chipper info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1I'dJak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
withing the next couple of years i'd like to buy a cheap dependable used chipper...What make, model and size would be appropriate for a small business (me and a buddy)? does anyone know the spot in bc to shop around for these? what should i look out for in a used chipper? I've just worked with one...for the guy a work for its a vermeer ??? and its nice but too big and expensive for my budget....I'm thinking spending more money on the chipper vs. a truck is probable a more productive endeavor...

Jak, I would get an old Asplundh-Whisper chipper, the duck and chuck. This is a proven machine, lots of them in BC, now people are using them for a backup because diesel self feeders are the way to go, but $40k. Ford six cylinder engine, all metal construction, exposed wiring like on a fishboat, you can get a shute that angles. When they are sharp, they are awesome, probably find one for under $10k in good shape, and a pickup will easily pull one around to do jobs where you can blow the chips into the bush.

is the whisper a specific make and model or or there different sizes (ie hp, size of limbs etc) are there any comparable models so's i don't necessarily pigeon hole myself into one type in case a good deal on another comes up... i like the idear of just pulling it with a truck... figure on keeping/using it up island on the down times i'm not working mid/south island... and small town types have the yard and need for chips...

Not that sure, I know some have inline 6 and 4 cyl. engines, some have v-8s. I think the drum is 12"-14", you can stall them but only with a big top, anything one man can drag to it reasonably will go through it. Its design is pretty simple, can't see you getting pigeonholed into something useless. I worked with one that chipped like hundreds of loads of chips with no problems at all, more than I could say for some of the self feeders I have seen. Sharp knives, lots of grease, change the fluids, keep the rad clean, its all good.

When Asplundh made chippers one of the marketing geniuses named them "Whisper Chippers" That is the wrongest name for the machine ever :)

If you can find a 6 cylinder you'll be happier. The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars...or turbocharging.

Tom Dunlap said:
When Asplundh made chippers one of the marketing geniuses named them "Whisper Chippers" That is the wrongest name for the machine ever :)

If you can find a 6 cylinder you'll be happier. The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars...or turbocharging.
Thats a good one Tom, you are right, they just scream. I like ones that are not too beat up, on the chute you can see the rodent with a branch in his hand and his other hand making the Sshhh symbol. I think the 6 cyl is the best one, its the legendary Ford. The v-8s are real thirsty.

Hydraulic feed are much safer(I think), and the chip produced is finer, more marketable. I have a little banditt 65 I bought six or seven years ago, it works it's ass off every day. One feed wheel does fine, though the six by nine opening requires a little more labor. I never send chips into the woods, I haul them all, and get this, unload them manually. It only takes me a few minutes to a unload a long bed pickup stuffed high. And many of my clients have specific areas and shapes they want mulched, so unloading them by fork can often be a good way to place them exactly where they need to be. This translates to landscaping jobs. I've done chuck n' duck. I didn't particularly like it. I've done twelve inch openings, they can be dangerous too. I use inexperienced people at times, my small chipper reduces some danger. My way isn't the norm, but it works well for me. Also these days diesel is smart, cause you can go bio. Just some thoughts.

rebelman said:
Hydraulic feed are much safer(I think)

In one sense, you're right. Getting swatted or scratched by a wild branch while using a chuck and duck is more likely than the slower infeed of a power feed chipper. But once a person gets slapped they learn to stand out of the way.

In all of the years of this topic being discussed I don't ever remember ONE person sharing a story about someone getting sucked into a chuck and duck. The respect for the machine is learned quickly. The damage is evident. With a power feed the brush goes slower, the knives aren't visible and they are easier to operate incorrectly. We have all read too many stories about people getting sucked into power feed chippers.

I know a people who've been slapped silly or injured when using a power feed chipper as the branch shifts or rolls.

Overall, I think chuck and ducks are safer. But I would never buy another one. just because of that.

Like Rebelman, I have a Bandit 6" and have never, ever regretted the purchase. If I got a 12" I would still keep the 6". I gave it a castered wheel jack on it up front so it can be wheeled around by hand. Anything bigger than a 6" and they get too heavy to be able to be moved by the operator. Sips gas. Ya just can't run logs through.

I lay claim to being the smallest and ugliest operation of any of us, but it's a veneer for being extremely efficient, organized and profitable. Recently moved up from being a one-man operation to now workling as a two-man team, so I may not be the smallest any more. But I am still pretty ugly. Very glad my clients don't hold that against me.

