Cleaning years of resin off chainsaw bars.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezvet

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Here's a real basic question; what does everyone do to clean an old bar of years of caked/baked on resin? I use a wood chisel to get most of it off, then a wire wheel and finally gas or cleaner. Anyone have a better quicker idea?

Here's a real basic question; what does everyone do to clean an old bar of years of caked/baked on resin? I use a wood chisel to get most of it off, then a wire wheel and finally gas or cleaner. Anyone have a better quicker idea?
Experiment with DAWN, SIMPLE GREEN, WD40, OR SKIN-SAFE OVEN CLEANER AEROSOL? It can be AMAZING to see what simple soap can do that petro solvents will not touch. Gasoline as cleaner is an invitation to skin/ nerve poison, and/or explosion/ fire risk from a light switch. Good Luck.

Experiment with DAWN, SIMPLE GREEN, WD40, OR SKIN-SAFE OVEN CLEANER AEROSOL? It can be AMAZING to see what simple soap can do that petro solvents will not touch. Gasoline as cleaner is an invitation to skin/ nerve poison, and/or explosion/ fire risk from a light switch. Good Luck.
Diesel works better than gasoline, is less volatile and less flammable.

We used that in a lumber mill to remove pitch on the roller feeds, on the edgers, when we were cutting white pine.

One other thing better to clean up sooner than later. The resins/sap will polymerize with time, just like bio-bar oils

Good ideas and we have 3 of the 4 mentioned in the house.

Diesel works better than gasoline, is less volatile and less flammable.

We used that in a lumber mill to remove pitch on the roller feeds, on the edgers, when we were cutting white pine.

One other thing better to clean up sooner than later. The resins/sap will polymerize with time, just like bio-bar oils
Thanks. I've got about 9 or 10 old bars that came as part of an auction. So I'm paying for someone else's sins.

Such complicated and dangerous answers.
Mineral spirits or WD-40 work fine. Not nearly as dangerous as lye or oven cleaner. Not as flammable as gasoline.
edit: or turpentine. Made from the same stuff as the pitch itself (and I like the smell).

If you’re talking about the resin from conifers, alcohol will dissolve it quickly. A Scotchbrite pad/sponge will speed things along some. I do this regularly in another situation and it’s much faster than mineral spirits or similar solvents.

Such complicated and dangerous answers.
Mineral spirits or WD-40 work fine. Not nearly as dangerous as lye or oven cleaner. Not as flammable as gasoline.
edit: or turpentine. Made from the same stuff as the pitch itself (and I like the smell).
Thanks, and I'll try it. Luckily (or not), I've got enough old bars to try several things.

Alcohol will be faster than turpentine.
If you have several, I’ll suggest putting them in a bag with a cup of alcohol and letting them sit for an hour or two.
When I’m cleaning various resins off things I do this, and then put a cup of household ammonia in with the alcohol for a few minutes. You can then rinse off everything easily with alcohol or water and they will be quite clean. Of course doing this outside makes it a little more pleasant.

I occasionally use hot water and dish soap. I use an abrasive scourer on any deposits. I avoid getting the bar nose too wet and rinse and dry everything immediately by hand and then on the radiator. This cleans and degreases well.

WD-40

or OFF bug spray.
Bug spray? For me, I just spray EVERYTHING on my saws off with the air compressor every week and I also spray WD-40 on everything that might have bio oil on it before I blow. I like Stihl Bio Plus for my carving saws, as well as sometimes cutting firewood. When I store my saws longer than a month, I let the saw idle with the clutch cover off as I let Stihl Premium oil run through and get rid of the bio stuff before cleaning. I also leave the oil tank full of Premium bar and chain oil. I like Bio Plus bar and chain oil when A LOT of oil may spray at me like when carving.

Latest posts

Back