Chimney Caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And once they're in the house, just try catching one. They find everything to hide behind and the house is just a mess after catching it. :hmm3grin2orange:

I removed the stupid clogging screen from the shop stove flue and don't have any draft problems anymore. If your worried abotu critters just cover the flue during the non-burn season. My house has a Windbeater cap that was not even designed for a screen.

That's what I've been doing. But one of two things is going on. I'm getting to old or the ladder is getting to tall. The wife is raising the devil about me and that 40 foot ladder. :(

That's what I've been doing. But one of two things is going on. I'm getting to old or the ladder is getting to tall. The wife is raising the devil about me and that 40 foot ladder. :(

Your wife is a wise woman, and obviously not motivated by a life insurance payout. 40' is a significant height for a ladder. Gravity remains fairly constant, and then you factor in age, health, and...here's the biggie....odds. Everyone misses a step eventually.

Man I hate ladders they give me the willies. My flue on the log house is on the creekside bluff. If I fall, it's about 40' down to the bank, then a tuck & roll for another 100' through rock & trees to the creek. I bought a Sooteater, but I plan on attaching a hard point anchor ring to the metal roof above the flue so I can tie in whenever I have to get up there. A safety harness, ropes and caribiners are way more comforting then a dang 40' ladder:msp_blink:

Get an 2 or 3 ft extension for the pipe. I can't imagine any snakes want to be totally exposed to climb on top of the roof and then an extra 3ft above the platform of the roof just to get inside a pipe. It's not their instinct.

Get an 2 or 3 ft extension for the pipe. I can't imagine any snakes want to be totally exposed to climb on top of the roof and then an extra 3ft above the platform of the roof just to get inside a pipe. It's not their instinchere t.

These black snakes around here climb right up the outside stone. Now how they made it down inside I don't know. I've had 2 pretty big ones here that thought we were best of friends. One wanted to live in my shed over head. I would be in there working and that thing would come our, stretch out across the rafters and just watch. She was about 5 ft. I really didn't mind till I got chickens. The chicks are a real treat to them and I couldn't have that. I moved her 3 times, off quite a ways but she wouldn't stay. I finally had to do her in. Lotsa black snakes here.

Last edited:
Back