check the simple stuff (064)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s a big tear… are any of the A/V bushings sloppy? I had an all original 064 where none of the bushings were torn, but they were so sloppy/stretchy that it put excessive pressure on the boot. New bushings made it feel way better. I think I used aftermarket bushings and OEM intake boot iirc

well... after market boot(s) have been ordered.
We shall see how nicely the fit, and last.
Come on guys, it's just a hunk of rubber.

It didn't seem that the mounts were terrible. Probably just a old old intake boot. Maybe original?

makes sense now... I would get it adjusted decently... and go to pick it up, move it, and it would change, lean.
That tear was almost sealing...

well... after market boot(s) have been ordered.
We shall see how nicely the fit, and last.
Come on guys, it's just a hunk of rubber.

It didn't seem that the mounts were terrible. Probably just a old old intake boot. Maybe original?

makes sense now... I would get it adjusted decently... and go to pick it up, move it, and it would change, lean.
That tear was almost sealing...
Hopefully the P&C are ok!Good Find.

Compare the one you ordered to the torn oem, I have had good experiences using stens. The rubber is quality and they have been pretty darn identical. The chinese knockoffs are poor copies from the shape/size to the rubber being too soft/hard and even missing the turbulence pattern at the cylinder side. Even used oem is better than 99% of aftermarket.
Thats a big tear, check both sides of the piston.

Rubber is one of the worst materials for cheap Chinese or Indian aftermarket substitution. And an intake is the worst place for substandard rubber. Your quality OEM boot failed. I do not have high hopes for the aftermarket based on my experience with things like reproduction Jeep shifter boots, steering bell joint boot, and bulkhead seal for steering column. Not saying the aftermarket maker cant make good rubber, they often choose to make it with filler material and recycled materials. Real, good rubber is expensive so some makers will cut every corner. Designed to sell, and maybe work.

Hey, its your saw, all the chinga rubber like fuel hoses and intake boots ive ever come across have not been very good, thus my offered suggestion to go genuine, but its your saw and your responsibility, let us know if its good and lasts, if not, no biggie, just replace it when you need to.

I did not know... so... we shall "give it a go".
This saw is a bit of a oddity anyway...
The tank crapped out last year, so I ordered a tank (farmertec, I am sure)
which ended up being the 066 size... Well crap, it sticks out a bit. Of coarse the airfilter didn't fit, and had to change all that too.
So it looks a little funny. I believe the intake was good at that time, however, I didn't look it over that closely (should have).
A month ago, it was running funny (no doubt the intake as well) and I pressure tested the saw and discovered a leaky seal.
Swapped that out, and it ran very nicely for one tank. Then, it runs funny. Maybe worse than before?
Where I discover this...

Next time I get into the store, I will have Andy look up and see if a genuine boot can be optained. And my cost...
However... let's try the farmertec!

I did not know... so... we shall "give it a go".
This saw is a bit of a oddity anyway...
The tank crapped out last year, so I ordered a tank (farmertec, I am sure)
which ended up being the 066 size... Well crap, it sticks out a bit. Of coarse the airfilter didn't fit, and had to change all that too.
So it looks a little funny. I believe the intake was good at that time, however, I didn't look it over that closely (should have).
A month ago, it was running funny (no doubt the intake as well) and I pressure tested the saw and discovered a leaky seal.
Swapped that out, and it ran very nicely for one tank. Then, it runs funny. Maybe worse than before?
Where I discover this...

Next time I get into the store, I will have Andy look up and see if a genuine boot can be optained. And my cost...
However... let's try the farmertec!

What happened to the fuel tank/handle? They don't tend to go bad, but do get squashed or dropped.........

The fuel tank had developed a crack and started leaking... which was annoying. Probably was abused some before I got it.
As a matter of fact... the saw was fished out of a pile of scrap metal, and given to me. completely filthy. I messed around with it, and found the kill switch wire had shorted. Fixed that, and it would run. cleaned it up some, and got enlightened as to what a 80cc saw can do. Eventually it got sent to Brad who give it the proper restoration it deserved. Ran fine for years after that. Even ran fine for months after I switched the tank assy.

Latest posts

Back