Chinese coil's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chainmale

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've picked up a MS261c that needs a clutch and a coil. I'm going with genuine stihl for the clutch but the genuine coils are bloody pricey, and I'm guessing that maybe because of their reliability there's none wrecking online so far in NZ and freight for any genuine on EBay from overseas makes it expensive.
So I am wondering if the Chinese ones I can source here (Hyway) are prone to problems like most other Chinese parts or being a small electrical component, aren't too much different than standard
Cheers for any help

This is just “C" . the computer tuned carb but no M-tronic. I've seen aftermarket coils advertised for them. I usually like to stick to genuine parts but it's a big price difference

This is just “C" . the computer tuned carb but no M-tronic.

I have never seen a Stihl or Husqvarna with a "computer tuned carb" which aren't M-Tronic or AutoTune.
If it has no slots to adjust the carburetor it's M-Tronic, sorry for your wallet. Always remember if the saw wasn't used commercially, ignition parts are covered by a two years warranty: it may be worth a shot.

I have never seen a Stihl or Husqvarna with a "computer tuned carb" which aren't M-Tronic or AutoTune.
If it has no slots to adjust the carburetor it's M-Tronic, sorry for your wallet. Always remember if the saw wasn't used commercially, ignition parts are covered by a two years warranty: it may be worth a shot.
Thanks Conquistador3 for making me double check that. It had me confused. There is a 261c where the “c” is just for features and is non M-tronic and a 261c that is M-tronic and 261cm which I previously thought was the only M-tronic model. So looks like I won't be feeling the wrath of Chinese parts this time. Probably explains why I got the saw cheap and last owner didn't repair
Thanks again

Don't know about coils for Stihl but after market for other brands produced in China seem to come in 2 categories the ones that "Cough "after very short time /little use & the ones that seem to keep sparking & brand is no guarantee which camp it will fall in
Seems that way with everything on Chinese sites, it was $170nz price difference, bit of a gamble though

Maybe worth finding someone in the US or Canada that will buy the coil and mail it to you? Seems like the Stihl parts and saws here are much cheaper?

Get a used coil off here, I needed a coil for an old Stihl 056 and It came from OZ. I am Canadian, look in junk piles at local dealers etc... then post what you need here. I have traded so many parts its hard to count. The shipping bill fronm OZ was not cool but I saved an 056 Magnum from the junk pile.

Latest posts

Back