Cleaning my saw...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunther274

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Been cutting alot of sappy fir for most of the winter, and my saw is getting covered with sap and grime. I am wondering if there is any harm in just going at it with brake cleaner or if that is the stupidest idea? I want to get all the junk out from around the carb and everything.

hrm. thats a tough one. I dont think i like the idea of going at the carb with brake cleaner.

usually I try to only use compressed air on my saws, but obviously sap is a different beast. You could try a tire foam type of product (put it on all your plastic before you start) which should help it resist the sap - plus it will have the added advantage of making your saw look newer :p

I think if it was at the point when you were ready to spray brake cleaner inside the saw, then its probably at the point where you could do a full tear down & actually wash the parts separately (in a parts washer or by hand). I suspect this would be your best bet - as opposed to trying to spray something on the saw & hope for the best.

Just my 2¢ though, I havent had a lot of problem with really messy sappy trees.

i have been using that foaming .99 cent oven cleaner in a can it doesnt burn my eyes or lungs out like carb or brake cleaner does and does a great job and has not hurt any plastic or rubber on any of my saws i let it soak in about 20 minutes and hose it out then air dry with pressure then i run the saw works great for me i have cleaned some horrible messes after cutting railroad timbers this way.

I have used wd40 and rubbing alcohol on my stihls with plastic covers and have no problems with fading. wd40 , just spray on let it sit for a minute or two and i use a tooth brush and a cheap paintbrush or a rag . then wash with water and dry with the air comp.

man rub wax onto all the parts you can and you have an easy time getting the sap off after you cut next time.

that works great i very much recommend that i do that also but most of the saws i buy are filthy and have to be scrubbed.

Latest posts

Back