City wants to cut down my California Live Oak...Help Needed!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefreqofnature

Reaction score
Hello All,

I live in Orange County, Southern California. I have what I belive is a California Live Oak in the parkway in front of my home. When I came home from work a couple of days ago, I saw that the street and tree was painted for removal and there was a notice on my door saying the tree was going to be removed.

I called the number on the notice and the next day a guy from the city came out and talked to me. He said he noticed a hole in the rootball (I'll try and post photos later) and the tree would have to be removed. I talked to him for about a half hour (nice guy) and tried to talk him out of removing the tree. He said he would talk to his supervisor and get back to me.

Back story...
About 5 or 6 years ago the same thing happened and the guy that came out then said, Ok we wont cut it down but we'll keep an eye on it and if it gets worse then we'll have to take action. That guy is no longer around and there don't seem to be any 'records' about it.

Now...
The tree is very healthy. New growth at the ends, no visible infection. For the last many years the tree has been healing itself.
The area of the hole and local sournding dead wood is slowly being grown over by new wood. Again, I'll try and post photos later.
There have been high winds in the winter the last many years and the tree is rock solid. When I reach into the hole there is dead wood inside that is dry and obviously old. There is very little moisture and I can't find any mushroom/fungus growth in the hole. In fact as I was reaching in, looking for wet or infected pulp, and pulling out dead wood, I accidently found 2 very happy and fat salamanders that I promply put back.

Bottom line...
The tree seems very healthy.
There is new growth around the area of the hole. That tells me the tree is fixing/healing itself. And this has been going on for the last many years.
The tree is rock solid.
But, the city want to cut it down for liability reasions. 'When in doubt, cut it out'
The guy I spoke with is not a, 'I'm a cutter, I'm going to cut it' kind of guy. He says he's an Arborits. We had a good conversation and it seems possible to work with him...if I can prove, suggest, imply, cajole him into not cutting it down.

Here's what I'm thinking...
I want to present to him and or his supervisor, overwhelming evidence to leave this tree be. I want to get some kind of protical or other guidlines or information, from a source he'll find unquestionable, that the situation is salvageable and in his best intrest to save the tree.

I need your help...
What resources are out there that I can use to save this 45 year old trophy tree?

Thank you for your help!:bowdown:

thefreq

I want to present to him and or his supervisor, overwhelming evidence to leave this tree be. I want to get some kind of protical or other guidlines or information, from a source he'll find unquestionable, that the situation is salvageable and in his best intrest to save the tree.

If you don't mind spending a little money, what I would go is to the ISA site: International Society of Arboriculture and find a certified arborist in your area and if you can afford it and one is close enough get a ISA board certified master arborist.

Hire them to come out and do a evaluation and put it on paper and if the tree is healthy as you suspect, you will have a professional to back you up.

If that doesn't work to convince them to keep the tree, you will need to find out what your legal options are. I suspect you may have the right to present a case to the city council, in which you could potentially have the certified arborist come any explain why the tree is safe. While you have looked at a number of aspect of the trees condition, a professional could do a much more complete assessment and I have no doubt his opinion would carry much more weight.

It could get expensive, but I can't think of any other way that your going to legitimately challenge the city workers findings, because at this point, it appears that it is basically your opinion as a home owner (no offense) vs the opinion of the professional who works for the city.

Since this guy isn't gung-ho to cut down the tree, having a professional arborist take the liability of saying the tree is safe may be enough to convince him to leave it alone.

Pictures please, a area overview & up closer trunk root plate

Here are the photos I promised...

026.jpg

Looking from the South

027.jpg

South closeup

029.jpg

East side of tree

030.jpg

North side

031.jpg

West side

3 closeups of hole...
032.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

Even thou these last 3 are a little over exposed, you can see the leading edge of the new growth surounding the dead wood and over growing it.
Pretty remarkable

I did some research on the internet and found out the guy I spoke with IS an ISA class A= certified arborist.
But I haven't heard back from anyone from the city sence I first posted.

Thank you all for your help to save this tree.

you reached into the hole--did you probe with coathanger/yardstick to find depth?

evidence of fungal canker to right of hole but i agree prob not enuf to condemn.

do you own the tree but it is the city's easement?

jamied is right--hire a BCMA. If you want a tele-report that is strong and affordable, pm me. :msp_wink:

While not to familiar with the species and its decay response, tis looks only a wee tree and nay great a concern even if fails. Perhaps help your local tree officer rig a 4x4 and a bull rope to show how much pull the tree may take. Do so with gentle due care for bark protection and passing cars.
At the same time ask that the many vacant nature strips be infilled with suitable new tree plantings, so if in time this tree needs to go its loss is recovered.

