Climbing gear for Newb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I like and use-Buckingham 3 1/2" permanent gaffs with the velcro pads and a pinnacle saddle. (Obviously that is not all I use when I climb but I didn't want to confuse you with lanyards, ropes, blocks, carabiners, split tails, friction savers, etc. Start off simple!!)

I put the velcro wrap cadillac pads on my 3-1/2" spikes back in May, but I haven't used them yet. Are they really the cat's meow? All my takedowns have been climbable, except for the bottom trunk which I flop. That's my goal for August, is to put these spikes on and give 'em a test drive.

I have a few questions about some climb gear I have been looking at. First off, what is all of your take on the Weaver 01038 model saddle? Are Bucklite Titanium spikes worth the money? I have looked at the T Pads, the Velcros, and the Aluminum with foam pads, and don't know which would be best, advice please? Also, pros/cons on 16 strand vs 24 strand climb line, and where can I get a proper fitting thimble for the diameter of the 24 strand climb line? I assume that you don't use a 1/2" thimble with it. Also, is it really worth it to splice 24 strand climb line for your snap? or is a bowline more practical? Thanks for your suggestions. Oh one more question, I have been looking at a 15' 2 in 1 lanyard, is there something else that would be preferable for climbing the trees out here in the black hills? Thanks

TheGrasshopper said:
I have a few questions about some climb gear I have been looking at. First off, what is all of your take on the Weaver 01038 model saddle? Are Bucklite Titanium spikes worth the money? I have looked at the T Pads, the Velcros, and the Aluminum with foam pads, and don't know which would be best, advice please? Also, pros/cons on 16 strand vs 24 strand climb line, and where can I get a proper fitting thimble for the diameter of the 24 strand climb line? I assume that you don't use a 1/2" thimble with it. Also, is it really worth it to splice 24 strand climb line for your snap? or is a bowline more practical? Thanks for your suggestions. Oh one more question, I have been looking at a 15' 2 in 1 lanyard, is there something else that would be preferable for climbing the trees out here in the black hills? Thanks
Just my opinion: Hate it, no, velcro, and I like 16 strand-just my preference. Can't help you with the rest because I don't use 24 strand and I don't know what makes the trees in the black hills different from trees everywhere else.

Jester how far away from halls are you? Im up there in Sandy Lake every week end usually. We have a cabin on the lake and climb rec. all the time! PM me maybe we can hook up and teach ya the ropes!

Dan

Solid info on the 24-strand, 11 mm lifeline has been gone over in a recent thread you will find here. You're welcome to rekindle former threads after you read them if you still have a question that wasn't covered, like spliced eye terminations or something.

Spikes, really ask yourself how frequently you think you will use them. Any solid climber can trim or dismantle a tree's crown without spikes, and do it as fast or faster than if he were wearing them. Really big tree takedowns, mebbe a different story. But supposing you did all your tree trimming spikeless, and because you fully want to grasp the art of climbing and truly challenge yourself so you crown out your takedowns spikeless, then the only time you will need spikes is in blocking down a trunk. Spike up, chunk your way down. The amount of time you spend in spikes really ends up being minimal. I prefer to drop the log and buck it up on the ground whenever it would speed things up.

For me, I have the most basic, inexpensive set of regular 'ol 3-1/2" steel spikes. If I'm only in em ten or twelve or so hours a year, it hardly matters to me that they're common grade. If big takedowns comprised the bulk of my jobs and there was no bucket or manlift, then I would choose the comfiest, lightest most awesome set that money could buy. I mean, when your living rides on them......?

Last edited:
As far as your flipline, a common and practical length is the 8 footer. More than anything, the draw in this length is it will go around your waist exactly 2 wraps and clip to your D, keeping it up, out of the way, ideally more around your lower waist, above your hip bones, up out of the way of your saddle's attached gear (slings, biners, ascenders, whatever other hardware). At 15 feet, I personally don't know how that length would behave when you're wearing it, though not using it. And I've never used one For me, I know 15 feet would be gross excess. There's not much, other than fat trunks, that an 8 foot won't go around. You can temporarily attach a rated sling to extend your flipline a few feet if you get into something way big and juicy.

If you regularly do really big climbs, like Clearance and those incredible British Columbia conifers, West coast U.S. giants or our Aussie mates and their monster eucs, then you might go 20 feet of flipline. You can always change. Packing two lengths in your arsenal, this would give you versatility and I think would be a good thing.

Latest posts

Back