Chimney Problem Future Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that is not a one piece chimney pipe, looking at the picture it looks like about 4 ft pieces joined together, making it 7 or 8 ft above the roof. Unless he takes it apart or puts a ladder on the roof, how does he clean it. I still would like to hear someone tell their problems with installing a 6 in liner in a 6 3/4 in inside measured clay liner some 20 ft tall, I know that it was not built perfect straight, would be almost impossible. My heater is old, 33yrs min, I burn a wheelbarrow of wood in 24 hrs, if it is cold. When I bought it, I looked long and hard to find something I would not have to have my wood split to a just so so size, the door is big enough to allow maybe a 12 or 14 in dia log if the ash level is low. As they say in politics, everything is on the table for now. THANKS
You are correct, they are sections of pipe connected together. I do not know how he cleans it or if he ever cleans it. At the bottom of the stainless pipe is a short ~2 foot masonry flue and an anchor plate that converts the masonry to the Class A chimney. It's possible he cleans it from the clean it for in the bottom of the masonry section. Or possibly he didn't clean it at all..? That pipe is well insulated and will help keep creosote from forming as long as you don't burn wet wood and the flue temp is high enough.

Good points Marshy,

My liner is 7x11 inside. My plan is to use a HD smooth flex liner and pour in Vermiculite for the insulation.

A few years ago I helped a friend install a six inch stainless steel liner in a chimney with the same size 7x11 liner . We used vermiculite for the insulation. It was easy to get the stainless liner in as the roof only had a mild slope and we could stand on it while inserting the pipe. Problems came after pouring in the vermiculite. We were unaware of just how vermiculite can find a tiny hole and then pour through it like water. The first attempt with the vermiculite ended up creating a huge pile of the stuff in his living room, and spending around a half hour or so with a shop vac and a shovel bagging the stuff up again for a second try. This time we made a mix of concrete mortar (no gravel added) containing vermiculite to make the slurry less heavy. We poured that in from the top and after it set up we had a good "plug" at the base that sealed everything in. Then we placed the vermiculite back in the chimney with no more leaks and it's worked fine ever since.

I bought my 1500sq. ft. house in 2001, and we heat solely with wood. About 12 years ago, I was cleaning the chimney and I could see a small crack in the clay liner. I talked to a sweep and repairman and he told me to call my insurance company and see if they would pay for a new liner. The insurance company jumped at it. They would much prefer to pay for a new liner than deal with a chimney/house fire.
The guy and his partner came in, cracked out the old liner and put a stainless one in over a couple hours. Because I burn well-seasoned hardwood, I can hardly even get any creosote if I tried.
The insurance company paid for the whole new liner but charged me my $500 deductible. Turns out, a lot of repair guys know this and they'll work with you, charging an extra amount and then kicking it back to you.

'Turns out, a lot of repair guys know this and they'll work with you, charging an extra amount and then kicking it back to you.'

That's likely not a good thing to put out there....

'Turns out, a lot of repair guys know this and they'll work with you, charging an extra amount and then kicking it back to you.'

That's likely not a good thing to put out there....
I'm aware. Not saying that's what I did...

Back