Clean burn chamber and super easy starts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 585335 I haven't messed with the timing yet, it sure starts easy, hard to find 10 mm plugs in stock anywhere. I think I can drop down a heat range or two.
Should I patent the idea?
No. Only one plug is firing. Electricity will always take the shortest path. To run duel plugs, need two ignition systems.

Both spark, two ignition systems would allow you to fire at different times, one coil/Magneto gets simultaneous spark, beauty of a magneto, increasing current with rpm. The potential you are referring to is a case of specific duty. Where the v/c is making a device function. A spark plug is just a heating element that as long as you apply v/c it's going to spark. Unless I am totally confused and this is not a magneto. Also the hydrocarbons defiantly cleaned up, I can go use an emission analyzer next and video the reading. I think I am on to something

Im not an electrical engineer, but sense tells me that the magneto on that saw can only produce so much current and voltage, and it take s a tremendous amount of voltage to bridge the gap in one spark plug. My guess is that all your doing is plugging your decomp hole. There just isnt enough juice produced to produce strong spark in both those plugs IMO. Not trying to be a hater, just my .02

Dual plugs are a ptretty standard mod on bikes, helps even up the flame front and is usful to prevent knocking with high comp. I did a similar thing on a Ducati 450 with the decomp, running a separate coil though.
Had an R100s BMW with duals also, again was done to compensate for high comp heads.

As far as power goes, I think its more the resistance of the coil, not how much the rotor/stator outputs...

I'm pretty sure I understand how dual spark plugs work on my dads Hemi. One fires at Tdc and one fires a fraction of a second later on the down stroke to eliminate any upburnt fuel for more power and less emissions. I read this about ten years ago when I was wondering why his Dodge v8 had 16 plugs. I could be wrong but I don't have the interest to look it up again. I know his dodge has a complicated computer system that controls these things. I don't know how something simple like a saw designed for one plug could benefit from putting another plug in the decomp hole then splicing the wires. If they do fire at the same time won't both just be firing with half the spark as one plug? I'm no expert at all and this is the first time I've seen this done so I think it's cool but I'm pretty sure the guys that came up with M-tronic and strato saws and cats in the muff already thought about this and moved on. I give you @Chashowlett a thumbs up for trying something new.

P-51 had dual plugs. Disconnect one Mag and loose about 200 rpm. They tuned them that way anyway.
All piston aircraft engines post around 1930 have 2 spark plugs per cylinder powered separate mags for safety reasons & on run up are required a mag drop test. All the twin plug head race bikes Iv"e come across either have a dual output or 2 mags fitted; as far as I understand a 2connected together plugs with out put from a single outlet mag supplied by a single looped in HT lead will spark at the point of least resistance so the spark will arc at whichever plug has the least resistance & on that firing point " that's your lot" you only get a proper spark at one of the plugs,looking at the OP's set up i would think the plug with the proper plug cap would usually be the "sparker"

Nice, I swear the hydrocarbons are lower and as for the lose wire, remember model T's ? Anyway it runs on either one or both and as far as flame travel compared to quench, I guess I will find out with the emissions analyzer. Who's there now?

Nice, I swear the hydrocarbons are lower and as for the lose wire, remember model T's ? Anyway it runs on either one or both and as far as flame travel compared to quench, I guess I will find out with the emissions analyzer. Who's there now?
Well you could be onto something, just that all the successful above standard set ups have gone the same way in so far as a dual port or 2 mag set up, would have thought with the R&D that 's gone into it someone would have tried & found your set up to be an improvement on what now seems the norm for twin plug setups The Jackson conversions on 1 pot Manx Norton race bikes had the plugs sparking at different times the 10mm "extra"plug sparked a few degrees after the std 14mm plug & IIRC produced an extra up to 4 BHP but at that time mid 50's the dual port mag was a bit troublesome , the cars in the 500cc F3 class were quick on the straights though, but I guess reliability was more important than power/speed as to win a race first you first have to finish.

All piston aircraft engines post around 1930 have 2 spark plugs per cylinder powered separate mags for safety reasons & on run up are required a mag drop test. All the twin plug head race bikes Iv"e come across either have a dual output or 2 mags fitted; as far as I understand a 2connected together plugs with out put from a single outlet mag supplied by a single looped in HT lead will spark at the point of least resistance so the spark will arc at whichever plug has the least resistance & on that firing point " that's your lot" you only get a proper spark at one of the plugs,looking at the OP's set up i would think the plug with the proper plug cap would usually be the "sparker"

I used a P-51 because most folks know the name. And it was a few years ago. And a great thread on Practical Machinist

A guy posted a link to a video of a guy firing a Merlin in his little English garage........about 2/3 the size of an American one.

Anyway......he's got it strapped down to a pallet and fires it off.

No exhaust headers. Just tongues of flames spitting out of the bare heads......then it started.

Troll: well he ruined that engine with no exhaust system!!!!

Ol Phart: nope.....it's fine...

Troll: shows what you know!!! He'll warp the valves!!!

Ol Phart: Nope. It's fine.

Troll: I've rebuilt/raced/whatever engines all my life blah blah blah

Ol Phart then Runs thru the complete tuning and break in of a Merlin. Ending with something like "tune to a 7" blue flame off the head and run for 8 hours. It was his job at one time.....

The garage engine was actually a Meteor.......but that's a good read too.

I really don't think both plugs spark at the same time. One plug will inevitably breakover first and then the spark is actually a channel of ionized air with relatively low resistance hence the other plug is deprived of the voltage needed to initiate a spark.

Latest posts

Back