Cleaning up old saws for resale?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used the Castro super clean with good results. I cover the carb and muffler. Soak em, brush em, hose em off. Then use compressed air to blow out most of the water then run em to finish drying

Doesn't matter what you use in regards to a cleaning solvent, good old elbow grease works the best. As others have mentioned Simple Green is good, as is WD-40. Stay away from brake cleaner and no carb spray what-so-ever on any plastic or paint.

It's always harder to clean things when it's freezing outside. Actually, it just plain sucks. An air compressor is your good friend and will cut down on time considerably.

Oil caked areas, I use gasoline........outdoors, with a good quality parts brush. It works great at cutting thru the grime. As I mentioned above, cleaning is time consuming. Power washers can cause more problems than they solve.

Carb cleaner and brake cleaner will take the staining off of Stihl's powder coat, but I don't typically use it. Air, a plastic bristled brush from the dollar store, and some mineral spirits will go a long way as others have suggested here. I wouldn't get lost in making them look perfect. Making sure they idle, oil, and cut well will go a long way. As someone else suggested, if you don't mind boxing them up- the classifieds section here is a great place to sell a saw. I have bought and sold plenty on here for fair prices, and the majority that I have listed here have sold within a day or two.

I spray them down with Purple Power and let them sit. Hose them off with a nozzle, rinse and repeat as necessary. Then I blow the saw out and run it enough to get it hot. I stuff an oil soaked paper towel down the intake to keep moisture out and try to avoid the exhaust opening.

I agree with Neal except for I use hot water. The hot water I believe is the key to getting a saw clean

I have recently used bleach white tire cleaner. Try to remove all the heavy oil and debris . Then spray some bleach white. On the plastic let sit for a few minutes then scrub with a brush and warm water . It will make the white plastic like new . I was amazed how well it worked. Purple power also work very well .

How do I prep for painting. Ive decided to do an 045 from the case up and I want to paint it. Do the cases need to be wet sanded or whats the best method? I got the light grey Ford paint from TSC. I'm ready to get going!

Back