing in nicer colors with a plated cylinder, and will buzz your hands numb rather quickly.

Yes on the 42cc but I remember a LE (low emission) model 262 before they made the cat model .
While this one does not have the "LE" designation it looks like it has the cat muffler on it, so probably the engine has the modified porting. It's probably a plated version of the engine I ported in this thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/exhaust-delayed-scavenging.292902/

Becasue the blow down angle was so short to start with it made raising the exhaust easy, as the transfers did not have to be touched (difficult in a clamshell, especially without a right angle hand piece).

DFK

ArboristSite Operative
OK, Worked on the little saw for about 3 hours this afternoon....
Only got abit 30 minutes worth of work done.... Some things I just dont know how to do.

Question # 1. In the carb. One side has two small round "buttons" I think one button has a screen under it.
How do you remove these "Buttons"?????

Question # 2. How in the world do you pull the Larger Return Fuel Line through that hole??????
I dont have a pair of needle nose that long and skinny enough to fit through the fuel fill hole.

Thanks
David

scottr
OK, Worked on the little saw for about 3 hours this afternoon....
Only got abit 30 minutes worth of work done.... Some things I just dont know how to do.

Question # 1. In the carb. One side has two small round "buttons" I think one button has a screen under it.
How do you remove these "Buttons"?????

Question # 2. How in the world do you pull the Larger Return Fuel Line through that hole??????
I dont have a pair of needle nose that long and skinny enough to fit through the fuel fill hole.

Thanks
David
The part that you are calling a button is a welch plug. You can remove it with a sharp pick driven in at a angle then pry it out. The fuel line can be pulled through the hole if you cut it at a sharp angle , punch a hole with a pick then use some tie wire to pull it through the hole. A drop of mix oil on the fuel line will help .

DFK

ArboristSite Operative
Is there a filter screen under one of the Welch Plugs???
The filter screen on the other side of the carb was completely clogged with gunk. It was replaced.

I think I may try to pull the return line from the inside out.
Will feed a string through the hole, attach it to the "angle cut" line and then attempt to pull it.

Will see when I get home.

Thanks for the help so far.
David

Old2stroke

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
. AS Supporting Member.
If the carb isn't responding properly, you definitely have to remove the welch plugs. Gunge can collect under them and block the ports, especially on the low speed circuit and the only way to clean them is to remove the plugs. Be careful with the high speed circuit plug, there may be a nozzle check valve in the high speed jet that you don't want to destroy by poking something through it.

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
If the carb isn't responding properly, you definitely have to remove the welch plugs. Gunge can collect under them and block the ports, especially on the low speed circuit and the only way to clean them is to remove the plugs. Be careful with the high speed circuit plug, there may be a nozzle check valve in the high speed jet that you don't want to destroy by poking something through it.
Given that it's not been run there is no indication there is anything wrong with the carb other than junk in the trash screen due to the bad fuel lines. I would not remove the welch plugs either. I've almost never had too. Remove the adjuster screws and blast carb cleaner into the jets - this will come out the L and H fuel outlets if the path is not blocked.

Well, actually whenever you blast carb cleaner into a carb, it WILL come out whatever opening is directed at your eye - but you might get a glimpse right before it hits!

scottr
Is there a filter screen under one of the Welch Plugs???
The filter screen on the other side of the carb was completely clogged with gunk. It was replaced.

I think I may try to pull the return line from the inside out.
Will feed a string through the hole, attach it to the "angle cut" line and then attempt to pull it.

Will see when I get home.

Thanks for the help so far.
David
David, if you want a service manual and pictoral of your Walbro WT carb then go to www.walbro.com

DFK

ArboristSite Operative
Well, I got the motor running.:)
Did not pull the welch plugs from the carb. Installed new screen filter, reed valves and diophram.

Pulled the Larger fuel return line from the inside out. Cut a 3" taper on the end of the line.
Feed a Strong string into the tank from the top side. Tied it onto the line and added a bit of tape to hold the end of the of the line tight to the string.
Pulled the tapered end up through the hole and clamped onto it with a pair of vice-grips.
Little oil and some heavy duty pulling got it done.

Got everthing put back in place and bolted down. 1/4 tank of 50/1, and away she went on the third pull.

Let it idel for a while. Pored in about 1 ounce of Seafoam. Let it run for another 10 minutes.
Will let the Seafoam soak in it for the next few days while i FIX THE OILER.

It did not pump a drop the whole time it was running.

So far so good.

David

DFK

ArboristSite Operative
Have started the saw two more times since my last post.
Once last night and once this morning. Let it idle for about 5 minutes each time.
It is really hard to tell how well it is running without a bar and chain on it.

Today is "run some oiler parts down day". There is a small Air Cooled Engines shop just south of work.
Will be stopping in there to see if they have the parts I need.

David

DFK

ArboristSite Operative
QUESTION: Poulan Clutch Removal Tool: Part # 530031112
Does this tool work for all of the saws ( Poulan, Husq, JohnnyRed Ect. ) that require a spanner wrench to remove the Clutch?????

Thanks
David

scottr
QUESTION: Poulan Clutch Removal Tool: Part # 530031112
Does this tool work for all of the saws ( Poulan, Husq, JohnnyRed Ect. ) that require a spanner wrench to remove the Clutch?????

Thanks
David
Not all but many of the small saws use the clutch spider that this tool fits. I would not call it a spanner wrench.

DFK

ArboristSite Operative
Picked up a Used but good oiler and a 14" Carlton Bar yesterday from the Air Cooled Engines place just down from work. Think I might like that place.
The oiler was free. The bar was $10.00. It has been hanging so long it wore a hole in it's cardboard wrapping. They wanted it gone.

Used a pair of vice-grips and a pipe wrench and a 1/4" rope to remove the clutch. Worked like a charm.:)
Got the oiler replaced. Installed the old ( warn out ) bar and one of the chains. The saw is a quite slow to rev up from idle......Hummm

Going to cut the two chains down from 16" to 14" to fit the new bar.....

I will be very busy for the next few days and may not get back to this until this coming weekend.
Will post a few pix ( maybe a video ) when finished.

David

DFK

ArboristSite Operative
Well, The little PP220 is now finished.
Here are a few pix. of the saw.

It runs quite well. However this Carlton "hobby" bar is too thin.
The end of this 14" bar will vibrate quite fast when cutting someting 6" to 8".
Almost like a fish swimming. Oh well, It only cost $10.00 new.

My next saw will be a PP295. I have two. Neither run. One is a hunk of junk the other is worse than that.

Thanks for all your help.
I wiil be needing more help when the PP295 is started.

David

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    396 KB · Views: 19
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    378 KB · Views: 19
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    347.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    315.9 KB · Views: 22

DFK

ArboristSite Operative
borisrph: I got $35.00 in the saw.
It needed a oiler. I was given a used one for free.

A new "Better" bar is most likely going to cost $35.00.

Thanks
David