chips and dump trucks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walking floor? Please explain...
Rolla said:
Then will she get a deserved lick of paint ??
You're so right, Rolla. Part of the 'big plan' was to create a world class arborist system that could be plopped onto ANY flatbed pickup truck. Just to push the point, I got a 1979 4 WD, which is what I'm using. I guess I've made the point that it's possible.

I'm deliberately keeping myself in a 'starter system' and amping it up to a level that would satisfy even the seasoned pro.

I think the next truck I put under it will be a Land Rover, that way I might get some respect from my Brit friends, and the Kiwis and Aussies will think it's cool. Right now, I just need to give it a paint job, no doubt.... and pull out the dents in the doors and hood. I look like a total hick, but I promise you, this will change along with the automation. Thanks for the ribbing.

this one suits you t/m
p04101_401.jpg

Look up walking floor trailers on google. they have 130 yard trailers over here for hauling chips.
BTW dont bother with putting it on a landrover, they cant take the weight.

Tree Machine said:
Walking floor? Please explain...You're so right, Rolla. Part of the 'big plan' was to create a world class arborist system that could be plopped onto ANY flatbed pickup truck. Just to push the point, I got a 1979 4 WD, which is what I'm using. I guess I've made the point that it's possible.

I'm deliberately keeping myself in a 'starter system' and amping it up to a level that would satisfy even the seasoned pro.

I think the next truck I put under it will be a Land Rover, that way I might get some respect from my Brit friends, and the Kiwis and Aussies will think it's cool. Right now, I just need to give it a paint job, no doubt.... and pull out the dents in the doors and hood. I look like a total hick, but I promise you, this will change along with the automation. Thanks for the ribbing.

I agree with Thor a Landrover won't take the weight , i think you have a good idea there ,have you thought about takeing your idea to a truck body fabricator and making some do$h out of your idea ????..Landrover or no Landrover ,you do have respect from me :) ,now give her a deserved lick of GREEN paint.. :p

Agood to truck to mount your system on IMO might be the truck version of a Toyota Landcruiser,i saw loads of the out in AUS

I think pickup trucks are where the yank's really excell, european/jap pickups just dont compare. I've even considered a ford f150 myself. My favorite for that system would be an f250 with the cummins 8.2 turbodiesel....

I would like a Yank truck if i could get one right hand drive ,only place for these i beleive is OZZ ,wifes relative over there has a F150

TM- your rig is neat, but kinda scary lookin. I would cringe if I were a homeowner and my hired contracter pulled up in that. You should maybe upgrade to a chopped school bus or something.

No offense intended.

tophopper said:
TM- your rig is neat, but kinda scary lookin. I would cringe if I were a homeowner and my hired contracter pulled up in that. You should maybe upgrade to a chopped school bus or something.

No offense intended.

Thats what I would think, but a cheap ;) (sorry tm) looking outfit will sometimes attract a lot more work than a proffesional expensive one :rolleyes:
Myself, I like to spray all my equipment and signwrite it

R Schra said:
clix_houtsn_iv.jpg

A dutch trailer manufacturer makes this. Its a Iveco light truck with a chip-trailer build on the back. The second axle is a trailor axle. The capacity of the trailor is 5.5 tons, netto 3.6 tons. You can drive this with a regular car and trailor driving license.

an other, This is a 7.5 tons, 5.1 ton load capacity truck.

clix_haak_iv.jpg

This is a 7.5 tons, 5.1 ton load capacity truck.

here a example how the trailor is hooked up

clix_zout_afg.jpg

R Schra,

I am just back from a Tech. training course at Nido Holten, stayed at De Rijssrrberg in Rijssen. Really nice area. Saw some other similar equipment too, we do not see that type in UK (to my knowledge).
Some lads at Stirling council were prosecuted before Christmas for driving these pickup type arctics without class 1 license. They have appealed, I believe?
Which part of Holland are you from?

I looked at the fifth wheel pickup trailers, They insist on a class 1 for them, cant see their appeal going through...

Hi,

I cant figure out why a fifth wheel needs a class 1 license? Does that also apply to those usa trucks with fifth wheel caravans?

