cleaning my hand saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishman72

Reaction score
Dumb question but I'm sick of scraping with the barbecue brush:

What's the best way to get sap buildup off my hand saw? will chemicals (gas, mineral spirits, etc) hurt future trees the way they hurt my nose and eyes?

Thanks.

Irishman72

Dumb question but I'm sick of scraping with the barbecue brush:

What's the best way to get sap buildup off my hand saw? will chemicals (gas, mineral spirits, etc) hurt future trees the way they hurt my nose and eyes?

Thanks.

Irishman72

Automotive brake cleaner spray should not leave any type of residue once it dries. But be carefull, some automotive cleaners will melt any plastic you have on the saw (ie. synthetic handle). Carb cleaner is the worst but brake cleaner may do it also.

BTW, Carb cleaner has a lubricant residue.

I use brake cleaner for a number of things including cleaning lock mechanisms of carabiners and micrograbs or gibb's style ascenders.

The Sherrill Tree catalogue says to clean mechanical rope grabs with mineral spirits, so I am sure it would work equally well on your saw.

I picked up a large baking pan in a used wholesale kitchen place. I take the blade out of sugoi and soak it in kerosene. It softens sap enough to wipe off with a rag.

Thanks guys. Will try these this week. Pruning a Chinese elm Friday and I always end up with petrified sawdust on the blade after these.

get some spray designed for tablesaw blades....you will never gum up again.....BOSTICH makes one,

get some spray designed for tablesaw blades....you will never gum up again.....BOSTICH makes one,

:agree2: Oh yeah I know why I already.

Not sure how it would work for hand saws but I use a spray in my wood shop to prevent (slow down) build up on saw blades, cutter bits etc. seems to work well.

This isnt what I use but its the same idea just more expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Blade-Saver-Spray-Bottle/dp/B000R5I7JY

Back