Christmas Wraptoring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure he's a great climber ...

It wasn't a 'snag' or a 'loop'. You can hear Reg the ground crew that if the take the load off of one rope the piece will tilt so the can get it on the ground easier in the tight landing zone.

Oh, OK, but wouldn't a tag line suffice for that?

Something being overlooked here ......and it is a biggy....is the fact that the double pulley/rope system gets the lowering rope out of the zone where the large piece of wood has a tendency to 'slam' or 'pinch' the rope between itself and the tree trunk. In other of Reg's videos he mentions this purpose.

Now that is good. I know you can't always, but I try to use another tree as sort of a redirect to get both the line and the Ground guy out of the way.

Although the ground man is very good there is little doubt who the star of that show is.

The guy is very good, and if not the "star", he very much in command, but in the video he showed nothing that I, a senior citizen, don't do on a regular basis, and I'm not nearly as good a climber as most of you.

Last edited:
attachment.php

Another on that line of thought..

My new Porta-Wrap has a cap on the end to prevent it from gouging the tree like the open ended one can. I do mostly removals, but when trimming and pruning the loads are not usually that great to cause damage on the tree with the end of the Porty. Mostly hinged cuts to lessen canopy damage to the parts that stay.

So you have a Hobbs, how do you (or anyone) compare it to a GRCS?

If I can adapt my wench to pull me up the tree before I start using it for lifting branches it will be doing double duty for me and I can avoid the high cost of a Wraptor. That might allow for adding a Hobbs or GRCS to my gear. Right now I kind of like the Hobbs. comments?

I've used the GRCS as a ascending device and it works great, but the guy on the ground is in control(bad), the block which has to be installed has to be directly over the device(bad) and you can't go out on a limb for the ascent(bad)unless You are belayed. Two different animals that's why I ordered the Wraptor. Call me lazy, old, washed up, whatever I not here to down anyone and everyone is got the own opinion and ways of doing things. I am here to learn and share thoughts, ideas, and experiences with individuals who are here for the same reasons.

I am Old but not quite washed up yet ...

I've used the GRCS as a ascending device and it works great, but the guy on the ground is in control(bad)...

I think I can wrap the climbing rope around the spool and use the tail of it to control my own assent, with my Unicender or LockJack as the ascent device that keeps me on the rope, no belay needed.

I have not had time to mess with this idea yet, and you can believe I will be on redundant belay until I am convinced it will work as expected.

... the block which has to be installed has to be directly over the device(bad) and you can't go out on a limb for the ascent(bad)unless You are belayed. Two different animals that's why I ordered the Wraptor. Call me lazy, old, washed up, whatever I not here to down anyone and everyone is got the own opinion and ways of doing things. I am here to learn and share thoughts, ideas, and experiences with individuals who are here for the same reasons.

Me too, anybody try this yet?

When I get a little closer to collecting social security, I may try out that Wraptor.:laugh:
You sure will, o rotund one! :popcorn:

tv "I think it takes you 100 ft. in a minute."

I think you're hyperbolizing--1'/second is the claim, not 1.67'/per. Mine has gotten close to 1'/per with my 170# added,but never went that fast.

Ricky yes you can stop on the way and work off of it; I do this frequently to at least clear a channel for falling brush from the crown. Much easier with a polesaw. :)

Attached is a blurb I put in the aussie mag last year, much cutandpasted from Paul's own ad. His wife's video with the choreographed circus moves was outstanding--you'll want to buy 2!

:givebeer:

Last edited:
I would get a raptor in a heartbeat if I did a lot of pruning big trees.. probably a waste of money if you're a takedown guy though.

...just to get back on topic here.

I've got an Arborist block or two ..

You could pull the tail of your rope to aid in advancing forwards but it doesn't work very well as it tends to put forces on the climber pulling them in, out, or sideways. Also it tends to put a lot of friction at the climbing TIP unless you are using some type of device up there, too.

I'll put an aluminum block on the end if my "lifeline" (that's what it becomes once I am on it) and run my climbing line through it and through my Unicender then around the spool. Somewhat of a straight up elevator, but can go around some limbs as long as the deflection angle isn't great. I'll cut those off as I go up.

Something that works real well for removals is spiking up the tree free climbing while being belayed by a top rope. Gotta trust your operator though but really no different than being belayed when rock climbing. Of course the run of the belay rope is going to determine what path the climber must take going up.

I've belayed newbee climbers that way, but never thought to try it myself with free climbing. It would be fast but I like the security of a solid top rope that I control.

[I can still get up any tree anywhere without it.....but I don't have to....I can afford it (and pretty much anything else in this world I want as well).[/QUOTE]

When ya bathe in hundred dollar bills, why not buy a twenty five hundred dollar tanaka weed eater. Realistically most guys don't have that much trouble ascending a tree via srt. I'm sure it's alot of fun but not really that necessary for most able bodied climbers.

lifting limit is 300 pounds, I think I'll get me self one since my biggest problem is getting my fat ass up to the top of the tree, this will make it easy and I won't need to pay the climber so it should pay for itself fast.....

tv "I think it takes you 100 ft. in a minute."