Being able to get my rig into small, tight places, close to the drop zone is a major benefit. Being able to unhook the chipper and swing the infeed chute toward the yard gives a direct straight line to the feed chute, as well as being able, then, to walk between the truck and chipper without having to step over the tongue. The Bandit 6" is easy to work on and maintain, easy to change the oil (exactly 4 Qts) and easy to access and sharpen the knives.

Bigger chippers certainly have their advantages, especially for bigger crews, but then you've got bigger trucks, bigger overhead, bigger fuel costs, etc.

Rent a few different sizes. That's what I did. It all depends on the type of tree work you do. I'm 80% prunes, so all my material is pretty small. On takedowns, I have guys chompin at the bit to come haul away firewood. I have very little need to chip big material, therefore little need for a big chipper. I just need one that is extremely dependable, easy to maintain, easy and safe to use (even for first-time operators) and willing to eat brush all day long. I'm entering my 7th year with my 6". Just adore it.

The Whisper is a lot lighter than a comparable size self feeder, because it doesn't have the hydraulic pumps, motors, feed rollers, etc.. Also a gas engine is lighter than a diesel, a lot cheaper to replace, but it does have disadvantages as well. A 1 ton chip truck will pull a Whisper with a full load of chips. A Whisper will chip faster than a smaller, more expensive self feeder, plus the main factors for Jak, they are common, cheaper to purchase and reliable.

I had Bandit mill in a third knife into the disc, as opposed to the standard two. Also, I added a hydraulic flow control later to adjust the speed of the infeed wheel. Combined with the autofeed, I can offer the machine a full-size capacity limb and blow sawdust instead of chips. Quite unnecessary 99% of the time, but I used to have a need for that. Anymore, it's full-speed infeed and stuff the limbs in as fast as you can.

Brand new, with all my bells and whistles, the chipper was around $15,000 US, about ten times the cost of my (exceedingly ugly) truck.

I said comparable size machines, I figure that means size of entry 6", 12" type of thing. Two guys can chuck branches into a sharp Whisper, one after the other and it will keep chipping the whole time, no stop, chip, stop type of thing. The BC1000 will chip a bigger branch or a big top, by pausing, but it is a heavy, expensive machine. Tree Machines chipper works well for him because of what he uses it for, trims. When you are doing big removals, you want a chipper that can chip for hours as quick as you feed it.

I picked up an old chuck & duck for $500 a couple years ago.

Rewired it , new battery , changed the oil , added a second radiator fan.

Been using it ever since, no problems.

The best $500 I've ever spent :)

first machine

rebelman said:
Hydraulic feed are much safer(I think), and the chip produced is finer, more marketable. I have a little banditt 65 I bought six or seven years ago, it works it's ass off every day. One feed wheel does fine, though the six by nine opening requires a little more labor. I never send chips into the woods, I haul them all, and get this, unload them manually. It only takes me a few minutes to a unload a long bed pickup stuffed high. And many of my clients have specific areas and shapes they want mulched, so unloading them by fork can often be a good way to place them exactly where they need to be. This translates to landscaping jobs. I've done chuck n' duck. I didn't particularly like it. I've done twelve inch openings, they can be dangerous too. I use inexperienced people at times, my small chipper reduces some danger. My way isn't the norm, but it works well for me. Also these days diesel is smart, cause you can go bio. Just some thoughts.
man that is good machine 6 in diameter if its just you and a partner this machines got the feed roller sensor and its tiny but it loves wood

I rent vermers 6 inch. I like it on most jobs it cost 7 dollars in gas. It will chip 6 inch logs kinda slow but steady. The place that rents them also sells them for about 3000 thats not a bad price. Two guys could drag it to the back yard I suppose.

Tree Machine - that second picture is great. I don't usually have such a good chuckle so early on a Saturday morn.

-Andy

thanx alot fellas...good stuff, appreciate it...yeah i'm definelty looking for something cheap...where i figure on setting up half the folks'll probably just burn alot of the trimmings, but i'd like the option...good stuff

dakota said:
Tree Machine - that second picture is great. I don't usually have such a good chuckle so early on a Saturday morn.

-Andy
attachment.php

Thanks Dakota.

Back