Cleaning your chainsaw in the house Part 2...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moosecountry

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
In response to the original thread, I have been lucky enough to sharpen and work on my saws in the house as my shed does not have any heat! Today while taking down the Christmas tree I was using a handsaw to cut up the branches to make it easier to get out (it was about as wide as it was tall 8-9 feet!!!) My wife says, "why don't you just use your chainsaw..." So the kids got to see me run the little 2041 in the house, what a wife!! I would have used the 2171, but my oldest son says it is way too loud.

Tim

lmao, I about died at my first after christmas at the G/F's. Her dad fired up a little old mac and chopped it up. It made for an easy tree removal... lol

Welllllllllll................

About ten years ago I decided to start burning wood again. PO of the house had been burning wood when I bought the place, but I didn't trust the chimney (brick hanging on the wall). I'd been using the oil space heater I found hiding in the barn for a few years.

Needed to put in a footing for a block and flue chimney, in the centre of a one story house with no basement. Wasn't sure what was under the floor, so.....

Fired up the 034 super with a used up chain and put it through the living room floor!!

Wound up cutting a 3 x 4 foot hole in the floor. Found out this old shack was built on 8" white oak logs squared off top and bottom, laid out every two feet on 14-15" white oak (squared on top) going crossways to them. How's that for a foundation?

Wound up using the saw to put a bigger hole in the roof too. Roof was really hard on he chain! Guess that's why the fire department uses carbide.:D
Come to think of it, used it when I took out the 28" front door and put in a 36" with sidelites too.

Never cleaned the saw in the house though.

I have it lucky in every regard on this subject.

My girlfriend cleans the chainsaws:D and does it inside the house in the kitchen sink this time of year. Not only that she does it every night when I bring in my competed projects.

Next, using the chainsaw inside the house

We've been restoring an old, rambling, farmhouse with an attached barn for the last two years (June 1, 2006 is my deadline to complete it. I have a LOT to finish) Anyway, I use chainsaws inside the house almost every day. I've used one to: cut an 8x14 opening in the roof for a dormer, take 2' of rotten wood off of the bottom of the barn while I had it jacked up in the air, cut stairwell openings, cut out posts, take down walls (with the plaster and drywall removed), and many many more. I have a remmington electirc that I use if power is convenient, if not I use whatever junk limbing saw I can fire up at the moment, a poulan s25d is nice.

Mike Maas said:
What kind of $hitholes do you live in that you can run a chainsaw inside???

One that had no plumbing, central heat, or grounded electrical wiring... but that was when I started. It's better now

I have done the 'more power' remodel a couple of times. Redo bathroom, can't get new one piece tub/shower in, cut hole in wall...okay, that was cheating as I only enlarged and moved a window opening that had to be done anyhow.

Replaced original roof right down to the sill plates, rafters and all (long story). Used saw to chop the roof in sections right through the shingles.

Cut a 6x6 main beam in basement to replace it (all twisted etc.) That is when I learned a valuable lesson. Look around to see what is there. Barely got started when the fire alarm went off right over my head. That sucker almost caused a heart attack.

Harry K

Mine's about 150 years old, whatever most of the boards in the place are, They're yellow when you cut into them. Uprights ar all diferent sizes, a lot of it was cut by hand, Hard as nails too, can't drive a nail into it. All the original nails are square. Had a 35 amp hydro service and no phone when we bought it! Only heat was the oil space heater, no ductwork for a furnace. Gas furnace now, with a woodstove as our main heatsource. (It's a lot different now, but never seems to be "finished", the wife keeps coming up wih more plans...............)

Back