chips and dump trucks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

priest

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was just wondering what the average weight of fresh chips is per cubic yard, for the purpose of design of a dumping chip box.

Also, what's the advantage of having a heavy fuelhog of a chip truck like a GMC Topkick over just building a dumping box on a 1-ton? Is the extra truck justifiable or just overkill? How many yards of chips can a 1-ton handle, I wonder? I'd sure rather be cruising around town or cross-country for storms in a pickup with a Cummins diesel or a Powerstroke than chugging around in a big truck, even if I have to sacrifice a little capacity.

I've got a GMC Topkick bucket truck that I was using to blow chips into before my chipper broke down. Great truck, but my goodness its like driving a Sherman tank around, and I only need the bucket on 10 percent of the jobs.

What do y'all think from your years of experience?

Thanks

Chip weight is going to vary by species and the chip size and uniformity that your chipper generates but thef igure I hear bounced around is 550 lbs per cubic yard for green chips. This means that you can overload a 1 ton as far as rated capacity is concerned--- but in reality a One ton can handle a nice load of chips. My Intn'l 1654(Diesel) actually gets better milage than one of my Ford F250s (gas) but I agree that a pick-up is easier/more comfortable to drive. The big truck generates some business because of the "capable" look but I really think that a one ton chip truck makes the most sense for most of us who are "small" operations.

Yeah, Stumper, the big trucks do look impressive. You should see the look on some of my clients' faces when I pull up to their house in that bucket truck. Three years ago I was driving an '84 GMC 1/2 ton that left a trail of black smoke half a block behind it and pulling a beat-up trailer with plywood sidewalls rattling in the breeze. All paid for though.

Justin is right, figure 550 a yard.

I would figure in now more than 10 yards for a 1 ton, when/if I get a chipper, I will get a 6500 or better, its worth it.

One thought I had was to put the chipper on the 1 ton (remove the axle and make it as low as possible) then put air suspension in the back of the 1 ton to make it "kneel". Pull a dump trailer, you can tow way more than you can carry, and access with a dump trailer here isnt too bad. If you got creative you could make the chipper on a subframe that would allow you to take it off and on the flat bed of the 1 ton, and put it back on its axle, and tow it.

It would take some work, but I think it could be worth it for a small rig. For a duty rig I think a 6500 or better is the way to go.

i'm from the other school of thought......buy the biggest baddest truck you can......putting a chip box on a one ton is flat out red neck.

correct me if i'm wrong but a ton is 2000lbs....so if green chips are 550lbs a yard wouldn't a 4 yard box be over loading the truck?

the old orange trucks with the man cabs are 12 yard boxs.....cut 2 feet off it......do think a 1 ton would handle that while towing a chipper?

trucks have a gvw for a reason.

KF "1 ton" doesnt mean 1 ton of payload cap. Heck, a tundra can haul more than a ton. My 1 ton is rated to 5500 in payload (although the bearing cap of the rear is 10k). 10 yards would be overloaded, but not terribly so if all it hauled was a coupla chainsaws and chips.

If your getting a "chip truck" then I am for getting the biggest and baddest, paying out the rear for it now, and loving it for a LONG time. If your small time and a 1 ton is all you have, I say use it and save up. Bigger equipment carries more overhead.

Yeah, I talked to a guy with a nice wheat truck for sale today (16 ft bed, 4 ft sides). Got to sell my big green monster first though, use that money to buy a decent chipper, and then maybe ask the bank for money for a chip truck or for building a dump bed on one of my pickups. If I had a stinking chipper that worked I could keep my big green bucket truck and life would be good.

Got the truck on ebay right now. What do y'all think I can get for a 96 GMC C7500 Topkick with the CAT diesel, 55 ft boom, 11 ft dump in good condition with 48k miles, approximately?

