Christmas Wraptoring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got to use steel core manilla a few times but they were being eradicated when I started this game. I bought regular grass rope at the hardware store and climbed on it before getting a real climb rope and some training. I shiver when I think of some of my earlier thought processes but was on a mission to earn a living.

Yeah me too. I took a couple of nasty falls back in the beginning that wised me up a little too.

like I said earlier Holden, I used to drt with pantins and ascentree (still do sometimes for fun) then convert to distal on a hitch climber. Prior to that, going back to the 60's we used to just straight foot lock for years without any safety at all. I used to just hand lock without any feet assist back in the day and could easily climb 20 feet without anything but my hands on a double rope and my feet walking up the tree.

hard to make fun of that when you are a body thruster advancing the line and getting in the tree with a polesaw isn't it? you livin in the stone ages and will soon fall even further back with lack of foresight to see advantages of this tool this thread is about.

You cannot honestly think you and your body thrusting edge out this genius invention can you? Sad to see somebody embarass themselves like this.
I gave one example on how to ascend a tree, This is by no means how its done every time. Every tree calls for a different method. No one method is better then the other every time. Break the wraptor out in a tree with a good ladder beginning at 12 feet. Ill be up in the crown by the time you pull that climb line down.
My biggest problem with seniors is the inability to see things anyway but there own. Loosen up a bit .

Wood holder I truly hope you don't act like you type, arrogance is not a great virtue. I know many five year climbers believe they are the only ones that been there. I have seen it over and over the longer one achieves the impossible the humbler they become. I think your prolly good but your mistaking if you think your the only one that is, or has been. I for one think a little respect for an aging climber using mechanical assent is in order. I would have one now if I could afford one and I will have one for sure. It is plain and simple a great tool to reduce stress on an aging body you can tell us all how you intend to do things past fifty but if your not there it is blind hope.
Tree vet is a grumpy old climber who focuses on insulting fellow posters with a dash of enlightenment every now and then. Just because hes' done it for ever doesn't mean I need to model my career after his. He needs a tool like the wraptor, hopefully he will get a motorized ascender for his wheel chair at the rate his business is going
In my opinion if im climbing in my fifties, I made some poor decisions along the way. A very wise climber told me this is a young mans game and i agree. If im not running a successful tree service in my fifties ,at minimum Ill be supervising one, definitely not climbing.

What if you still like climbing even into your fifties?

Sixties?

Treevet, You said you would go for the Wraptor over the GRCS if given the choice, is that because in all of your years of experience you had other better or equivalent gear to the GRCS? or because you just do not use it as much even though you do have it compared to the usefulness of the Wraptor?

I have a Wraptor in the budget for next year, not if, just when! I am still a little shy of forty yet!

Tree vet is a grumpy old climber who focuses on insulting fellow posters with a dash of enlightenment every now and then. Just because hes' done it for ever doesn't mean I need to model my career after his. He needs a tool like the wraptor, hopefully he will get a motorized ascender for his wheel chair at the rate his business is going
In my opinion if im climbing in my fifties, I made some poor decisions along the way. A very wise climber told me this is a young mans game and i agree. If im not running a successful tree service in my fifties ,at minimum Ill be supervising one, definitely not climbing.

Lmfao well; I hope for your sake you get lucky. I have never seen the magical supervisor jobs, as in corporations they seem to go to family members. I think in the coming economy, I will be lucky to retire at sixty five and I plan to climb at least till then if necessary. I will of course, be using a wraptor, as soon as I can afford one, because; it will give me an advantage over hard headed grumpy youngsters ummmmmmmm hmmmmmmmmmmm:cheers:

PS: 48 in April still climbing!

Last edited:
Nobody I know uses ladders to work a tree... I can easily body thrust to thirty feet without hesitation... Using a big shot then srt/wraptor means you will have to switch over climbing systems. A waste of time and energy. Not everything needs to be complicated and motorized.

I plan to use my wench with my existing set-up. I won't even have to unclip, a ground man will just take my climbing line off the spool.

