This Photo of a Guy sawing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yes they do.
Thinking otherwise only reveals how far you are from seeing the need for a moderator in an online forum.
Bro, I know moderators in several other forums. Trust me, I know.

When someone is in a public venue or private establishment there are norms to follow and repercussions for breaking rules, written or otherwise.

When a grown man is in his own private realm he doesn’t need a nanny. Guy in pic above has no need of a peanut gallery or anyone to cast aspersions. This is called personal responsibility and self governance.

Well... So you might think.

We don't have a nanny state already because all of the people took responsibility. A lot of that nanny state is there for the folks that don't realize how much need they have for a nanny .

Ask any 8 year old if he needs a babysitter.

Well... So you might think.

We don't have a nanny state already because all of the people took responsibility. A lot of that nanny state is there for the folks that don't realize how much need they have for a nanny .

Ask any 8 year old if he needs a babysitter.
Well that depends on what she looks like.

As a non-pro I would prefer to not cut overhead like that, just looks awkward, would move further down where the tree is closer to the ground, make a cut to drop the limb then buck it on the ground.
And therein lies the rub... as a pro, especially doing storm work, so many times you don't pick the cut, the cut picks you, so to speak. Looking at that picture, yes, there were other options. Expanding on that, it can be difficult to describe in words in a post how to do something with a saw that took years and thousands of cuts to learn.

I always try to keep myself safe but I end up reaching for stuff like that from time to time, as long as I’m not dropping a bunch of weight. I just end up eating a lot of chips. When trees fall and they need to be cut up, I’m not always in the ideal situation nor can I afford to be in the best of cutting positions.

What one person sees as unsafe another sees as a typical action. I worked for the US Army Corp of Engineers over 30 years ago and did some things that were totally unsafe but I did them because I was directed to do so and I wanted to keep my job.

I've cut over head one handed without chaps on while standing in the bucket of a tractor 20 ft up.

I've never owned a pair of chaps.
Your guardian angel may have some words with you someday!

Not sure if they make chaps that can fully stop a hot saw before cutting through. I do know they have some billed as "competition" chaps. Are they enough? I don't know.
That was not even a chain. The flywheel and recoil came apart on the upcut. It threw the recoil and housing into my leg. It sent flywheel fins flying. I was VERY lucky. I had a little over a 3hrs drive home that day with my 10 year old son. I hid the pain and as what other choice did I have. I still have the chaps

What one person sees as unsafe another sees as a typical action. I worked for the US Army Corp of Engineers over 30 years ago and did some things that were totally unsafe but I did them because I was directed to do so and I wanted to keep my job.
I’m sure you’ve seen those Indonesians in the forest with flipflops, a cig, and no ppe running 070s.

That was not even a chain. The flywheel and recoil came apart on the upcut. It threw the recoil and housing into my leg. It sent flywheel fins flying. I was VERY lucky. I had a little over a 3hrs drive home that day with my 10 year old son. I hid the pain and as what other choice did I have. I still have the chaps
All I can say is Wow!

Back