Cleaners for old saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What do you guys use to remove forty years worth of oil and gas and saw shavings that is caked into cement? I have used engine degreaser and carb cleaner with mixed results

I use a 12 gallon parts washer with K-1 and a brush that has the K-1 flowing through it. Sometimes it takes a little elbow grease to get all the accumulation off. Then it out to the driveway with the air-hose to blow the loose stuff off and to dry the saw off. Rebuilt over 200 saws using this method and I very pleased with the results. Sometimes I use a little carb cleaner on a rag to clean the tough stuff.
So many saws, so little time :cool: Larry

I use perchloroethylene/dry cleaners solvent. Let it soak for a bit, then use a brush to clean the stuff that doesn't fall off. The solvent evaporates quickly, i.e. volatile, so be careful about ventilation.

Go to your local Discount Auto Parts store, pick up a gallon jug of 'Purple Cleaner' ($5) or 'Simple Green' ($7). Mix it about 5-1 with water in a spray bottle, squirt your saw, use a parts brush on tough spots, and rinse. It won't hurt plastic or factory paint, unless you mix it too strong. A little goes a long way and it dissolves saw gunk like magic.

The electronics industry has used several compounds which do an amazing job of cleaning grease/oil, used on circuit boards. Try one of the electronic cleaners containing Trichloroethane (Spray-Clean) or Trichlorofloroethane / Trichlorofloromethane (Electro Wash). Any of the Trichloro- compounds just take caked on grease and wash it away as if it were dust - seems to change chemical composition of oil & grease to something that is more like sawdust & any residue that can be rinsed away with water. These are not cheap, usually $4 - 8 / can, but you don't need much at all. No guarantees for any of the rubber parts you use it on. Also, it dries in seconds, so use it in a well vented area.

Purple Cleaner

Hey Treeclimber, I was wondering if you are talking about the product Auto Zone sells as a water soluble degreaser? I had a gallon jug in my hand on the way to the cash register when I saw the warning about using it on aluminum parts. Sounds like bad stuff for a chainsaw. Russ

Whatever, Russ.
Y'all can use toxic chemicals on yer nasty saws, I'll keep mine spotless with the water soluble 'purple' cleaner. I've used the toxic stuff with chemicals you can't pronounce and stuff that evaporates in seconds (after it gets in your lungs and damages who-knows-what) and eats the rubber parts. Simple Green is good too, but it's $2 more per gallon than the purple stuff. A gallon will last you a year though.

Hey Treeclimber165, sounds like your having a little problem there. I asked you a simple question for your own benefit, thought maybe you hadn`t seen the warning. I saw it and I wont use that product but it appears to be the product you are describing, right down to the price. Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the 'tude, Russ. I guess I got a little defensive about all the criticism of a product from people who had never used it. I'm sure it might eat aluminum at FULL strength, if it sat long enough. But using it full strength would be comperable to filling your sprayer with Roundup full strength to spray weeds in your yard. Diluted down to a suitable ratio, it works great without eating your saw. I use it about 5-1 for heavy degreasing. Helped out a friend a month ago, tuned up her car (with 160,000 miles) that had not had a tune up in several years. Took 2 apps of purple stuff to find the engine, but it looked like a different engine afterwards. Made it easier to do the tune up, too.

I like Castrol Super Clean. It seems to be similar to the purple cleaners. They both do a great job, really amazing in fact. You should use use rubber gloves and wear eye protection. They both seem mildly caustic to skin and I wouldn't want either in my eyes. Let it soak a minute, then brush with a parts brush, then rinse with water, and repeat. The second time usually does it. For clean up after running to remove new oil and grease, Westly's White wall tire cleaner is a milder version of these products and is cheaper, I think.

Latest posts

Back