Ah yes, the wisdom of youth. In time you will develop methods to to make you more productive in trees. For me getting up that first 30' by climbing a ladder (I have a fiberglass Werner 28' extension) I save my energy for working the tree.

In the job I posted about above there were six trees to trim. I'll do the math for you ~ that's 180' of body thrusting I didn't have to do. How fast can you body thrust 180' on a 95 degree day, and how would you feel when you got there?

Here is my prefered method to climb a tree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJEHNoIRTYU

If I could I'd hire a helicopter to take me to the job and just set me in the top at the TIP.

I shiver when I think of some of my earlier thought processes but was on a mission to earn a living.

:cheers:
Man, I think we all shiver at what we used to do!
One of you posted a while back a story on an Indian(Gandhi type), climbing Date Palms with no safety gear, crazy amount of deaths in it. They interviewed this old man, like 75-80 years old, who was ripped like Jesus, by the way! He said something that stuck with me.
"Fear is for the Educated, I am not Educated, so I have no Fear"
I lot of wisdom is in that little statement from an old, OLD climber!

I'll raise your 60 and call at 70 ...

What if you still like climbing even into your fifties?... Sixties?

Treevet, You said you would go for the Wraptor over the GRCS if given the choice, is that because in all of your years of experience you had other better or equivalent gear to the GRCS? or because you just do not use it as much even though you do have it compared to the usefulness of the Wraptor?

I have a Wraptor in the budget for next year, not if, just when! I am still a little shy of forty yet!

I just spent $120 on a Pora-Wrap, (my third) and with my wench and Petzl block and tackle I can do most lifting I am likely to run into. I'm a gear junkie (my wife calls my stuff "climbing Bling") so both the GCRS and Wraptor appeal to my nature.

I would probably try to trip Treevet on his rush to the picnic table, but if I did get there first I'd most likely grab the GCRS because I believe I can build a better Wraptor that I don't have to take up with me.

Just because hes' done it for ever doesn't mean I need to model my career after his. He needs a tool like the wraptor, hopefully he will get a motorized ascender for his wheel chair at the rate his business is going

How old are you? You are still an employee and my guess is you are over 35? I started my own biz at 22.

Not likely to need a wheelchair soon. I can go out the door right now and run 6, 7 plus minute miles and do often.

I am very content with the "rate my business is going". I have more equipment than national franchise companies, got mass wealthy clients, makes gobs of money and............still GET to climb. Numbnuts like you hate climbing, prob get pushed around by the foreman and come on the forum and take your inadaquacies out on posters. You are the grumpiest poster I have ever run into on any of the major forums.

In my opinion if im climbing in my fifties, I made some poor decisions along the way

proves above point.

I have to admit I prob am a bit of a physical freak. At least that is what 30 year olds say that I play racquetball with....but I have made myself this mostly (that and being a treeman).

A very wise climber told me this is a young mans game and i agree. If im not running a successful tree service in my fifties ,at minimum Ill be supervising one, definitely not climbing

I am "running a successful tree service" and have been for 40 years. Live in a $400,000 plus house, drive a new one ton silverado, bought the wife a new BMW 3 series all wheel drive station wagon, have tons of toys, put 3 kids through college, live in an exclusive neighborhood in a upper middle class town. All this with just me and 1 groundman.

Again proves my point that you are not even a supervisor. You likely can get the jobs done but your attitude and ignorance is holding (holden) you back. That leaves you "holden wood (a woody by yourself lol)". You think people hate climbing but it is just you and your "wise climber" friends (prob hate climbing from being around your sadsack ahss).

There is an entire club on Buzz that has an annual contest called "geezers" that LOVE climbing unlike you. They wake, eat, train, practice, equip, sleep and dream climbing. Climbing is the love of my life. Without it you are just a has been that could be sitting in any cubicle anywhere with some knowledge of tree care and my guess is you have very little knowledge as well.

You probably drink your misery away but this in turn causes more misery for you and those around you. Get some help and maybe smile in the mirror once a while. (I'll send bill for perscription).

I know, just trying to lighten the mood! Mood? did I spell that right! Mude, Mewed,Muud, gotta be Mood!

