Chinee MS440 build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree with putting Stihl badges on it though. Why the false advertising? It's a Chinese ms440, not a Stihl ms440.
Kinda reminds me of the guy on Columbus craigslist advertising new ms660s for sale a while back. I saw it and was gonna snag one up, then I looked a little harder at the pictures and it noticed it was a Chinese knockoff build.

I want to say I agree with this at least partially. If somebody is building a saw and wants OEM badges on it that is one thing, but selling a clone as authentic is dirty underhanded thievery. I am in Columbus, but I do not sell AM saws as OEM , EVER, period. If a guy wants to buy a saw that is AM, knowing it is built from aftermarket parts that is one thing and should be priced accordingly. Selling an aftermarket saw as authentic is theft by deception and should be prosecuted.
There are at least 3 guys in Columbus selling homebuilt MS660s, I know one of them who buys parts from me and his customers know the truth, the other guys may be less ethical, but I haven't had dealings with them , just seen their listings.
Dave

Ironically the warranty on some AM parts is better and easier to utilize than oem or meteor, how messed up is that?

I want to say I agree with this at least partially. If somebody is building a saw and wants OEM badges on it that is one thing, but selling a clone as authentic is dirty underhanded thievery. I am in Columbus, but I do not sell AM saws as OEM , EVER, period. If a guy wants to buy a saw that is AM, knowing it is built from aftermarket parts that is one thing and should be priced accordingly. Selling an aftermarket saw as authentic is theft by deception and should be prosecuted.
There are at least 3 guys in Columbus selling homebuilt MS660s, I know one of them who buys parts from me and his customers know the truth, the other guys may be less ethical, but I haven't had dealings with them , just seen their listings.
Dave

Ironically the warranty on some AM parts is better and easier to utilize than oem or meteor, how messed up is that?
all theese big boys ( stihl , husky , e.t.c ) are also aftermarkets. see mahle, zamma,walbro, guilardoni, small parts from other chineese factories, bars from oregon chains from oregon , and many others. Now they have a good deal with Mahle tomorow maybe with the meteor.
so tell me now who is the OEM ? and who is the aftermarket ?

all theese big boys ( stihl , husky , e.t.c ) are also aftermarkets. see mahle, zamma,walbro, guilardoni, small parts from other chineese factories, bars from oregon chains from oregon , and many others. Now they have a good deal with Mahle tomorow maybe with the meteor.
so tell me now who is the OEM ? and who is the aftermarket ?

Definitely a blurred line when you really look at it.

OEM to me are parts made for the manufacturer to their requirements or specifications. While they outsource parts from other manufacturers, the chainsaw companies have final say whether the product meets their requirements/quality specs. They can reject or approve a part and there is no room for argument on the manufacturers side.

Aftermarket parts are made to their own specs, which usually meet OEM specs or are better/worse than OEM. It's at their discretion and are free to promote their product as they please.

Do U know whose BB kit it is???

I see Huztl is selling the case halves with a BB kit already installed!

I think I would feel more offended by it if OEM prices were not so "off the charts"!

Wonder how much a "knock off" tank handle will be?

Do U know whose BB kit it is???

I see Huztl is selling the case halves with a BB kit already installed!

I think I would feel more offended by it if OEM prices were not so "off the charts"!

Wonder how much a "knock off" tank handle will be?
Huztl BB kit .
Any OEM top ends are just nuts ! All I ever checked on cost almost 3/4 of what the saw did new ! I just don't think they want you to fix them , they want you to buy a new one ! How can anyone afford to take one to a dealer to be rebuilt ? Buying new would likely be cheaper .
If you know a good dealer that will give you a break on parts , may be OK ? But I don't ?
Even if the chinee stuff last half as long as OEM , yer stihl money ahead to rebuild it twice ! But only if you do it your self . Or know someone like me that works cheap ! LOL

Huztl BB kit .
Any OEM top ends are just nuts ! All I ever checked on cost almost 3/4 of what the saw did new ! I just don't think they want you to fix them , they want you to buy a new one ! How can anyone afford to take one to a dealer to be rebuilt ? Buying new would likely be cheaper .
If you know a good dealer that will give you a break on parts , may be OK ? But I don't ?
Even if the chinee stuff last half as long as OEM , yer stihl money ahead to rebuild it twice ! But only if you do it your self . Or know someone like me that works cheap ! LOL
Aftermarkets have save many saws and many wallets

I am waiting for the all 440 AM parts to build one of them ! LOL I know it could be built for half or less than a new one . Guess I could build 2 in case one breaks down ? Stihl PRO saws aint made in the USA , the home owner saws are . Think the biggest part of the PRO saws are made in Brazil ? Now I hear the home owner parts are being made in china and assembled in the USA , or least the 2 smaller ones , so far ! But I don't know fer a fact , just what I hear ? Zama is all made in china . So I sure don't feel bad making a chinee parts saw .

I am waiting for the all 440 AM parts to build one of them ! LOL I know it could be built for half or less than a new one . Guess I could build 2 in case one breaks down ? Stihl PRO saws aint made in the USA , the home owner saws are . Think the biggest part of the PRO saws are made in Brazil ? Now I hear the home owner parts are being made in china and assembled in the USA , or least the 2 smaller ones , so far ! But I don't know fer a fact , just what I hear ? Zama is all made in china . So I sure don't feel bad making a chinee parts saw .
I tell in my other post now the stihl have deal with mahle tomorow with meteor so what is the meteor after the new deal OEM or aftermarket and of course how much the meteor will cost after the new deal?

When I purchased a Huztl carb for 044#2 it said ZAMA on it!!! I think I paid $18 shipped (it took a while), but so far it and the Huztl coil are doing fine.
I tell to my customers oem or aftermarket? the most of them want aftermarket , they simple say , i want to do the job the next year i buy a new. so they save some money and do the job without care so much for the quality of the parts.

The big thing is quality control no matter who supplies the stuff . China is getting better , but they really don't watch stuff that close , they can if they want to , but then it cost more . Some of the top end kits I have are great , others almost junk . But for the price I can buy a dozen to end up with 8 -10 good ones . LOL

Not much of anything is made in house like most old places did , its all suppliers now . So really its all after market . Make it to what ever specs the company wants , make it the cheapest , they get the contract . They found out a long time ago , its cheaper to buy what parts they want and have it assembled . Why so much has left the USA . Maybe make parts here , but send it elsewhere to be put together . Or make parts there , then build it here , then say its made in America !

When I purchased a Huztl carb for 044#2 it said ZAMA on it!!! I think I paid $18 shipped (it took a while), but so far it and the Huztl coil are doing fine.
I have used a pile of there carbs , only had one bad one so far ! That was a Bing copy for a 038 . The wrap handle I got for this saw took 8 days to get here ! They do good to get it to me in 8 days 3 states away ! LOL But other times its took 3 weeks ?

The big thing is quality control no matter who supplies the stuff . China is getting better , but they really don't watch stuff that close , they can if they want to , but then it cost more . Some of the top end kits I have are great , others almost junk . But for the price I can buy a dozen to end up with 8 -10 good ones . LOL

Not much of anything is made in house like most old places did , its all suppliers now . So really its all after market . Make it to what ever specs the company wants , make it the cheapest , they get the contract . They found out a long time ago , its cheaper to buy what parts they want and have it assembled . Why so much has left the USA . Maybe make parts here , but send it elsewhere to be put together . Or make parts there , then build it here , then say its made in America !
Have you ever think why a oem crankacase cost 3/4 of a new saw ? what is the trick behind?

Back