Here its 'simple'

A= motorcycle
B= passenger/lighttruck till 3500kg incl load
C= truck >3500 kg incl load
D= bus >8 passengers (8+1driver is still B license)
E= trailor

So with a base vehicle thats registerd for 3499 kg incl. load you can drive it with a B license. When pulling a trailor you need additional the E license. Those two combined give right to drive these trucks overhere.

As for the chipper, its build onto the fifth wheel trailor and not direct on the van.

Caledonian, I was born and rased the first 18 years about an hour drive from rijssen. Nido is a wellknown manufactuer of salt (streuer?) and snowplows and road brushes. Had to update machinery or training in new stuf?

These days (last 14 years) i live in the SW part of the Netherlands. see map attached :Eye:

R Schra said:
Hi,

I cant figure out why a fifth wheel needs a class 1 license? Does that also apply to those usa trucks with fifth wheel caravans?

Yes those too. any thing with fifth wheel or trailer in excess of 750kgs behind a truck larger than 3500kgs :angry: :cry:

Thor's Hammer said:
Yes those too. any thing with fifth wheel or trailer in excess of 750kgs behind a truck larger than 3500kgs :angry: :cry:

I looked up some regulations in the UK.

UK rules drivers license

As i read it you can drive these <3500 MAM vehicles with a fifth wheel as told by CARS. Its verywell to compare those regs with ours here. Again, that base vehicle as shown is registerd <3500kg for B cat license. With a trailor (E) license you comply to the specs told in that part for CARS. It says loud and clear to me that you can drive a <3500kg vehicle with a >750kg trailor with B+E license.

Ronald

It looks correct, but the fifth wheel hitch buggers it. Have to have c1+e for 5th wheel hitch trucks...
might be worth looking into though

R Schra,

New 'Streuer' technical training. Only 48 of them released world-wide at the moment, only one in Scotland, we have hundereds of the last model though. :)

chip truck to be

This is an F-550 purchased 2 weeks ago and about to have a chip bed installed. I hope it will serve my needs well being small enough to drive around town easily, but heavy-duty enough to handle a good load.

The chip bed will be custom built to have permanent 42" sides starting at and even with the head board. The permanent sideboards will slope down halfway back on the bed to 24". A double barn-style swinging gate will serve as the tail-gate. This will suffice for small loads of chips or loads of logs, without catching too much Oklahoma wind on the highway or sacrificing vertical clearance under trees, etc. There will also be a platform extending about two feet over the cab to stand on for trimming trees with a pole saw.

Additional removable sideboards will be placed on top of the permanent sideboards to extend the sides to 60". A removeable front chip deflector will be in place, sloping up to 72", and forming a horizontal ceiling back 4' (all bolted on for easy switch-out).

Still trying to come up with creative ways to customize it for storage of tools, ladders, and just overall functionality. I could have a steel cab cage built, but I don't want it to look too hoky.

The truck will still have the capacity to haul a gooseneck for pulling skid steerers down to battle hurricanes and things like that.

Throw any ideas or criticisms you have my way. Fabrication starts Monday and the welder is up for creative challenges.

Thanks

Greg I would go with the F-450....an F-550 is overkill in my opinion. If you really want to make a cost effective decision, you should get rid of your pick up and get an F-450 one-ton dump with a steal removable chip box (your knuckle boom could easily remove the box or place it on) These Trucks are extremely versatile, they are heavy duty enough to haul a good load of chips or logs, great for delivering firewood, you can take the box of in the winter and plow with the truck, and they are allot smaller then an F-550, a great chip truck for back yard jobs, both lighter weight and 4x4 contribute to less lawn damage then the bigger rigs. You can also cruise your f-450 around town and price jobs. You need the big chip truck for the bigger jobs, but i think the pick up truck should be replaced by a F-450, the pickup does not offer the versatility of a F-450 dump and a F-550 is overkill. Haveing the extra chip truck also gives you the ability to run multiple crews with your back up chipper....which you may not see as an option now but if we get a storm, you could make a fortune designating two guys and your one ton with back up chipper to clean up downed trees and limbs. I can also give you the name of a guy in our area that custom builds steel chip boxes for our one tons. The boxes are removable and really nice looking as well.

Back