Cleaned Chimney Today, Too Much Creosote???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
logbutcher

logbutcher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Actually I run it on low about 85 to 90 percent of the time with a hot fire every 24 hours or so, taking up the 10 percent or so of time left. Second, I am from Montana born and raised and I am sure our burn season up there is worse or same as yours and Blaze King is the stove of choice up there and I hear Alaska, probably due to the cold and long burn seasons plus the 40 hour burn time of the stove at low. Third the cat is warrantied for six years of unlimited use, so no worries, and most get 6-10 years of service before it needs replaced.

Part Numero 1:
cats are PRO-RATED for six years with each year (dependent on manufacturer) decreasing the amount toward a new cat like your tires.
Excaliber--you're new to this wood heat thing. Please check facts. The real life of ceramic cats is +/- 12,000 hours FROM THE MANUFACTURERS. Newer all steel cats MAY have a longer life.

Here is some out of the manual: CATALYTIC COMBUSTOR
This wood heater contains a catalytic combustor, which needs periodic inspection and replacement for proper operation. It is against the law to operate, - this wood heater in a manner inconsistent with operating instructions in this manual, or if the catalytic element is deactivated or removed. The combustor is a ceramic or stainless steel honeycomb on which is coated a catalyst. The catalyst may be a combination of one or more precious metals, including following: platinum, palladium, rhodium and cerium. The catalyst chemically lowers the combustion temperature of the smoke from a wood fire, thereby allowing more smoke to burn, and both increasing efficiency and lowering emissions. The catalyst is generally operational while the stove thermometer registers in the "Active" zone. If the thermometer does not stay in the Active zone, but falls into the "Inactive" zone for most, of the burn cycle, the thermostat could be set too low or the catalyst may need cleaning or replacement.

Numero Dos: Re-read. I've used cat stoves since first engineered in the late 80's. C'mon, due diligence boy. You need to be correct here.

CATALYTIC COMBUSTOR, CLEANING
Under certain conditions, ash particles may become attached to the face of the catalyst. These may be seen while the catalyst is in the glowing stage, or when the fire is out. Any deposit on the visible face of the catalyst should be removed. Wait until the fire is out and the stove is cold. (Hot ash in a vacuum cleaner bag will burn.) Brushing the catalyst with a soft bristle paint brush will remove some deposits. Passing a plastic vacuum cleaner wand
or brush near the face of the catalyst will remove most deposits. Never scrape the catalyst with any hard tool or brush. Some stove owners have run pipe cleaner through every individual cell of the catalyst. This is not needed, and may actually do more harm than good. Limit cleaning to the face of the catalyst. For more thorough cleaning see page 46-48 of this manual.
Note: Never remove a combustor without approved combustor gasket in hand as original gasket will fall apart when removed from stove.
TIP: A nice hot fire will usually prove to be the best method of cleaning the combustor of deposits.

So very little maintenance for the usefulness of being able to burn a long low fire is you so want.

Numero Tres: Right. We've read that and do it. No need to quote. You can also read the Corning cat manual, the original manufacturer of wood stove cats.

Now a challenge question: what is the expected life of most ceramic catalysts ? VC, BK, older Jotul, Woodstock, etc..... in wood stoves.
Don't answer too quickly now.:eek2:

This sounds like YOUR BK will cure anything.....except maybe hubris. :byebye::byebye:

Misfit138

Misfit138

ArboristSite Operative
Not to be rude but, is the above an attempt at humor? A couple tablespoons of creosote after an entire year of burning is hardly a concern.

No, I am not trying to be funny, nor was I being sarcastic.
After each season of burning 24/7, my chimney is simply much cleaner, and looking at the photos made me notice the stark contrast.
I did say "I hate to be the one to disagree". I am honestly surprised that no one else feels that the chimney in the photos looks pretty dirty.

cheeves
Actually I run it on low about 85 to 90 percent of the time with a hot fire every 24 hours or so, taking up the 10 percent or so of time left. Second, I am from Montana born and raised and I am sure our burn season up there is worse or same as yours and Blaze King is the stove of choice up there and I hear Alaska, probably due to the cold and long burn seasons plus the 40 hour burn time of the stove at low. Third the cat is warrantied for six years of unlimited use, so no worries, and most get 6-10 years of service before it needs replaced.

