Chipper not charging -

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaptain_K

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the alternator on my chipper (Fitchburg 6-cyl). It is still not charging the battery. I think the problem is with the ammeter. For a quick fix, couldn't I just run a cable from the + on the battery directly to the output on the alternator?
P.S. It is an old style alternator and is externally regulated. Does that mean i'd have to go from alternator to a regulator, and regulator to battery?
thanks,
KaptK

Was the "new" alt tested, before doing anything further, make sure you have a working unit, start there. Next make sure the battery is good, the funky cycles of a bad alt may have cooked it.

I suspect the cables more than anything. They can hardly draw enough current to turn the starter from a brand new battery. I used jumper cables the other day just to get a good + and - connection. Maybe the resistance is so high on the cables that the small charging current can't get through. I'll replace them and see what happens. The unit has an electric choke, so as the battery slowly drains while running, it does not control the throttle properly under load after the 1st 1/2 hour or so of running. I made-do the other day by just manually reving up the machine and wedging a stick in place on the carb to keep the rpms up.

What kind of alternator is on it (delco, nippon-denso, bosch, ect). If it was me, regardless of what you find I would pull the alternator and take it to an alternator reman shop (mom & pop type place) and have them convert it to a one wire and ditch the external regulator all together. If you can get a part number off of the unit, post it here & I will pull it up & see what options you have on that end. I grew up in my dad's reman business, and have access to alternator & starter component parts break downs that you can't get from the parts store.

Another thing you can check, if the front of the external regulator has a cover, pull it off and see if the points inside have gotten "welded" shut or open. If the burning on the points is minor, you may be able to clean them up for a temp fix with emory cloth.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back