Chest cold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAWFORD79

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I spent Saturday splitting 2 cord of elm wood. Most of this wood still had bark hanging loosely on it which fell off when I split it but underneath the bark was a brown dusty dirty layer. Has any one had experience with this dust making them sick? By evening on Saturday I had the worst sore throat and chest cold I have had in years. I guess I will start wearing a mask when I work with this stuff. I wonder if some of the dust has some mold or something. Any other experiences with this?

No personal first hand issues but I have read in my woodworking mags and books that some folks have serious alergic reactions to some species of wood dust. I wear a dust mask when sanding.

I suppose that's possible. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to a number of dusts/molds myself. Been a while since I've worked on any Elm but I have split it before and haven't had any adverse reactions to it. I spent the majority of yesterday outside cutting/splitting and it was below freezing. Expected the "cold weather asthma" to act up but I'm doing pretty good so far. Worst reaction to Elm I've had was from the poison ivy vine growing up the side of it! :msp_mad:

One way to know for sure is to wait until you've recovered, then go out and work on it again and see what happens. You may be just as sick again, but at least you'll be sure.

But only work half as long.
Then you'll only be half as sick..............:msp_biggrin:

Lots of bugs and viruses going on here. Stomach virus right now. Think unc got it right. Try again and see what happens.

You can do a little self "allergy testing" to find out-I had a similiar issue (I thought) years ago with a product and here is what the doctor did for me-take some of the offending dust and put it on a good-sized bandaid and put it on your back-put a good amount on and leave it on your skin overnight or longer; then peel it off and if you are allergic to it you will see a reaction. Obviously if you feel itching and funny take it off sooner! But this will probably be somewhat helpful-good luck!

Thanks for all the thoughts! I have split this stuff before and had a little bit of a stuffy nose but never this darn sick. As long as the bark is off of it and has been for awhile it sure doesn't seem to be a problem. I have a whole lot more of this to split so I think next time I will wear a dust mask and see if that helps at all, hopefully this was just unfortunate timing and the cold was coming anyway then at least I can't blame the wood, considering I have
50+ cord worth of elm logs with bark on to process!

I've got the crud right now... second time in the last month.
Wife took the sick daughter in to see the doctor today... he told them he's personally seen 30 cases of influenza in the last week or so.
Doubt it was the elm made ya' sick (but I suppose it ain't impossible), ya' probably just caught what half the country has.
Ya', it sucks... but it-is-what-it-is.

I've got the crud right now... second time in the last month.
Wife took the sick daughter in to see the doctor today... he told them he's personally seen 30 cases of influenza in the last week or so.
Doubt it was the elm made ya' sick (but I suppose it ain't impossible), ya' probably just caught what half the country has.
Ya', it sucks... but it-is-what-it-is.

You are probably right. I should count my blessings. I don't get sick very often but look out when I do. Usually it is short lived.

Sawford,

Here's a list of some of the effects concerning wood dust/pollen/protien on us human critters.

Wood Toxins Page

And another:
Wood Allergies and Toxicity | The Wood Database

Elm is a respiratory tract irritant. I have an allergy positive result for every species of dadgum tree in North America amoung other crap in the air. I get it too, but mostly with half dead stuff. It's not as bad green for some reason, or I just don't notice it as bad.

Check out the effects of Black Cherry..."Giddiness".
Next time ya whack an Elm, drop and buck a Black cherry. That way if you're hacking up a lung, you'll still be happy about it.:hmm3grin2orange:

Good luck to ya getting over the hacking.
Sometimes a Neti-Pot really helps me.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I doubt you got sick from splitting that elm. Mostly because it happened too fast, harmful spores from bark and dust etc need time to percolate.

Anthrax comes from spores...but the kind that can hurt humans has been re-engineered by chemists.

I'm just getting rid of the nasty chest with headache on the side myself.
I bet you just have this crappy thing going around.

Lots of beer and bedrest, it won't cure you but you won't care about it anymore.
Drink enough beer until you are forced to bed, repeat same dosage next day :)

There's been a cold going around here for the last few months. I've had it twice, and am just finally getting rid of the cough. It's a nasty one.

I did get sick once after cleaning out my step grandfathers garage. Wear a mask if it's really dusty. It should help.

Latest posts

Back