Climbing gear for Newb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm interested it climbing and maybe part time limbing(way down the road) and would like some input on what gear to get. I was looking at http://www.hallssafety.com/index.html cause I live near the wharehouse, I'm looking for gear for a smaller budget but will give me alot of bang for the buck.

I'm going to be talking to some local companys about trying to learn the trade, as I know one small freelance is going to retire soon, and I'd like to pick his brain.

Also I'd like to know where to start looking into liability insurance.

I have experience felling trees, but its always been for firewood, and some people are starting to ask me to do jobs that I'd never even thought about doing, and am really interested.

Thanks in advance
John:cheers:

Jester, you might get a better response on this in the "Arborist 101" forum. The Commercial forum is sometimes frequented by some pretty salty folks.

Your question has been answered many times in Arboristsite. What you really need is some help learning how to use the "Search" function in the green bar at the top of the screen.

Fireaxman said:
Jester, you might get a better response on this in the "Arborist 101" forum.

you're right, let's try it over there.
thread moved
-Ralph

Jester, try this. Click on "Search" in the green bar at the top of the screen. Scroll down to "Advanced Search" and click on it. On the next screen use "Keyword" (s) like maybe "Interested in climbing". "Find Threads" with at least 10 replies, "Any Date" and Newer. "Search Forums" Arborist 101 . That will give you a pretty good start.

It really helps to have specific questions, though I understand that in the beginning you don't really know what the right questions are to ask. Also to provide us with enough detail about your background, what tools you have, it helps us focus the best feedback for you. Pictures of your current gear is helpful.

Well, thats the problem. I don't have any gear yet. Right now I'm set to ground bound jobs cause I dont know anything about climbing.:bang: I'm going to purchace the one climbing book that everyone reccomends.

Getting a Start

Jester, it kind of depends on how sure you are that you will like climbing. A quick warning about starting low - dollar, especially on a climbing saddle - cheap saddles are uncomfortable, and if you start out uncomfortable you might decide you dont like it right from the start.

Keep me streight on this, Tree Machine, I learn from you. But I'll stick my neck out and give this a try for simple basic first time climbing, since I was there not long ago.

A copy of Jepson's "Tree Climber's Companion" (TCC) is mandatory, and I suggest you read it thoroughly before you buy any gear. Jepson describes Dynamic (Double Rope Dynamic Technique) and Static (Single Rope Technique, SRT, and Doubled Rope Static technique). The climbing technique you choose has everything to do with what kind of equipment you need, so you have to make this decision first (at least on which technique you START with). SRT is more equipment intensive because you will need ascenders and descenders, and they aint cheap, so I suggest you start with Double Rope Dynamic for Cheap.

A coach is a wonderful idea. I really do NOT recomend learning this off the internet. You need someone to check your knots to be sure they are right, show you how to select a secure Tie In Point, belay you on your early attempts, and generally "Show you The Ropes".

Learn at least 2 knots and learn them well - your life will depend on them. I suggest Bowline with Yosemite Tie Off and Blake's Friction Hitch. They are in Jepson's book (TCC), and if those illustrations dont get it for you TheTreeSpyder has some good knot illustrations, or search the web, or search Arboristsite. There are a lot of other good knots, and each climber has his favorites, but basicly you need a good attachment knot and a good friction hitch.

I think Minimum equipment would be a throwline and weight (polypro slick line with a 12 to 16 oz throw bag for cheap) to get your ropes in the tree, a saddle (Weaver Cotton Canvas with Butt Strap for cheap, but remember what I said about comfort), a couple pair of Smurf gloves (Latex Palmed gloves like Uglies or Atlas for rope and tool handling), a good pair of shoes or boots with an aggresive tread (like Vibram), and at least 120 feet of (for cheap) Arbor Plex climbing line (do not trust your life to hardware store nylon rope).

How's that for a start, Tree Machine?

Real good, FireAxe. Especially the part about cheap, uncomfortable gear clouding the enjoyment that can be gotten from climbing.

My Dad bought my nephew a cheap-o garage sale guitar in an attempt to encourage him in the direction of playing music. I would have to ask any of you, is this failure from the start? The neck was warped, the strings dead, the string tensioners lame, the instrument was difficult to get close to tuned, and once there fell out quickly. There was simply no way to make music. It looked like a guitar, felt like a guitar, but played like an over-ripe banana.

My approach was START the student with a decent instrument so there's some sort of gratification, the student can receive the benefit of what the instrument has to offer.

I feel the same way with tree gear. Do NOT buy a used saw that won't start just because it's cheap. DON'T buy your rope from the Home Depot. Cheap, unsafe gear puts you on an immediate slow track.

