Chimney advise, please take a look give your 2 cents worth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolhawk

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok I have a Daka indoor wood furnace, put in a new chimney last fall all brick with a 12 inch crock , and a 6 inch stainless liner for stove running inside, about 20 - 23 feet tall,
Noticed chimney cap screened looked loaded up, climbed up pulled cap and was loaded bad with creosote (cleaned off very easy , very crusty) the top 5 feet insinde liner was the same , was able to clean well , I know you should clean at least once a year , I burn 7 days aweek 24 hrs a day , and I believe this is a result of a warm winter and not burning full bore as usual, furnace has been awesome!!!!! 2500 square feet of liveable space 72 degrees all the time ,
Question , is there away to insulate the aera around liner now that is is installed , like a pour down granuals ,or a blown in ? I know there is a wrap around but the liner manufa. said I would not need it so I did'nt .Or should I be happy with what I have ??? Thanks for your imput

PLEASE CHECK OUT PICS ,

Ok I have a Daka indoor wood furnace, put in a new chimney last fall all brick with a 12 inch crock , and a 6 inch stainless liner for stove running inside, about 20 - 23 feet tall,
Noticed chimney cap screened looked loaded up, climbed up pulled cap and was loaded bad with creosote (cleaned off very easy , very crusty) the top 5 feet insinde liner was the same , was able to clean well , I know you should clean at least once a year , I burn 7 days aweek 24 hrs a day , and I believe this is a result of a warm winter and not burning full bore as usual, furnace has been awesome!!!!! 2500 square feet of liveable space 72 degrees all the time ,
Question , is there away to insulate the aera around liner now that is is installed , like a pour down granuals ,or a blown in ? I know there is a wrap around but the liner manufa. said I would not need it so I did'nt .Or should I be happy with what I have ??? Thanks for your imput

PLEASE CHECK OUT PICS ,

Was not a problem cleaning , ladder right up it , there is a brace from top of 2nd story to chimney, did not want chimney through roof, saftey, no hole in roof, Home owners insurance ?

as tree co said--vermiculite--plug the holes with statinless steel wool--not aluminum--if have fire in chimney--al will melt if right place--as he said--chimney too cool there--

stating the obvious, if your chimney is loaded with creosote, then you are not getting a clean burn.

Thanks for all yor inputs, :cheers:

Just one more add-on here. Last year I was awakened in the middle of the night to my smoke/co detector going off. No fire, no smell of smoke. Found the same thing you did - choked up screen on chimney cap. That screen disappeared right then!. Good thing i had installed a new detector with CO ability that fall. Yes, I clean my chimney every year. The stuff plugging it was more soot than creosote.

Harry K

Just one more add-on here. Last year I was awakened in the middle of the night to my smoke/co detector going off. No fire, no smell of smoke. Found the same thing you did - choked up screen on chimney cap. That screen disappeared right then!. Good thing i had installed a new detector with CO ability that fall. Yes, I clean my chimney every year. The stuff plugging it was more soot than creosote.

Harry K

explain a clean burn , well seasoned 2 years, maple and birch , I cut all my own wood, stack and season , I am not burning as hot because of mild winter 50 degrees today!! screen or liner did not load up last year, I think because it running full bore, Thanks for your info, I found a product called thermix for insulating around liners , just can't find a supplier yet in my area

a clean burn is when your wood stove is cranking and your chimney looks like this.
My screens have never clogged up and I've never had to clean my chimney.

Please note in no way am I telling anyone not to clean their chimney. always check chimney at least annually and clean if necessary. I check mine 2-3 times a season.

juca blue flame.JPG

juca chimney.JPG

One "High Burn"/Day

Nice job. Insulating the liner is on target since there's a lot of cooling with an outside, uninsulated chimney. Vermiculite poured in will help as the man says.
An insulated Metalbestos liner or chimney would have helped, but big $$$$.
Plug any holes with SS steelwool: great idea.

BUT. With even well-seasoned wood, and damped, slow burns creosote will tar up the coolest part of the flue--the top, especially if screened. Check that cap often ( good climbing exercise ).

Try this: we do an ultra high burn up to safe operating temp once per day, usually in the morning load up. The ash doors are open anyhow for dumping, so I leave them open until safe operating temp. It does burn off whatever small amounts of creosote accumulate in the flue and screened caps. Creosote is sure to form with damped down overnight or shoulder season temps. Be sure that you don't let the air get too low before the wood has "gassed off", or coaled.

Add less wood for shorter but hotter burns when it's warmer, like here in the 30-40 F range. :bang:

A bill is in the mail :rock:

I lucked out getting a house with an :bowdown: inside chimney, I just had it cleaned after two and a half seasons of use 24/7 during the heating season and The chimney guy said it didn't even need to be done but he hit it with a brush for me anyway, I had to wait almost two months for him to get here, he's so booked. He said with my inside warm chimney and a good liner and good wood and a hot burn they can stay nice and clean :D , I do however keep a very close eye on it as should every one burning wood! My buddy burns from the same pile I do has a shorter OUTSIDE chimney and a similar stove and his loads up with creosote like no ones business :bang: The warmer that chimney and liner is the warmer the gasses going up, you don't want the gasses cooling to much thats when they condense and start to build up. Your on the right track thinking about insulating the pipe, that looks like the coldest chimeny in America as its surrounded by air the top half of it. You might be suprised in a good way the results of insulating and by keeping that liner warmer good luck, Jon

Daka

I'm considering putting in a Daka this comming summer, what kind of advise can you offer? Are you venting just the Daka through the chimney? Are you using it as a single heat source or an add-on? I have an in house chimney that vents the exhisting fuel oil furnace and have been told by an installer that I can vent directly into this chimney with no seperate liner. Is this correct? It doesn't sound too safe to me. Any advise or experiences would be appreciated.

My insert has triple walled pipe running up the interior of the house through the attic with nothing surrounding it. Is the triple wall pipe enough to insulate it properly? When I have a good hot fire burning I can go up in the attic and put my hand on the pipe and it is usually luke warm.

My insert has triple walled pipe running up the interior of the house through the attic with nothing surrounding it. Is the triple wall pipe enough to insulate it properly? When I have a good hot fire burning I can go up in the attic and put my hand on the pipe and it is usually luke warm.

Thanks again for all your imputs , there all great and right on line, AND AS SOON AS I get my 30 stiches and my cast off my left hand I will get it insulated , until then I will hope for veeeeery cooooold weather and a hot burn .

I'm considering putting in a Daka this comming summer, what kind of advise can you offer? Are you venting just the Daka through the chimney? Are you using it as a single heat source or an add-on? I have an in house chimney that vents the exhisting fuel oil furnace and have been told by an installer that I can vent directly into this chimney with no seperate liner. Is this correct? It doesn't sound too safe to me. Any advise or experiences would be appreciated.

The daka and gas water heater in its own 3 inch stainless liner through chimney , I like the daka , The price was right , thier awesome to talk to. I have a natural gas furnace to , but only used it twice last winter when I was out of town , and not at all this year, just over 2500 square ft of livable space with main floor , 2nd story, and basement , all the same temp , no cold spots,

Plugged Cap

Harry K

Had the same problem with a free standing unit at the cabin, when I knocked the cap off I had a chimney fire for a few minutes as the trapped gasses and creosote burned off. Couldn't dump the screen, as the flue cooled off when I headed for home the bats would invade the warm pipe and get stuck in there. Just cleaned the cap more often :cry:

Back