chipper info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've spent a good long time trying to figger out how to create the ultimate 6" chipper. Not trying to derail the thread into a discussion of only 6", but that's been the focus of mine, to create the ultimate Personal Industrial Chipper.

Can I share it with you?

In the meantime, here's a couple more pictures for Dakota and anyone else who got a kick out of that log on the truck.

Tree Machine said:
I've spent a good long time trying to figger out how to create the ultimate 6" chipper. Not trying to derail the thread into a discussion of only 6", but that's been the focus of mine, to create the ultimate Personal Industrial Chipper.

Can I share it with you?

In the meantime, here's a couple more pictures for Dakota and anyone else who got a kick out of that log on the truck.

What the heck did I do with those pictures.....?

Ka whump! Heh, heh. I posted these somewhere else. They're really not about noobie chippers.
attachment.php

Since this IS Arborist 101 let's discuss a noobie chipper, but just for fun, let's not limit ourself to the cheapest and just plain available

and just because this only ideas thrown out on the table, and nothing is at stake, why not just for fun conceptualize what we collectively could possibly want in a 1-2 man treecare operation. I will start with the most important thing to me is maneuverability. I must be able to move the thing around by hand. That means a chipper small enough for me to be able to do that, and a caster-wheel jack up front.

Since we're dreaming big there will be an accessory hydraulic motor to rotate the chipper's tire, or mabe the front jack. The bottom line, the chipper is self-propelled if you need it to be.

Nice, fat turf tires to roll over lawns and terrain in a low-impact manner.

For safety I want an emergency brake handle on the tongue (OR TWO) to be able to brake each tire independently (steering brakes) or both (park, chock).

What other thing, bells and whistles, would you want on this chipper?

And the knives need to be easily accessable and sharpenable with ease.

TM!
Dude! You a genius! This is great finally someone that uses his head, I would of lifted all that log. That is the funny tree pic i ever did see, howd ya get the log off the truck, i bet folks diddnt follow ya home close behind.. :clap:

"I'm a Genus?" I haven't even gotten dug in to the chipper part yet.

But to answer your question, it took 12 men and a horse to get the log off the truck. It was a real beast.

attachment.php

I guess, technically, we're still on-topic because clearly the picture shows a chipper. :)

I soooo wish I'd had the video camera.
It was just one of those moments of, "Huh... I wonder if this would work.

Actually, I was just showing off for the new guy I'm workin with. We were talking physics stuff, force, torque, rotation about points. and our good friend, Gravity. I unhooked the chipper (being that this is a chipper thread), backed up to, and into the tree. Hooked up a fat lifting sling to the top of the truck so she wouldn't slide back or roll off the side. Made my cut. Got in the truck, and you know the rest of the story. McGyver stuff.

Really, this picture Nick got JUST after it slammed me. See the ass end? it' still airborn from the impact.

attachment.php

I just pulled forward, just a touch

and

WHaM !!! I

I chuckled. It went perfect.

Who'da thunk?

Last edited:
Love the pics

I once worked for a guy who operated like that, he was very profitable.

Back to chippers. Got laughed at by some Davey guys when I swore the best little chipper was the Promark 210 - for all the reasons you mention - it only weighs 900 lbs, one guy can drop and move behind a customers house/ lot etc and it sips gas (16hp Briggs) and runs all day without complaint. Sure we have to move some logs - but that keeps us young....

Heard its been replaced / resurrected by Powertek - owned by old Promark designer.

Love the pics

I once worked for a guy who operated like that, he was very profitable.

Back to chippers. Got laughed at by some Davey guys when I swore the best little chipper was the 6" Promark 210 - for all the reasons you mention - it only weighs 900 lbs, one guy can drop and move behind a customers house/ lot etc and it sips gas (16hp Briggs) and runs all day without complaint. Sure we have to move some logs - but that keeps us young....

Heard its been replaced / resurrected by Powertek - owned by old Promark designer.

I hope you can open this, 6" chipper in action. It's a really quick video, about 0.75 seconds:

(use your space bar to 'replay' or start/stop)

Tree Machine said:
I hope you can open this, 6" chipper in action. It's a really quick video, about 0.75 seconds:

(use your space bar to 'replay' or start/stop)

Looks like the work of solo cat

TM - Dig your set-up, especially your truck, looks like you put some thought into all the modifications.

I have a few questions:

Does the bed dump or are you shoveling your chips?

Looks like you have some sort of boat winch on the back of the truck, like from a trailer - are you pulling wood with it?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back