Cherry Tree Help Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gardenmom

Reaction score
Hello, I'm in Southeastern PA. We're in a new house and the kids just noticed we have a cherry tree yesterday. It didn't flower out this spring much so I thought it was just in a bad spot. I also thought it was an ornamental variety. We've got several trees in a small yard. We were surprised that there were fruits on the tree facing some good sun. They're orangy red with a little yellow, like a Ranier variety.

So, is there any way you could suggest I identify the variety? I don't want to presume they're edible. The kids are hoping they are the sweet kind. How do I get the fruit off the tree? I know it should be a simple concept, but the tree hasn't been cared for and most of the fruit is well out of reasonable reach. I don't think the previous owners knew about it. They didn't mention it.

Where can I find information on caring for a cherry tree? Fertilization, pruning, diseases to worry about, etc? I'm pretty comfortable with perennials and annuals, but not fruit trees. This is a first.

I'd love any information you could send my way.

TIA

To get cherries from a tree, you have to be faster and smarter than the birds. Birds love them. Just when you think "they are almost ready", they will disappear overnight.

As for care, I will defer to one of the arborists for that information. Our cherry trees are in a forest and receive no special care.

Good point about the birds. My next door neighbor is newly moved in too and she was wondering why we seemed to have so many birds around. :) Now we know

Spread a sheet under it and shake the limbs to get the fruit. I never heard of a poison cherry tree. For ID, post pictures here or go to your county ag ext.

Back