Climbing Boots?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy whatever you want budget permitting. It has been my experience that you usually get what you pay for in boots. I would not be caught dead in some Wallie World cheapies and my aching feet would start to complain after a half hour.

i wear wessco 16 inch climbing boots 6 days a week. they are a really good boot. i also have a pair of the bailey's 16 inch boots too.

I have always used Carolinas. I looked the Wescos over before I bought my last pair (probably had a half dozen or so pairs in the last 16 years of climbing) but the Wescos are just to high for me. I'm sure they are good boots but I do just fine in my carolinas. No problems with my feet hurting and I'm in trees all day about 3-4 days a week. I used the money I saved not buying the wescos on a new bull rope and flipline. On days that I don't have to spend all day in a tree I wear wally world Wolverines because they are not as hot. I used to even climb in hightop tennis shoes when I was a kid. ;)

You will need a boot with a good heel for limb walking.

Last edited:
I have always used Carolinas. I looked the Wescos over before I bought my last pair (probably had a half dozen or so pairs in the last 16 years of climbing) but the Wescos are just to high for me. I'm sure they are good boots but I do just fine in my carolinas. No problems with my feet hurting and I'm in trees all day about 3-4 days a week. I used the money I saved not buying the wescos on a new bull rope and flipline. On days that I don't have to spend all day in a tree I wear wally world Wolverines because they are not as hot. I used to even climb in hightop tennis shoes when I was a kid. ;)

You will need a boot with a good heel for limb walking.

Thankyou for the great information TreeMD!!!!!

It's all about the shank. For years I climbed on Redwing Lineman Boots. Then I got a pair of Hoffmans! No comparison in comfort.

scarpa hikers

anyone wear the world famous

hand made Scarpas

stiffer than boards, like ski boots

awsome boots

the good ones are no longer being made

gotta get em on ebay now

Scarpa Alp and Eiger boots

down right wicked!

I like Whites. Farwest is no longer gonna carry Whites so their having a clearance sell on them.
Good luck :cheers:

I have never worn a pair of wesco's. I see everyone likes them. I did pick them up and look them over, but never worn. I would be surprised if they were more comfortable than Hoffman's. I wear mine everywhere. With the insole they are just short of my "Nike shox" for comfort. It is interesting to see some others have Hoffman's and like them.

Last edited:
in the 80's I had two pair of $180 red wings they sucked lasted 3 months went to $69 Carolinas loved them they would last about a year now I'm in red dogs like em fine. only use them with spikes and thats only on removals. for everything else magnum boots, feel like sneaks that don't fall apart $80

Couleanns I believe Centrailia Wa.

Westco Scapoose Or

Hauffman Kellog Id

Whites Spokane Wa

In that order. If you have a big budget spend alot. Until you wear something on your own feet you will not know if they will work for you. My partner can climb all day those water aqua sox shoe things and have no trouble. I run 10" westcos, won't spend the $ for Couleanns, Hauffmans are a close runner up to Westies for me. For my foot whites are absolutely horrid, a very well built boot but for me they just don't work. The factory guys finnally gave up and said there was no more they could do.

If your new to climbing and using the big spurs instead of pole gaffs, as a newb you might look at the heel guards they have so you don't stab your self. Remember the side your going to is the low foot keep the high foot away from the low, if you cut out and your feet are to close you stand a fair chance of putting a hole in your leg/foot some place.

Practice on some stout wood before going up to high to the skinney whips.

Westies will keep you going if you have feet like mine.

Owl

you get what you pay for.

if being miserable is worth saving a couple bucks,knock yourself out.i'd suggest the top brands,even though one may fit you better than another.i personally like the Hoffman's from Bailey's.you won't find a better deal than those.dual shank is awesome.no shank,you will be sorry.

My Walmart boots are about 7-8 years old, and still very comfortable. I went from boot store to boot store, including Redwing, and I settled on the Walmarts.

I shopped for a week.

I've had Carolina's in the past, they were good too.

Back