Climbing equipment - Long Beach CA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fumbler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm going to visit family in Long Beach, CA.

While I'm looking to find a saddle and I'm curious if anyone knows of any shops in or near Long Beach that sells climbing equipment.
I'd rather try on and buy a saddle in person rather than buying off the net.

Fumbler said:
I'm going to visit family in Long Beach, CA.

While I'm looking to find a saddle and I'm curious if anyone knows of any shops in or near Long Beach that sells climbing equipment.
I'd rather try on and buy a saddle in person rather than buying off the net.

Try this out. They usually carry sherrill stuff. Call and see, ask which saddles they have if any and what size. Should give you a starting point. Hope this helps

http://www.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=e...118188333,2727905184373933235&li=lmd&z=14&t=m

I visited that shop on friday.
It was close to Long Beach and pretty easy to find.

I left with a Sherrill Master Classic saddle.
I haven't had the chance to use it yet, but it seems to fit well.
:)

Did they have something set up for you to actually suspend from the harness? I know when I tried out the master it felt comfy but when I was suspended from it it hurt. I weigh 290lbs and gravity sucks! So i tried out one with a batten seat. Much better for supending on the rope. I am anxious to see how it is with spurs on but it was very comfy

TackleTree said:
Did they have something set up for you to actually suspend from the harness? I know when I tried out the master it felt comfy but when I was suspended from it it hurt. I weigh 290lbs and gravity sucks! So i tried out one with a batten seat. Much better for supending on the rope. I am anxious to see how it is with spurs on but it was very comfy

No, they didn't have anything to suspend on, but I did tie into a tree and try it out for a minute.
Seems good.
I weigh 170 lbs.

Hey There Fumbler,

I hope you didn't get one of those newer saddles with the small dee rings, they totally suck, and in my opinion are down right dangerous.

If you did, I'd take it back for an exchange or refund. I don't know what they were thinking about when they designed those saddles, but they sure weren't thinking about ease of use or safety, that's for sure!

The best supply house in that area is Bishop Company on Putnam Street in Whittier CA .

I like the old wide back saddle with an extra large lower seat to minimize pinching. Sliding dee rings suck for demolition work, so I go with the standard setup with the standard dee rings. I got my saddle from Sierra Moreno Mercantile. The only modification I made to it was to rivet the ring and clip tool holders in place so they wouldn't slide around on me.

Work Safe

jomoco

Hey jomoco, good to see another demolition climber on the site!
You're right, those tiny d's are one of the worst things to ever come out. I'm not kidding, I carry two lanyards-one a flipline and the other a 2 in 1 lanyard. I like to carry them on my upper left d but with 5 snaps, there isn't enough room! Tried a small d saddle once but after I spent a minute in a tight predicament trying to unhook a lanyard snap, I got rid of it. Large d's forever!
Glad to see I'm also not the only one who doesn't like the sliding d. I get picked on alot for my "old style" saddle from the rest of the guys in my outfit who are mostly trimmers and love the sliding d's. Just never liked them for take-downs personally.

New fangled small dee rings are a safety hazard

I'm glad you agree with me Beowulf, those small dee rings should be outlawed before some poor climber gets himself killed or crippled.

I'd like to know what the logic or reasoning was that got them on the market.

Are you familiar with the origins of your nick name Beowulf?

Did the evil Grendel have something to do with 911?

You must slay the beast again!

jomoco

Latest posts

Back