Here is some out of the manual: CATALYTIC COMBUSTOR
This wood heater contains a catalytic combustor, which needs periodic inspection and replacement for proper operation. It is against the law to operate, - this wood heater in a manner inconsistent with operating instructions in this manual, or if the catalytic element is deactivated or removed. The combustor is a ceramic or stainless steel honeycomb on which is coated a catalyst. The catalyst may be a combination of one or more precious metals, including following: platinum, palladium, rhodium and cerium. The catalyst chemically lowers the combustion temperature of the smoke from a wood fire, thereby allowing more smoke to burn, and both increasing efficiency and lowering emissions. The catalyst is generally operational while the stove thermometer registers in the "Active" zone. If the thermometer does not stay in the Active zone, but falls into the "Inactive" zone for most, of the burn cycle, the thermostat could be set too low or the catalyst may need cleaning or replacement.

CATALYTIC COMBUSTOR, CLEANING
Under certain conditions, ash particles may become attached to the face of the catalyst. These may be seen while the catalyst is in the glowing stage, or when the fire is out. Any deposit on the visible face of the catalyst should be removed. Wait until the fire is out and the stove is cold. (Hot ash in a vacuum cleaner bag will burn.) Brushing the catalyst with a soft bristle paint brush will remove some deposits. Passing a plastic vacuum cleaner wand
or brush near the face of the catalyst will remove most deposits. Never scrape the catalyst with any hard tool or brush. Some stove owners have run pipe cleaner through every individual cell of the catalyst. This is not needed, and may actually do more harm than good. Limit cleaning to the face of the catalyst. For more thorough cleaning see page 46-48 of this manual.
Note: Never remove a combustor without approved combustor gasket in hand as original gasket will fall apart when removed from stove.
TIP: A nice hot fire will usually prove to be the best method of cleaning the combustor of deposits.

So very little maintenance for the usefulness of being able to burn a long low fire is you so want.
Catalytic Converters don't work. I had one of the first ones built back in the 70's. Someone needs to invent a scrubber for wood stoves. Maybe a multi layered honeycombed ceramic setup. SOMETHING!! Present Converters are at most maybe a 6% improvement.

EXCALIBER

EXCALIBER

ArboristSite Guru
Well I think a lot has changed since the 70's guys. Our cars went from having 4 barrel carbs to throttle body fuel injected, to multiport fuel injected. TV's went from huge 500 lbs monsters to one small enough to hang like a picture. Battery powered drills, did they even have them in the 70's now have 18 or more volts and run like a corded drill. Like I said just check one out in person and see how it works before you condemn them. This article may also help The Complete Catalytic Combustor - The Chimney Sweep News

Sorry for the slow reply I was at work

cheeves
Well I think a lot has changed since the 70's guys. Our cars went from having 4 barrel carbs to throttle body fuel injected, to multiport fuel injected. TV's went from huge 500 lbs monsters to one small enough to hang like a picture. Battery powered drills, did they even have them in the 70's now have 18 or more volts and run like a corded drill. Like I said just check one out in person and see how it works before you condemn them. This article may also help The Complete Catalytic Combustor - The Chimney Sweep News

Sorry for the slow reply I was at work
Like I said about a 6% difference. I'll take my Tempwood (downdrafter) over all these highpriced stoves. Fast starting and after it gets cold NO KINLIN!!! OH First one paid $ 325 second one $50!

logbutcher

logbutcher

Addicted to ArboristSite
You're both full of excess enthusiasm without substance or experience. Both, you hear. Both. (Due to Moderators' requirements, I am unable to really say what needs to be said. Pardon moi. )

Cats are fine, do an excellent job as engineered, but Ex, will not cure VD, your dandruff, or heat for that "40 hour miracle". Heat that is. Heat.

And you with the Tempwood in tropical southern Mass--I still use a Tempwood in my shop. For fast quick heat in an uninsulated building, it is fine.
It is very old technology, though effective for back then. As a downdraft, simple, steel stove it heats fast, but with both air flaps shut down it WILL produce creosote and die also fast; its firebricks are only to protect the steel. We use it in construction for burning when salamanders make too much noise and smell. It is light enough for two manly men to carry into a job site. The Tempwood will burn anything. Nothing though compared with post EPA reg cat OR non-cat wood stoves and gasifiers that burn much cleaner, more efficiently, with longer heating burns. Period.

You both need some dope slaps to get your fact chops in order.

