Climbing gear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
One of our members, dh1984, posted this picture in Off Topic. He says that this is his climbing gear and he's going to be the climber for a tree service.

I'm no expert on climbing gear. What do you guys think of this collection? Is it safe? Will it even work?

IMG_0012climbinggear.jpg

Looks to me like a rotted out linesmans belt, another not so rotted linesmans belt, and a pair of rusty spikes.

The spikes could be made usable w/ all new pads and straps, and a sandblasting and powder coat or paint job.

Looks to me like a rotted out linesmans belt, another not so rotted linesmans belt, and a pair of rusty spikes.

The spikes could be made usable w/ all new pads and straps, and a sandblasting and powder coat or paint job.

I'm going to get new pads and straps.Then i'm going to bead blast the spikes and then give them a good paint job where they will not rust again.

What other gear would you all suggest me getting?

After looking at the picture again. I would throw out those spurs too. They look like they are bent wrong or something. Maybe ran over by a truck or something. Either buy a climbing kit or buy a saddle, rope, flip line and spurs.

Ok i got an extra set of spurs that has longer spikes on them.

I'm goin to look right now and see what the pads,straps and replacement spikes will cost. Then i'll look for a saddle,rope and a flip line.

Then what else will i have to have to be safe when climbing tree's ?

Ok i got an extra set of spurs that has longer spikes on them.

I'm goin to look right now and see what the pads,straps and replacement spikes will cost. Then i'll look for a saddle,rope and a flip line.

Then what else will i have to have to be safe when climbing tree's ?

Your looking at around $50-$70 for basic straps and pads.

Before I answer your question, let me ask one. Do you know how to use this equipment?

Your looking at around $50-$70 for basic straps and pads.

Before I answer your question, let me ask one. Do you know how to use this equipment?

Well i know how to use the spurs and flip line. But to really tell the truth about the saddle i really don't know how to use it.

I been trying to find a class to go to so i can learn how to use it and some more equipment.

Last edited:
Look at our sponser's climbing saddles. Climbing saddles are designed for overhead rope support along with pole climbing D rings. It is very unsafe to use a lineman's saddle to climb trees as they are not designed to support the climbers weight except for when the have their spikes set into the tree.

Oh i c I'm looking at wesspur on here and i seen a package deal that was pretty close to 800.00 bucks for it.

Here is what it has in the package.

Buckingham Viking Saddle (SAD124)
1 Pair Buckingham Steel Tree Spurs (SPU102)
1 Pair Buckingham Big Buck Pads (SPU702)
1 Pair Universal Lower Straps SPU717)
2 Pair Universal Upper Straps (SPU718)
1 Pair Gaff Guards SPU901
5/8" x 12' Maxi-Flip Flipline FLI124
Petzl Macrograb Adjuster ASC102
Pirate Auto-locking Carabiner CAR134
Tree Climber's Companion BOO101
Large Canvas Gear Bag BAG203

Then if i need more then i can get a upgrade kit for it.

Oh i c I'm looking at wesspur on here and i seen a package deal that was pretty close to 800.00 bucks for it.

Here is what it has in the package.

Buckingham Viking Saddle (SAD124)
1 Pair Buckingham Steel Tree Spurs (SPU102)
1 Pair Buckingham Big Buck Pads (SPU702)
1 Pair Universal Lower Straps SPU717)
2 Pair Universal Upper Straps (SPU718)
1 Pair Gaff Guards SPU901
5/8" x 12' Maxi-Flip Flipline FLI124
Petzl Macrograb Adjuster ASC102
Pirate Auto-locking Carabiner CAR134
Tree Climber's Companion BOO101
Large Canvas Gear Bag BAG203

Then if i need more then i can get a upgrade kit for it.

That kit looks pretty good. The saddle, spikes, and flipline total $635. That kit shows as $679 for me, so the bag and extra biner, and tree climbers companion make up the difference. You'll still need a rope, and a couple biners. You can cut a piece off your rope for a split tail, or keep it full length and buy a seperate pc. of rope or premade split tail. If you buy them seperate, get the tree climbers companion, it'll be worth way more to you than the $15 bucks it costs.

tree climbers international in Atlanta, GA offers climbing classes, they have a few coming up. might be worth looking into. I would not climb on any of that gear.

Last edited:
hate to sound like an a s s but there's a lot to climbing and the gear required to do it safely.
first and foremost.... are you comfortable with heights or working over power lines? standing on a limb 60+ feet off the ground swaying with the breeze? climbing dead trees in the same condition? its not all balls but a lot of brains

hate to sound like an a s s but there's a lot to climbing and the gear required to do it safely.
first and foremost.... are you comfortable with heights or working over power lines? standing on a limb 60+ feet off the ground swaying with the breeze? climbing dead trees in the same condition? its not all balls but a lot of brains

If you want hours of fun search out his posts......

Grab a few beers and enjoy:hmm3grin2orange:

Well i know how to use the spurs and flip line. But to really tell the truth about the saddle i really don't know how to use it.

I been trying to find a class to go to so i can learn how to use it and some more equipment.

don't buy anything until you've read the Tree Climbers Companion and have spent a few days watching professional climbers local to you.

start low and slow... learn all the basic knots... keep practicing and practicing those knots. when you can tie a knot blindfolded. then you know it well enough to trust your life to that knot.

don't worry about trying to know every knot. just learn a few select knots to where you know with dead certainty it's being tied correct.

here's a few lifeline knots. with one glance, you know those knots are tied correctly and you can trust your life to that knot.
lifeline_knots.jpg

Last edited:
++++DISCLAIMER - NOT A CLIMBER, NEVER BEEN ONE, DON'T WANT TO BE ONE++++

046, I gotta ask, what purpose would the knot in the strap be used for? In my uses of straps (tie down and lifting), I've always been taught that knots are a big no-no in straps?

++++DISCLAIMER - NOT A CLIMBER, NEVER BEEN ONE, DON'T WANT TO BE ONE++++

046, I gotta ask, what purpose would the knot in the strap be used for? In my uses of straps (tie down and lifting), I've always been taught that knots are a big no-no in straps?

I'll take a guess; It's either a water knot or a beer knot. Looks like a beer knot from this angle. Tape/webbing can be tied into a sling by the use of either knot. The water knot is the traditional way, and the beer knot is its more recently invented and supposedly stronger cousin. It's certainly neater. Most other knots come undone in tape/webbing.

Shaun

Back