Choke stuck in on position 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J1m

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just tried to start my 346 xp. I pulled the choke, pulled the starter cord till it sputtered & now I can't get the choke to push in to get the saw started. I'm sure it's something simple but I've been fiddling with it for 1/2 hour now & can't figure it out. Any ideas?

I still can't get the choke to push back in - and when you push the stop button, the choke usually goes in with it - but I physically can't make either of those things happen. Because they're both plastic, I don't want to force them either.

Here's a pic with the choke out as far as it goes and the saw in the run position:

Here's a pic with the choke in as far as it will currently slide and the stop button down as far as it will currently go. The difference between the photos is subtle - but the choke will go in about 1/8". It doesn't look like the stop button is making proper contact either.

Here's the best shot I could get of the blue choke bar where it meets the carb without taking it all apart. It still looks attached to me.

Take a screwdriver and stick it behind where the choke lever slips into the arm and pop it loose. Then see if the choke lever will move and if the choke are will move. That will separate the problem to the carb or the linkage. I have some spare master controls if you need one.

OK - now we're getting somewhere. I can't get the metal arm to move once its disconnected from the blue plastic choke bar. Is the metal bar supposed to be angled back toward the carb just a bit?

You really NEED to send that headache saw to me. I CAN handle that LITTLE malfunction!!
Take an air hose to that thing, clean out at least most of the trash so you can see what's happening in there. It's real easy to get all the parts outa there. TWO screws!!

You really NEED to send that headache saw to me. I CAN handle that LITTLE malfunction!!
Take an air hose to that thing, clean out at least most of the trash so you can see what's happening in there. It's real easy to get all the parts outa there. TWO screws!!

If the malfunction were LITTLE to ME I would have just fixed it and not asked my question.

This IS the chainsaw forum, is it not? It's where I thought I could count on some helpful & useful info. Your post was neither of those.

If the malfunction were LITTLE to ME I would have just fixed it and not asked my question.

This IS the chainsaw forum, is it not? It's where I thought I could count on some helpful & useful info. Your post was neither of those.

Old Cat was just tugging your chain, dude. Send your 346 to me and I'll fix it and send it back in May.

Sorry I offended you. I thought my second sentence would be helpful. It is exactly what I would do.

Back