Clean up vanish

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan,

I honestly never thought about the paint shaker method. I believe there may be a shaker up at my brothers shop.

As for muratic acid I am a little puzzled. I have used it on concrete to remove some obscenities that teenagers left in spray paint. I did not bother to dilute it and used it at 100%. It worked great at it's designed purpose which is etching concrete. As for on steel my experience has been it actually causes corrosion just like other acids. What dilution should I use to remove rust and not cause it.

Bill

Bill, You can use the typical hardware store muratic acid full strengh. Put a few onces in the tank and swish around watching the chemical reaction between the Acid and the rust. don't breath the fumes and have eye protection. The treatment with the baking soda after this proccess neutralizes any remaining acid. lightly oiling a treated suface will stop any new oxidizing from occuring. Clean steel is highly prone to oxidation and the oil creates a barrier between steel. Rust is caused by a reaction between iron and oxygen whether is air or water.

Would you do anything differently if the pickup line also rotted out, it left a black sludge throughout the tank.

That black rubber goo is some nasty stuff. I would try to scrape out what you could and let it soak in solvent of your choice. Also you dug up an old thread. There are names on there Ive never seen before. Good job,Fish would be proud of you.:clap:

As mentioned earlier.....much earlier, in this thread, denatured alcohol.

Yes, Fish will be proud of you!!!

As mentioned earlier.....much earlier, in this thread, denatured alcohol.

I scraped quite a bit of the goo from the pickup line out then tried the denatured alcohol and that cleaned it out real nice. I would advize anyone to just use the alcohol and don't waste your time scraping.

Latest posts

Back