Entry into ANY industry has costs. You wanna make semiconductors, you need millions. Wanna make pizzas for a living, 10's of thousands to get in. Tree Trimming? A $40 Silky and you can professionally deadwood and prune ornamentals. $200 for a professional pruner head and three sticks, you can prune most ornamentals full-service and you should be able to recoup your $240 in the first day. There's not too many industries that you can enter, without a license, certification, or training of any kind and that comes with a website wher you get free, professional advice from all over the world, just for asking?

The point is, commit to spending a small wad to get started and start on the proper foot. Good gear can be sold if you choose to exit the line of work. Suck gear will never find a warm home. Anyone here will agree, that without tools, a treeman is just a man. With no tools we are capable of no work. With lame tools we are capable of mediocre work that squeaks you by in your struggle to forge your reputation and income. With excellent tools we are capable of excellent work, excellent quality, excellent safety and the confidence that comes from KNOWING your gear is rated, tested, built for the job, sound and reliable. You can be all you can be. Summary: You are your tools.

Last edited:
You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools.

Thanks guys... As you said I'm going to start slow. I am going to buy probably one pc ov equip as I can afford it and get something that will last.

I do that their are many companys in my area that sell "the good stuff".

Also as you said, I have to see If I like it or not. I'm not to afraid of rockclimbing or rapalling(sp) as the Marines tought me the hard way to do that(rope rigging).

I'm just looking for something I can do as a hobby that may have perks eventually.

Thanks for the advice.. I'm looking for that book on amazon right now.
:yoyo:

Tree Machine said:
You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools. You are your tools, you ARE your tools.
You ARE tools.

i'm a newb too heres what i got

I have a floating D style saddle with leg straps, klein spikes with the velcro wrap pads with the steel shin support (best thing i bought) High V saftey blue rope. a microcender for my saftey, and a throw line.

...i tried a double d style saddle but didn't like it because in my opinion it restricts ur movement. the leg straps i like because without them my saddle kept moving around to much.

the pads for my spikes cost about 100 bucks by them selves.. but i think it was worth everybit... they don't dig or rub on my shins in any way.

thats just my 2 cents... i'm sure guys here have more insite then me.. like i said i'm a newb too and only been climbing like 1 or 2 days a week if i'm lucky, for about 6 months

Your honesty about it is much appreciated.

You're a classic case, a noob looking to expand himself from part time tree cutting to professional climbing and arboriculture.

Welcome.

Tree Machine said:
... My approach was START the student with a decent instrument so there's some sort of gratification, the student can receive the benefit of what the instrument has to offer.

I feel the same way with tree gear. Do NOT buy a used saw that won't start just because it's cheap. DON'T buy your rope from the Home Depot. Cheap, unsafe gear puts you on an immediate slow track......

Excellent post, Tree Machine, and a strange coincidence. I was thinking specificly about a new guitar student when I wrote the the part about comfort, and I dont know how many times I'll have to flunk the test before I learn the lesson. Started on a cheap guitar, a HomeyXL, and a Klein Buttstrap in 1985. Traded the cheap Yamaha guitar for a Martin 10 years ago and wondered why I waited so long. Trashed the Wallmart homeys and bought a stable full of Stihls over the last 5 years and rejoice daily (stihl have some pre-Textron homeys though, no complaints about the XL12, superEZ, 330). Finally got out of the Kliein buttstrap for a Buckingham Traverse last week and I cannot believe I was such an idiot for hanging in that Klein for so long (except that I tortured myself with a Navajo BOD for a few months until the webbing frayed).

Oh well. Slow learner. Jester - Tree Machine and Clearance are giving you good advice. Take your time and invest in good stuff.

Clearance, Tree Machine, and Remington - what kind of spurs and pads do I need to get when I replace my old (1985) Klein spurs?

Last edited:
Fireaxman said:
Excellent post, Tree Machine, and a strange coincidence. I was thinking specificly about a new guitar student when I wrote the the part about comfort, and I dont know how many times I'll have to flunk the test before I learn the lesson. Started on a cheap guitar, a HomeyXL, and a Klein Buttstrap in 1985. Traded the cheap Yamaha guitar for a Martin 10 years ago and wondered why I waited so long. Trashed the Wallmart homeys and bought a stable full of Stihls over the last 5 years and rejoice daily (stihl have some pre-Textron homeys though, no complaints about the XL12, superEZ, 330). Finally got out of the Kliein buttstrap for a Buckingham Traverse last week and I cannot believe I was such an idiot for hanging in that Klein for so long (except that I tortured myself with a Navajo BOD for a few months until the webbing frayed).

Oh well. Slow learner. Jester - Tree Machine and Clearance are giving you good advice. Take your time and invest in good stuff.

Clearance, Tree Machine, and Remington - what kind of spurs and pads do I need to get when I replace my old (1985) Klein spurs?

Cant go past the buckingham velcro wraps with metal insert. Comfy, well as comfy as spurs get anyway.

Trev

Latest posts

Back