Treeseer, missed ya in the ISA Sydney crowd twas big mob, not to worry a good time any hoo.

I see paint marks upon the kerb and road so suspect civil works wish tree gone as impact their precious bitumen and concrete. Also a white mark upon tree trunk indicative of condemned tree the Tree officer mind is made up. This is all to familiar process as my own. Still all may not lost be persuasive and helpful in the decision process again ask for new trees now and perhaps nego this tree's loss after suitable establishment time eg 3 to 5 years.

You would think the city would have more important issues to address than driving around looking for trees to remove, good luck, hope you get to keep it.

Is it really yer tree? I doubt it but if it is then yer tree is lifting yer sidewalk so you had better take it down before you get yer ass sued. You might have better luck complaining about cold soup or something.

Is it really yer tree? I doubt it but if it is then yer tree is lifting yer sidewalk so you had better take it down before you get yer ass sued. You might have better luck complaining about cold soup or something.

Dan you should drive out there and climb it and limb it for them.

Dan you should drive out there and climb it and limb it for them.

Why should I? Regardless of the health of the tree the sidewalk is getting damaged. Its not my rules. Hey, we could all be like my 5 year old and make up the rules as we see fit . Yes yes?

The OP should be glad the city is not making him pay out of pocket for keeping the place safe. Someplaces the HO has to pay for street tree removal when there are problems like that. It also looks like the roots of that tree are into the utilities. Well, I never said the people who planned for planting were all that together. Hell, at this point I am about to drive out there, walk down the sidewalk, trip and retire. Who is gonna pay me?

Hello All,

I live in Orange County, Southern California. I have what I belive is a California Live Oak in the parkway in front of my home. When I came home from work a couple of days ago, I saw that the street and tree was painted for removal and there was a notice on my door saying the tree was going to be removed.

I called the number on the notice and the next day a guy from the city came out and talked to me. He said he noticed a hole in the rootball (I'll try and post photos later) and the tree would have to be removed. I talked to him for about a half hour (nice guy) and tried to talk him out of removing the tree. He said he would talk to his supervisor and get back to me.

Back story...
About 5 or 6 years ago the same thing happened and the guy that came out then said, Ok we wont cut it down but we'll keep an eye on it and if it gets worse then we'll have to take action. That guy is no longer around and there don't seem to be any 'records' about it.

Now...
The tree is very healthy. New growth at the ends, no visible infection. For the last many years the tree has been healing itself.
The area of the hole and local sournding dead wood is slowly being grown over by new wood. Again, I'll try and post photos later.
There have been high winds in the winter the last many years and the tree is rock solid. When I reach into the hole there is dead wood inside that is dry and obviously old. There is very little moisture and I can't find any mushroom/fungus growth in the hole. In fact as I was reaching in, looking for wet or infected pulp, and pulling out dead wood, I accidently found 2 very happy and fat salamanders that I promply put back.

Bottom line...
The tree seems very healthy.
There is new growth around the area of the hole. That tells me the tree is fixing/healing itself. And this has been going on for the last many years.
The tree is rock solid.
But, the city want to cut it down for liability reasions. 'When in doubt, cut it out'
The guy I spoke with is not a, 'I'm a cutter, I'm going to cut it' kind of guy. He says he's an Arborits. We had a good conversation and it seems possible to work with him...if I can prove, suggest, imply, cajole him into not cutting it down.

I need your help...
What resources are out there that I can use to save this 45 year old trophy tree?

Thank you for your help!:bowdown:

thefreq

What resources are there to save the tree? Well you could abandoned civilization and move into a cave but if you are planning to live in that nice developement then the tree will have to come down. Unless the city will sign over any and all responsiblty to you then it might be saved. Do you want the responsiblilty ?

Why should I? Regardless of the health of the tree the sidewalk is getting damaged. Its not my rules. Hey, we could all be like my 5 year old and make up the rules as we see fit . Yes yes?

The OP should be glad the city is not making him pay out of pocket for keeping the place safe. Someplaces the HO has to pay for street tree removal when there are problems like that. It also looks like the roots of that tree are into the utilities. Well, I never said the people who planned for planting were all that together. Hell, at this point I am about to drive out there, walk down the sidewalk, trip and retire. Who is gonna pay me?

I don't think most people understand easements and Right of way, and that if it is in the city easement and the city has an agreement they could remove it or like you said make them pay for removal.

Back