I can build a better Wraptor that I don't have to take up with me.

That is a pipe dream (guess what's in that pipe) , and taking the machine up with you is a positive and of no consequence. You can stop and go and do work going up as I do....often. I have probably been up on this machine over 200 times in the less than a year I have it. You can leave it in the tree and send down later, send it right down in a second, or whatever....

GRCS....wayyyy overrated. But I may buy one anyway sometime.......if only to not let an armchair arborist like treeho say he has something I don't have. Maybe a market will come up for breeding spider eggs someday and it will come into another use.

I am getting tired of defending this thread from dunce cap wearing pseudo arbs. I get nothing out of advocating it but it is just a smart money making machine. I could care less about the guy that invented it, I just have become the one that defends it where one time I knocked it for its cost when I did not have one. I just defend it like I would an ms200, stihl saws, bc 2000, Dingo, crane, buckets, stumpers, sprayers, timberwolf stuff, etc etc and all the stuff I have that makes me money.

I learn stuff all the time on this forum and try to pay it back from seasoned experience and talking up stuff that works. And not let ignorant people get away with dismissing stuff from ignorance or boneheaded attitudes.

Yeah....holden wood is gonna body thrust and polesaw advance his line and his fat ahss up the tree and be working before a guy on a wraptor :hmm3grin2orange:

Oh, I dont know, some good jabs from holden as well if you ask me..

AA, I wouldn't be buying a GRCS for what you're thinking.. trust me it's been tried before.

you remind me of Holden a little....only a funny (at times) holden

always on the verge of quittin and hatin it most of the time (likely from too much unhappy juice)

"My biggest problem with seniors is the inability to see things anyway but there own."

So true!

"In my opinion if im climbing in my fifties, I made some poor decisions along the way."

So false! for an arborist, anyway. If getting into trees is such a lowly chore, then you are not into trees imo and maybe in the wrong gig. The most overrated haberdashery is a white hat. There's an Ubergeezer category for 60+ and there are 3 of us signed up so far, I hear.

Climbing is eternal. So Dave are you going to show your stuff at the geezers?
It may be fun to be the king here in this virtual reality, but the trouble is...

it ain't real. :pumpkin2:

Windermere FL Jan 21. Be there or be cubical, or in a cubicle.

"My biggest problem with seniors is the inability to see things anyway but there own."

So true!

"In my opinion if im climbing in my fifties, I made some poor decisions along the way."

So false! for an arborist, anyway. If getting into trees is such a lowly chore, then you are not into trees imo and maybe in the wrong gig. The most overrated haberdashery is a white hat. There's an Ubergeezer category for 60+ and there are 3 of us signed up so far, I hear.

Climbing is eternal. So Dave are you going to show your stuff at the geezers?
It may be fun to be the king here in this virtual reality, but the trouble is...

it ain't real. :pumpkin2:

Windermere FL Jan 21. Be there or be cubical, or in a cubicle.

How bout you and me just set up a contest and have at it with witnesses. I don't have time for that extravagance right now...I just bought a new crane and paying the bills is where it is at for me right now.

Got a Link?

... I wouldn't be buying a GRCS for what you're thinking.. trust me it's been tried before.

I have a capstan wench already, I'm talking about giving it another job. I use it now only rarely, and mostly for dragging stuff, not lifting. I'd like to get more use out of it, if it works great if it doesn't no loss except time to fiddle with it.

I have a capstan wench already, I'm talking about giving it another job. I use it now only rarely, and mostly for dragging stuff, not lifting. I'd like to get more use out of it, if it works great if it doesn't no loss except time to fiddle with it.

I got you now. I actually thought about that years ago, now that you bring it up. Never bothered trying it though. It wasn't worth the money for the winch, or whatever to me I guess. Besides, I was probably busy spending it on wenches and booze at the time. :laugh:

Thanks Reg!

I see your points on the system of the double bollard. Hey when are you coming to Vancouver!

Probably sometime after the winter Ricky, although the wife and I will have to start getting along a little better first

Back