Chimney Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cage116

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok hope this doesnt sound to weird or anything but i just installed a new chimney last fall with 6 " double wall stainless pipe up thru the roof and the typical single wall pipe indoors. Well my problem is that after burnign since october my chimney this mornign was completely blocked off with hard soot almost and a brown sludge was oozing out of the stove. Has anyone else experienced this i am burnign decent hardwoods in the stove. What could cause this?

Sounds like maybe your wood isn't seasoned as well as you might think and/or you're not running the stove hot enough.

You need to clean that chimney and find some better seasoned wood to mix in with what you are currently burning. If you can't find any better wood then get some wood shipping pallets and cut them up and use them with your wet wood. Not sure what stove you have but if it is an older non-epa stove don't damper it down so much and let the wood smolder, that will create creosote like no other. Burn the wood hotter to boil out the water before shutting down your air.

Before you even think about lighting another fire, CLEAN YOUR CHIMNEY! If you don't the risk of having a chimney fire is extremely good. I get nervous when I have 1/32nd of an inch of creosote in mine. I can't imagine someone having a chimney plugged due to so much buildup.

Well seasoned wood will work the best, but I would also advise getting a thermometer to place on top of the stove or directly to the flue. Then watch the temperature of your fires. But don't over fire the stove either. That can be just as harmful as burning your fires too cool.

Yes, the OP needs a few warnings about the danger. Chimney fires are no joke. Don't burn again until you get that chimney cleaned, and let your wood season about a year before burning it (give or take a few months, depending on the wood- learn what kind of wood you have and how long it takes to dry.) - and that means splitting it before seasoning. It doesn't begin drying out until it's split.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Do yourself a favor and listen to the guys who are recommending you clean your chimney. Chimney fires do happen, and they can cause a lot of damage very fast.

Have you been burning long? I see you have been a member for many years. Maybe read up a little bit, before you lite that death trap.

Have you been burning long? I see you have been a member for many years. Maybe read up a little bit, before you lite that death trap.

Never fear Guys i took it alll apart and cleaned it all out. No creosote in there at all now. So it should be better now that i also went and got some well seasoned wood so we should not have a problem anymore. Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it.

Never fear Guys i took it alll apart and cleaned it all out. No creosote in there at all now. So it should be better now that i also went and got some well seasoned wood so we should not have a problem anymore. Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it.

I cleaned our insert and our flue pipe thoroughly a few month ago. I've just experienced the same build-up as you mentioned. I shut it down yesterday, and will give it another good cleaning today. You can tap on the pipe and hear the noise from falling burnt creosote, and the screen at the top was over 50% covered. I have been burning oak, eucalyptus, walnut and pecan, which has all been seasoned for a year and a half. I did install a damper to aid in controlling our draft up the two story chimney, and while that is probably a contributor to this, it ain't likely the entire cause. The damper has helped raise the temp as I thought. I will keep it, even if it means cleaning more often.
Good thing we have that open hearth upstairs though, else we'd be freezing in the interim.

What kind of stove are you running? I am using an old Vermont Castings Vigilant and if you keep it damped down much at all it tends to build up a bunch of dry creosote in the pipes. I always burn well seasoned wood.

Is your chimney an external one? Meaning, does it go up through the middle of the house or is it on the outside of the house? If it is external, you may just end up cleaning it monthly as they are a cold chimney. The smoke cools off too quickly and the creosote condenses and forms on the walls.
My old house was like that and I had to clean it at least monthly, sometimes even more often.

Ted

Let 'er eat. You may be choking your stove too much. I burn green wood only in my chicken coop, mostly red oak and honey locust (coal stove) and I burn fast for the first hour or so to chase all of the moisture out of the pipe. I also have eight feet of pipe straight up inside so....Don't follow my lead. Be careful, be safe, keep your pipes clean.

Latest posts

Back