I think you're hyperbolizing--1'/second is the claim, not 1.67'/per. Mine has gotten close to 1'/per with my 170# added,but never went that fast.
:

I was just guesstimating ts, but even with your figures (hope you weren't timing with your much publicized snafu where you had the camming safety device upside down lol).....it is still less than 2 minutes....so technically one minute as I guessed.

[I can still get up any tree anywhere without it.....but I don't have to....I can afford it (and pretty much anything else in this world I want as well).

[ When ya bathe in hundred dollar bills, why not buy a twenty five hundred dollar tanaka weed eater. Realistically most guys don't have that much trouble ascending a tree via srt. I'm sure it's alot of fun but not really that necessary for most able bodied climbers

Like I said before, those whose idea of climbing involves puncturing bark with both feet even while pruning (like you), the usefulness of this tool is questionable.

To compare srt to using a Wraptor is like driving from here to Chicago on a bicycle or in a Corvette. Either way you gonna get there I guess.

Saved a ton of money on the bicycle.

lifting limit is 300 pounds, I think I'll get me self one since my biggest problem is getting my fat ass up to the top of the tree, this will make it easy and I won't need to pay the climber so it should pay for itself fast.....

If you need one of them motorized fossil hoisting devices for takedowns (which is all you do right??), you might as well just lay it on down!

Like I said before, those whose idea of climbing involves puncturing bark with both feet even while pruning (like you), the usefulness of this tool is questionable.

To compare srt to using a Wraptor is like driving from here to Chicago on a bicycle or in a Corvette. Either way you gonna get there I guess.

Saved a ton of money on the bicycle.

Any situation that would warrant a wraptor or srt ascent is the same. How is bark damaged with standard srt assents. Maybe im speaking for myself but I have never reached my tip via srt and lost much steam. Seems like a gadget that would get used once or twice a month. You live in ohio not the redwood national forest. Be careful, if you start wraptoring every tree you come across you might end up looking like rftreeman.

Thanks for the vid post but still can't see the use for two lowering ropes.
Hi Ricky, pardon the temporary derail. The Dual bollard was designed with several incentives i.e. cradling large horizontals - http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=105814

Speed-lining,

Load transfer between trees, or rigging points,

Load-sharing heavy blocks i.e. better heat dissipation, half the wear/strain on the ropes/slings etc, the ability to stop a log suddenly but with only half the risk of breaking the line. In all, the ability to safely manage bigger wood all round :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjqJs7YYnMo

RE: wraptor

Congratulations, I would have one in an instant, and I might in 2011 depending on how things turn out. I'm a spurs and flipline man myself, but we still do our share of big puning jobs. It seem's the guys who've bought them so far all seem to say the same thing, wish we'd had one years ago!

If/when I get one I'll have to brush up on the throw line though, to say I'm woeful is putting it kindly.

If/when I get one I'll have to brush up on the throw line though, to say I'm woeful is putting it kindly.
Yup, you will. I brushed up with the Big Shot and went from poor to mediocre, now hitting forks @ 50-70' fairly well.

Senescent, yeah, but by programmed reduction and nutrition I get rejuvenated all the time.

The Wraptor will be used in a TCC next Jan 22, Windermere Florida. :blob2:

Last edited:
Yeah the wraptor not worth much without modern throw lines, bean bags, big shot and cube.

Typical scenario....you show up and you have a hundred foot plus oak, tuliptree, sycamore, etc..... I do them all the time to a tune of usually about $l500 ea.

You have 3 big leads that need deadwood out of each of them. Usually one shot and I am set up. I can go up either side of the wraptor rope and either work the other 2 leads from the one I chose first or go to the ground and shoot the other 2 individually.

You got any vid of you srt footlocking up over a hundred feet holden? That would be quite amusing methinks.:laugh:

All this over a beefed up weedeater winch!!! a $2500.00 tool??? hey if it helps your biz....get it!! but for me it would be a terrible waste of money!!!

This is one of those topics were some will praise it & others will tear it down....not necessarily because of cost, but for infrequency of use!!! I do alot of large prunes myself & have survived well with what I have, however....age catches us all & if what treevet does for a living day in & out is as he says..............then the wraptor would be an asset!!!

LXT...............

All this over a beefed up weedeater winch!!! a $2500.00 tool??? hey if it helps your biz....get it!! but for me it would be a terrible waste of money!!!

This is one of those topics were some will praise it & others will tear it down....not necessarily because of cost, but for infrequency of use!!! I do alot of large prunes myself & have survived well with what I have, however....age catches us all & if what treevet does for a living day in & out is as he says..............then the wraptor would be an asset!!!

LXT...............

When I was 21 and built like Tommy Hearns at about 6 foot plus and a little over 150 I would still have wanted one but likely could not have afforded it. I got out of the USMC at 185 but slimmed down for some climbing contests and liked it so much I stayed that way for a while. Nobody anywhere I crossed paths with other climbers could outclimb me at that weight.

I weigh about 185 now and can foot lock anywhere anytime esp with my pantins and Ascentree.....but don't have to. Sadly (or gladly depending on how you look at it) I am in it for the money not some professed artistic expression.

Still can do it all......don't have to do it all.....can do much more than the footlocker in a day. Go home and knock off a piece.:laugh:

Back