Cleaining Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old Blue

Old Blue

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
I took the chain of my saw the other night. It's a Husky 455. When I pulled the cover off I decided to clean it up while it was off.

I was at the shop and used the solvent tank with the brush. I took some care not to splash the solvent any where that it didn't look like it should be, and it worked great. I cleaned the bar while I was at it.

I figure I should re lube all the moving parts before putting another chain back on.

Was this an OK way to clean her up?
Is there anything I need to watch out for?
How does everybody else clean their saws and about how often?

What say you?

Old Blue
With a nice clean saw in....
Kali-bone-ya

H 2 H

H 2 H

FLASHER
For me just a firewood cutter

After each day of cutting I take the bar off and clean the grooves out; blow off the chain and bar and check bar spocket and grease it

Then clean the area around drive spocket with a 1 1/2" paint brush and blow it off

Check air filter

Put the b/c back on

Fill the bar oil

Check the chain tension (only when the saw has cooled down) and touch up the chain with a file

Blow off the saw and I'm ready for the next day

But I don't use any solvents on it when cleaning - IMO

Guido Salvage

Guido Salvage

Supreme Saw Whoreder
What "solvent" are you using? How does it react with plastic, paint and pot metal? If your cleaning is done on a regular basis you should only need compressed air, a brush, a rag and perhaps a thin blade to keep things clean. When regular cleanings are not done, then you are faced with dealing with caked on crud.

HeRoze

HeRoze

Addicted to ArboristSite
if it's clean and it runs, you did fine. As GS said, your solvent should be friendly to your base mat'l. only obvious stuff from there -- basically don't dunk the saw. for cleaning cruddy parts I start a bucket and hot soapy water... keeps the part washer fluid fresh a bit longer. I think the soap is Dawn with OxyClean... nothing fancy. Lots of folks seem to like PurplePower for a spray-on cleaner.