Clean out that thimble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodsrover

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm usually pretty good about cleaning my chimney, (3-wall Duri-Vent) and I try to get up on the roof a few times a year and run a brush down it. As a matter of fact, I just cleaned it last Wednesday. One thing I'm not good at is pulling the stove out and cleaning the horizonal pipe that goes through the thimble.

It hasn't been too cold out yet and I've been burning the stove pretty cool so far. When I can home tonight it wasn't burning too well so I decided to open it up a bit and get it cranking. (You know where this story is going) Well, it got going pretty good between the first 90-deg bend and the "T" at the bottom of the vertical pipe. Not a biggie as I was home and kept things under control but it's always scary.

Guess I'll pull that stove away once or twice a year and clean that horizontal pipe out!

Be careful out there!

Jim

Woodsrover,

yep, been there, done that (about 30 years ago). I find that I get 50 % of the creosote in the horizontal pipe and the thimble (5 feet) and the other 50% in the chimney (30 feet).

I clean mine 3 times a season (beginning, 1/3 thru and 2/3 thru). Better safe than sorry.

Good you were there and I'm sure it won't happen again.

Latest posts

Back