JMNSHO

P.S. Can we dispense with the flue pics ? Kinda reminds me....................:popcorn:

cheeves
c
You're both full of excess enthusiasm without substance or experience. Both, you hear. Both. (Due to Moderators' requirements, I am unable to really say what needs to be said. Pardon moi. )

Cats are fine, do an excellent job as engineered, but Ex, will not cure VD, your dandruff, or heat for that "40 hour miracle". Heat that is. Heat.

And you with the Tempwood in tropical southern Mass--I still use a Tempwood in my shop. For fast quick heat in an uninsulated building, it is fine.
It is very old technology, though effective for back then. As a downdraft, simple, steel stove it heats fast, but with both air flaps shut down it WILL produce creosote and die also fast; its firebricks are only to protect the steel. We use it in construction for burning when salamanders make too much noise and smell. It is light enough for two manly men to carry into a job site. The Tempwood will burn anything. Nothing though compared with post EPA reg cat OR non-cat wood stoves and gasifiers that burn much cleaner, more efficiently, with longer heating burns. Period.

You both need some dope slaps to get your fact chops in order.

JMNSHO

P.S. Can we dispense with the flue pics ? Kinda reminds me....................:popcorn:
Anytime you want to try and dope slap me Know It ALL be my guest!!!

logbutcher

logbutcher

Addicted to ArboristSite
c
Anytime you want to try and dope slap me Know It ALL be my guest!!!

Ah yes, the humor post.

The "know" comes from doing, not knowing. Give it time Cheevie, give it time. You'll get there....maybe. :confused2:

The "dope slap" comes out of a non-violent light hearted light touch to the head given by one's superior when he/she sees you screwing up. As in " I did not use trigger discipline when handling my weapon keeping the first finger off the trigger. I shot myself in the groin." :cry: Or, "I forgot to visit Plymouth Rock on Thanksgiving ."

Your annointed dope slap could come harder Cheeves. Lighten up. :jester:

P.S. We have grammar Nazis in attendance. Do not use: "It ALL be my guest !!!" again.

borat

borat

ArboristSite Operative
No, I am not trying to be funny, nor was I being sarcastic.
After each season of burning 24/7, my chimney is simply much cleaner, and looking at the photos made me notice the stark contrast.
I did say "I hate to be the one to disagree". I am honestly surprised that no one else feels that the chimney in the photos looks pretty dirty.

You burning natural gas?

If you think his pipe is "pretty dirty", you may not have seen what a real dirty pipe looks like. From a safety perspective, his pipe is fine.

bjorn773

bjorn773

ArboristSite Operative
I have a BK Princess myself. The pics had quite a bit more creosote buildup than I typically see in mine. That said, every installation will be different. I have a straight 15 foot chimney... no bends. I also burn dampenned back 90% of the time. I am not saying yours is excessive, just more heavily deposited than mine. It seems to me that as long as you clean the chimney yearly, you will likely be fine. A lot depends on the moisture content of the wood. Cat's are great for achieving cleaner long burns, that's pretty much the main advantage. They are pretty comparable to non cats when burned hot. It's when you have it dampenned down that the cat comes in most. My opinion, and it's only that, is it looks acceptable to me.

Misfit138

Misfit138

ArboristSite Operative
You burning natural gas?
No, mainly Oak.
If you think his pipe is "pretty dirty", you may not have seen what a real dirty pipe looks like.
No, I was just making a contrast between mine and his.
From a safety perspective, his pipe is fine.

I did not say it was unsafe, merely that mine looks much cleaner in contrast, and that I hated to be the one to disagree, and that I am surprised that the general consensus was that it did not look dirty. (shrug)

Reading is fun.

Misfit138

Misfit138

ArboristSite Operative
...The pics had quite a bit more creosote buildup than I typically see in mine. That said, every installation will be different. I have a straight 15 foot chimney... no bends..
I have a relatively short, and completely straight chimney too. Among other contributing factors, I believe it helps.
My opinion, and it's only that, is it looks acceptable to me.
Well said.

testlight

testlight

ArboristSite Operative
Thumbs up, that is a clean chimney. Mine, which is straight looks worse than that after a week or two. I clean my capper every two or three weeks and clean my stack every month, I get about a coffee can's worth from both. It would be better if I didn't shut my stove down at night, but I have to because my house will not hold the heat well. If you want to see a sooty chimney I can really hook you up!

4seasons

4seasons

ArboristSite Guru
If that is how much buildup you get in a season you are doing great.
Mine looks like that after only a month or two. That is why I clean my every month during burning season. But my stove is pre-EPA so that probably has a lot to do with it.