Chipper blades

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattfr12

The Bulldog
Reaction score
Where are you guys picking up your blades from. I need a new set for a bandit 250xp. Another question is they usually offer two different kinds I'll probably have to check but it's between 1/2 inch holes or 5/8. I think mine uses 5/8, never measured tho usually just had the shop change them.

Must be nice to get someone to change your chipper knives while you sit and pet yer wet raccoon.

Atleast he`s not trying to "bluff" sell his equipment while dressing a rabbit after doing dishes!

LXT

Must be nice to get someone to change your chipper knives while you sit and pet yer wet raccoon.

its impossible for me to change them all it takes 2-3 guys a few days a month to properly maintain the equipment. we have three chippers 2 stumpers and 5 trucks where I'm at. one person can't keep up with all the oil blades and grease. grabber all equipment repair in mount nebo PA takes care of most of it. he's got service trucks that have mobile welders and what not and they come to you to do inspection and stuff like that. all my trucks have to be inspected every six months. in bellaire there is more equipment you have to have maintenance employees on top of your regular tree workers. we use over 200 quarts of oil changing oil. we do the big trucks all at once and they are all 30 quarts or more a piece. a bandit 250 is 15.

i put a pit in my garage so i don't have to lay on a crawler anymore wasn't to hard to do. broke out a square the length of the truck and had a guy pour and finish the concrete with a little set of cement stairs.

I've only gotten mine thru my dealer...... I know Matt I an going to say the V word, Vermeer blades, I change em every 10 or so hours (depending on what we are chipping) Anyone use their's for longer before flipping or switching them out? I have 4 sets and alternate them until they can be sharpened anymore.

really ten hours? I am doing at least triple that. I don't really keep track of the hours, I just change them once the mulch is poor quality. If you are very picky about not putting rocks through it they last much longer.

I actually just did the blades in both my chippers today.... what a pain in the ass. On my morbark 2400 there isn't even any way to lock the drum that I can see. The chipper has been rebuilt and I figure there is something missing.... gotta weld something up I guess.

I got my last set of blades from wesspur, I bought the american made ones, they have lasted a good while. Wesspur is probably a long way to ship for you though.

Also if any of you need your blades sharpened and don't have anything local my salesman's father owns Filegar Cutting Technology (www.filegar.com) in Jamestown NY. I have been shipping my blades to him and it is a quick turnaround.

really ten hours? I am doing at least triple that. I don't really keep track of the hours, I just change them once the mulch is poor quality. If you are very picky about not putting rocks through it they last much longer.

I actually just did the blades in both my chippers today.... what a pain in the ass. On my morbark 2400 there isn't even any way to lock the drum that I can see. The chipper has been rebuilt and I figure there is something missing.... gotta weld something up I guess.

I got my last set of blades from wesspur, I bought the american made ones, they have lasted a good while. Wesspur is probably a long way to ship for you though.

Also if any of you need your blades sharpened and don't have anything local my salesman's father owns Filegar Cutting Technology (www.filegar.com) in Jamestown NY. I have been shipping my blades to him and it is a quick turnaround.

Ya I get a lot more than ten out of them especially being double sided.

How much to sharpen ill send him a #### ton? I just could never find a place to do it, I've been putting new ones on after both sides got dull.

yeah, you'll save a boatload. I think it comes out to $10 to $20 a blade depending on the size. Let them know Keith with patriot tree co referred you.

I won't use Zenith anymore. From Vietnam and too many times they have failed.
Jeff

I agree havent used Zenith in 10+ years to brittle. They are factory equipment for Bandit chippers these day. Hopefully with there relationship with Bandit there product has changed for the better. I have been using blades from The Knife Source LLC. They are a company from South Carolina and stand behind thier product. Ive also used Simons blades they just as good IMHO but cost more.

God as much as I will surely regret saying this , I have never had a zenith blade come apart no cracks missing pieces nuffin and I have chipped some dead petrified wood before :laugh: the kinda junk that doesn't make a chip just a smaller stone :laugh:

no way to lock the drum??? how can that be, here is a hint, engage the clutch;) (with the engine off)

I've only gotten mine thru my dealer...... I know Matt I an going to say the V word, Vermeer blades, I change em every 10 or so hours (depending on what we are chipping) Anyone use their's for longer before flipping or switching them out? I have 4 sets and alternate them until they can be sharpened anymore.

we def go much longer then 10 hours on a side before changing we go a long time probably longer then we should I know the blades in the machine I'm running right now have not been changed in several weeks, they still have a little sharpness to them and there isn't really any difference in chip rate and we dont really care about chip quality. we dont max out our machines chipping though so its not like we are trying to chip 15" logs day after day

Read this topic this morning and decided to change out my blades and glad I did. Can't remember the last time. Pretty dull and small chips off the edges. As far as replacements, I always go to ther dealer. Figure if something goes wrong, the dealer will stand by their parts on their machines. After market scares me and if something goes wrong, it probably won't be good. As mentioned in here, I bought my chipper used and all the work was done by the rental agency mechanics. Same place where I rented the machine originally and threw the blades. Once bought from them, I took it to the dealer to have it looked over and repaired/replace where needed. Pretty scary what was needed and what was overlooked. After throwing the blades, I have never used the bolts twice as allowed and it's always from the dealer for sharpening and blades.

Back