Climbing Boots?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats just it, I dont want to find out what it is like if it is bad. Thats what I got you Pro's for! I aint no cupcake but I do like to work smarter instead of harder. I have only done a few tree jobs and I am trying to assess my need for imidiate equipment. Number one I have already got the TRee Climbers Companion. Dont get me wrong I do have a strong knowledge of what to do and what not to do. For example Instead of going out and buying a pair of gaffs, first off I purchased a saddle, carabiners and a good arborist rope from a buddy who is a arborist. That does not mean I will not pester you all.

So Please tell me the importance of a GOOD BOOT.

Lol 70t-sorry, didn't mean to come off like a jerk.

For the work you are doing, all you'll need is probably a good pair of hiking boots. The boots that are in the wesspur catalog (Wesco's) are made for the guys that spend alot of time on spikes. If you've ever spent alot of time on a ladder in just sneakers, you know what it feels like after a couple hours on spikes without a good boot like a Wesco or something similar. Most of the guys who rope climb around here don't need anything that hardcore for footwear.

Being we are on our feet a lot of the day it is very important to have the appropiate boot for the job along with a comfortable one. I would recommend to at least get a B-1 sole class mountaineering boot. It will give you plenty of bend for walking and getting around but the sole is stiff enough for standing on spikes or in tight crotches. I prefer an alpine boot being they are nice and light but are a great all around climbing boot.

Also depends on your walet. Hiking boots are cheap but in my case I am lucky to get 3 months out of a pair. But you can spend on average $300-400 on a good pair on mountaineering or alpine boots that will last at the least a year.

I do have plans in the future to be doing an all out removal of four good sized cottonwoods. I will be climbing or spurring up these trees. So I want to do it right the first time, comfortably.

In my opinion you CANT beat a pair of Wescos. Thye are made BY HAND in USA, and aresuper comfortable. Especially when on spikes all day. Ihave two pairs....one for 7 years with NO rebuilds, and one for 2 years that will gets its first new soles this winter.
Good luck, buy them right from Wesco, and look for a pair of factory seconds.

Seems like a lot of folks looking for new sleds the past couple of weeks. :popcorn: I will ad my vote for Redwings on this thread also. Not saying Wesco are bad, I have never worn them, but I have worn just about everything else out there, and to date, Redwings work for me.

I climbed on mountaineering boots with spurs wern't all that comfortable on my arches. Bought a pair of Hoffmans. First time I used them when i got back on the ground realized how good the support was. No tired arches. Wescos have some features I would like but the wallet said Hoffmans. Pretty good bang for the buck.

Does this guy really need wesco's? He doesn't even own a set of spikes yet and has only four removals lined up. The wesco's are great for someone to whom four removals is a slow morning, but this guy could probably get away with a cheap pair of walmart work boots and use the $250 he will save for a set of spikes.

Does this guy really need wesco's? He doesn't even own a set of spikes yet and has only four removals lined up. The wesco's are great for someone to whom four removals is a slow morning, but this guy could probably get away with a cheap pair of walmart work boots and use the $250 he will save for a set of spikes.

You really want to get something going here dont ya tough guy? It is not that I only have four removals lined up. It is that I want to get the equiptment I need to do the job right. I have been trimming tree for about five years just nothing seriously. I do know enough that wearing a set of WalMart boots are not going to perform the way I want them to. You send me your address and shoe size and I will send you the best pair of WM boots and you can wear them on your next removal cupcake. LOL

Sorry man, had no idea you had so much spare cash lying around. Paid over $500 for my wesco's. Most part timers i know can't afford that for boots they are not going to be using every day.

And if you can find size 16 boots in walmart, give me a holler, would be nice to find some cheap footwear for once.:laugh:

I am almost sure that most of us started out slow or part time. Unless it was handed to us. Send me your address I promise to send you some foot wear

I am almost sure that most of us started out slow or part time.

You're right, and most of us didn't strap on our first set of spikes over $500 boots either-we were trying to save for other equipment we needed more.

I have only done a few tree jobs and I am trying to assess my need for imidiate equipment. Number one I have already got the TRee Climbers Companion. Dont get me wrong I do have a strong knowledge of what to do and what not to do. For example Instead of going out and buying a pair of gaffs, first off I purchased a saddle, carabiners and a good arborist rope from a buddy who is a arborist.

You are going from trimming to removals-a pretty good jump. And if this is your equipment list, there are a few things you are going to need that are more important than a pair of wesco's. A flipline is usually pretty handy. A second rope for any roping that needs to be done. A set of spikes makes chunking the stem much easier. And talking of chunking, i don't know what your saw situation is but a top handle trimming saw is not the best tool for the meaty part of the stem. A set of poles. Maybe a block or two, a porty, and a better set of pads for the spikes. Then maybe a pair of expensive climbing boots.

Don't get me wrong, not putting down the wesco's at all. Heck, i don't put my spikes on without them. But you have more imporant needs to fill first, imo.

Already got most of it. Only doing jobs with what I have. And the jobs I cant do because of lacking equipt my partner usually has it. You are getting kind of childish now.

In fact I have been using the claw part on two hammers to climb trees, and my craftsman handsaw to cut the trees down. Low cost but it works

In fact I have been using the claw part on two hammers to climb trees, and my craftsman handsaw to cut the trees down. Low cost but it works

I've heard of going cheap, but thats going :censored: stupid. Please say you're kidding or just looking to start some crap? Either one of those would make me feel better about you.:popcorn:

I've heard of going cheap, but thats going :censored: stupid. Please say you're kidding or just looking to start some crap? Either one of those would make me feel better about you.:popcorn:

Yes I thought it sounded pretty good with the sarcasism that was boiling. Like a little bit of sugar in some unsweetened tea. I am kidding. All in good humar! LOL

Tell you what. Since your so adamant about having the best......do a search. Its at the top of the page. This very subject has been argued OVER AND OVER on here. then you dont have to feel like your being picked on or talked down to and noone gets their feelings hurt by commnets that were made.

Almost every subject has been talked about at nausima! So do a search before every post read through the couple of hundred results then make a decision of if a new thread is valid.

Tell you what. Since your so adamant about having the best......do a search. Its at the top of the page. This very subject has been argued OVER AND OVER on here. then you dont have to feel like your being picked on or talked down to and noone gets their feelings hurt by commnets that were made.

Almost every subject has been talked about at nausima! So do a search before every post read through the couple of hundred results then make a decision of if a new thread is valid.

Yes Sir,
I would gladly do a search and I do on most issues but this stinkin dial-up is so slow I could be on the net all night. No high speed in the area. Never once thought I was being picked on. I thought we were just having a little fun and be sarcastic at the same time. My feelings aint hurt, I was told you guys were tough. Thats great bring it on. If it dont take a year to download I will send some pic's of a removal I am doing soon. Then you pro's can tear it apart. (why do i feel like i am appologizing to my wife?) I do appologize for coming across the wrong way guys.

Back