Cherry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Got 1/3 cord mostly cherry put in the shed today, to be used in a year or two.
Always nice to be able to limit the number of times it must be handled.
e5a08877f634930896fcee179cdb98ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love cutting and splitting cherry because of the smell and as already mentioned, people will pay more for it than oak.

Black cherry is considered a terrible invasive species here but I've never seen one. Maybe they grow at lower quotes or maybe it's just the usual scaremongering campaign to have people "call the experts" to remove it, but as an invasive tree Black Locust is hard to beat.

Anyone remember what the disease was that came through about 20+ years ago killed cherries? We used to have several in our yard when I was a kid. A few were bigger than the one pictured above. Anyway, they were all wiped out by something. I still see them occasionally,but not as many as back then.

I love cherry. My favorite to cut and split. I have 3 large cherry trees on my property. One is looking rough and might become firewood in the next year or two. It's all of 24" on the stump. The other two are growing from the same stump but are separated low on the stump. They are very healthy and straight with no branches for 30 feet. They are 20-24" on the stump. I wish it would grow on my property like it was invasive. It makes great firewood. If in had to choose, cherry would be in my top 3 woods to burn.

I had 2 eight foot logs that were right at 30". I was going to slab them with my 660/mill. My wife talked me into taking them to her fathers friend, an old farmer, with a Wood Mizer LT70. He was going to quarter saw them for me. He said the mother board went out on the mill and it was his planting season. As soon as he got the crops in he would get on the log pile. Two years later he told my wife to tell me to come by and we would mill em up. Before I could get by he had a stroke, that was a couple years ago. I hear he is doing well, but not going back to work well. I'll find more bigguns someday, Joe.

Bing cherry sells for about $6 per bd ft at the sawmills here. They usually import it form upstate New York. Lots of WW's like it because it darkens with age and has a closed grain. Yellow birch rivals it, but it will not darken with age. I've made several tool boxes with bing cherry. They all turned out well. Here's one of them:
Cherry Tool Box 1.JPG
I use it today. Here's a slightly larger one:
Iowa GTG 2012-03.jpg
These both have tool trays inside that lift out:
Iowa GTG 2012-04.jpg Thanks for looking.

Back