Lumberjack,

I just now got it with the chipper mounted on the truck, pulling the dump trailer. That's a cool idea. And if you COULD pull the chipper off, that way you can use your truck without having to drive around with a huge chip box on the back of it. I like it, but it sounds expensive to have built, and I sure as heck couldn't do it myself.

no way.....are you trying to say i was wrong?........wow thats a first, i bow my head in shame.

then what the hell is the whole 1/2 ton 3/4 ton 1 ton thing all about? without further research i can't argue.

oh yes i can :) ......if your one ton has a payload of 5,500lbs, would you feel comfortable driving that truck with 70 bags of concrete (80lb bags)in the bed?
that just seems like an awful lot of weight for a pick up truck. i'll tell ya what.....

go to home depot in the am and buy 70 bags and have them load it into your truck with a fork lift and drive around for a bit and then return them later in the day......then let me know what you think.

GICON, I like your truck, and the folding (knuckle?) boom on it. But isnt alot of weight on the rear axle. Current 6500 can come with an optional 19k cap rear axle, seems like your taxing it when your fully loaded with chips/logs and towing.

Max GVW in the 6500 (current specs) is 26k pounds. 27.5 yards of chips weighs around 15k pounds.

I did alot of looking around before i bought a truck.I used this website to get some advice.I ended up getting a 1993 gmc topkick with a 16' bed I decided against the mancab ,so i would have more space for wood.I love my truck.Its not that fast ,but it doesnt seem to slow down too much with a full load capacity ,and were talkin a heavy load.I figure you save in the long run with a big truck with less trips to the dump.Remember not only is it stressfull to the engine and brakes to go to the dump alot ,but it takes time and gas which is money.Sometimes i go three days without dumping once.I love it.You just have to make sure your getting enough money to make up for the sloww ride.Mike

10 -12 yards of chips on a one ton is over the rated load capacity, but I do it everyday with no trouble in handling,braking or from the cops. I can haul the chipper as well when fully loaded.

I'd go with a bigger truck if you do a lot of big takedowns and/or have long hauls to empty your load.

I've gone to maxxing out the minimum; staying deliberately small and efficient and effective.

I built a stand-alone box that can be plopped on the back of any flatbed pickup. One of the many advantages is that you can pretty much go anywhere a pickup can go. Having 4WD opens you up even more access.

The 'dump' is a conveyor floor, so there's no hydraulic accessories, no boxes that tip, etc. Designed into the thing is plenty of storage for the climbing and cutting essentials, and the ability to repair and maintain just about anything ONSITE that doesn't require welding.

Many of my client's want the chips, especially in the Winter. I have several local 'soil reclamation' sites, so my getting rid of chips is always local, always free. That's money in-pocket, Bubba.

It's a small system, but it steps up in a big way. Being able to drop a tree ON the truck, though I try not to do it, is an advantage. Pruning streetside trees from up on the walking deck, very nice. The side door (tool zone) that acts as shade, raincover, maintenence area.

The biggest advantage (other than the extremely low overhead) is that people seem to gravitate to the small guy. Apparently, being pretty is not all that important. I may look 'hick' but seemingly, nobody judges me based on that. Being highly organized and able to keep gear and saws maintained and sharp, fast setup, fast breakdown, the overall swiftness is a nice thing to have day after day. I don't have 'big quantity capacity' but my client's generally don't want a huge mountain of chips in their drive.

My system's not the best. It's just different.

Here's a pic of my Isuzu FRR cab-over. It's a great truck for crowded city streets . . . you can turn the truck and chipper around in a residential intersection.

The truck weighs 11,500 & it's rated at 19,500.
To the top of the sides it's 16 yrds. I designed the top.
(I still need to get my logo on the sides)

Thanks.
For the work I do here in 'Jersey it's the prefect truck. The big forestry trucks are rough to maneuver on crowded streets.

I had just this morning got my signs mounted on my Isuzu finally. It's a NQR, when loaded with wood it's over capacity and risky to tow the chipper too but chips is no problem. It's GVWR is 17950 but have had 23k in it, oops :eek:
It will be relegated to landscape duty if I ever get another truck just for tree work.

Last edited:
When I do get a sep. tree truck I'm leaning towards this truck like the other Crawfords Tree Service :blob2:

Latest posts

Back