This Photo of a Guy sawing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This photo was on line. I don't think I'm the only one who thinks this guy is living dangerously?
Cutting like this would frighten me especially with no chaps. Some people think if they can start a saw and pick it up they know how to use one.. If this was my grandson, i'd bite my nails to the quick. Am I missing something?

Attachments

• person-operating-a-Blue-Max-chainsaw-qd5uck25tucbqdxeg7dwl6x4shn8cm7vp3q17mokuq.png
    person-operating-a-Blue-Max-chainsaw-qd5uck25tucbqdxeg7dwl6x4shn8cm7vp3q17mokuq.png
    153.8 KB · Views: 22
Where is his Personal safety equipment? Maybe i'm just a bit over cautious or just a frady cat . LOL
Chaps go a long ways to help, but don't prevent someone from sawing into their leg.

Knowing how to handle your saw in any circumstance will prevent you from sawing into your leg.

Nothing wrong with that once you learn your tool and know your body.

Apart from the lack of PPE, I'd agree. What cannot be seen in the picture is the relative skill and experience of the operator. Among all the dangerous stupid things you can do with a chainsaw, chunking logs at a bit over your head is fairly low on the list of activities.

I've done much worse than that while standing on an aerial device or hanging on a rope. I wouldn't even slow down from my regular cutting to worry about doing the same as the guy in the picture. But I do it for a living. Other folks might not be as well equipped to anticipate how things can turn out.

Don't see anything alarming about the picture really. He's on solid ground with his footing and as long he's mindful of where the chainsaw bar travels when he finishes the cut he's good. I'd be more worried about the chips flying in my face and making sure the chunk I'm cutting off doesn't come down on my feet or bounce back towards me when it hits the ground.

The biggest watch-out with that picture is that he appears to be running some sort of Chinesieum saw. :laugh:

In all seriousness though, I don't see anything too alarming. This may sound pretty nonchalant to some, but getting hit by the chain is really low on the concern list of most of the saw operations I do on a daily basis. I'd say overhead hazards are usually my biggest concern for personal safety.

The way I see it, is chaps are to cutting, what seat belts are for driving. Just because I'm wearing chaps, doesn't mean that I'm suddenly okay with taking more risk. Just like how I suddenly won't exceed my abilities in a turn with my truck, just because I'm wearing a seat belt.

Biggest problem I see is no undercut

I wouldn't want an undercut on that one.
The hanging wood will toss the log off to the side. That gives you a moment more to step back.
Unless it is a cottonwood. Those things just break off and tumble down.

I wouldn't want an undercut on that one.
The hanging wood will toss the log off to the side. That gives you a moment more to step back.
Unless it is a cottonwood. Those things just break off and tumble down.
A little undercut away from me and I know where it's going... I hate letting.them peel, too unpredictable.

Shucks. I use a good peel all the time, especially when aloft on an aerial. I can generally get that chunk to go where I want without tossing it. If going in the opposite direction from the peel, then I undercut a fair distance, then push the falling chunk in the opposite direction with the bar & body of the saw.

Of course, that tends to help throw chains, so you need to be careful how you do it. But I consider both techniques faster, safer, and easier than one-handing the saw and pushing with the free hand.

Back