Climbing Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does assistant arborist mean brush dragger or are you fresh out the books and green as hell?

I am one of 2 Arborist for the City of Missoula. I work with "Spider" every day for ten months out of the year. The Job title has more to do with budget constraints than skill level. She climbs trees and operates our 60' bucket for pruning and removals, runs and designs rigging for technical removals, operates front end loaders, backhoes, does wild land urban interface thinning and controlled burning and yes she like the rest of us here drags brush too. What makes you so special? I guess ripping on others does it for you but I would rather see you impress me with your skills as an arborist than a !@#$%&^.

I am one of 2 Arborist for the City of Missoula. I work with "Spider" every day for ten months out of the year. The Job title has more to do with budget constraints than skill level. She climbs trees and operates our 60' bucket for pruning and removals, runs and designs rigging for technical removals, operates front end loaders, backhoes, does wild land urban interface thinning and controlled burning and yes she like the rest of us here drags brush too. What makes you so special? I guess ripping on others does it for you but I would rather see you impress me with your skills as an arborist than a !@#$%&^.

sorry pal but ball breaking is my specialty.

i asked that question because i person with her supposed skill set wouldnt really need to ask a question like her's.

what makes me special? charm, good looks and ability. thats what makes me special.

stick around, you'll see.

hey 2fatties, i'll take a pic later for ya.

does assistant arborist mean brush dragger or are you fresh out the books and green as hell?

lol... Didn't give much of a choice there dirty lol.

Gonna change you location or are you back?:biggrinbounce2:

I also use a double fisherman to terminate.

Good pic of the setup Nails. Thanks!

good thread to ask this question

i use a 4 D and it treats me fine. i was thinking of going to a bridged saddle, but am afraid of any loss of integrity. does the lightweight take away from the strength?

i asked that question because i person with her supposed skill set wouldnt really need to ask a question like her's.

I see your specialty is not the English language. Keep working on it, you'll get there one day.:greenchainsaw:

hey 2fatties, i'll take a pic later for ya.

Thanks OD.... always looking for "new and improved"...

Make it down to Kenai any yet? I noticed you mentioned "the only way out of town" in one of your pic posts...

I was wondering what is the most popular way to tie into a saddle with a single tie in point such as a butterfly II saddle. I currently climb on a Versatile Classic and was thinking about switching to a sliding D setup. Thanks..

On the BII you can put a Petzl L swivel (the new version) on the bridge and clip up to 3 biners into the top of the swivel. The bottom of the swivel slides on the bridge and replaces the stock ring that comes with it. That way you can take full advantage of the floating bridge. It's super mobile for quick positional changes and you can turn every which way in the tree without twisting the two legs of the rope, it can be too sensitive for some climbers. The swivel is also great for double tie-ins, you can spin underneath it to change position from one side to the other.

Here's a photo showing a closed split tail hitch (the green rope), both biners anchored on the swivel and a second trad sysThis is an example of a double-crotching scenario, the green rope (PI) being the primary climbing system. Normally you'd be using the tail of the PI to create the second system, used the Fly to make it easier to see the two systems. The bridge is custom but the harness is a BII. The original bridge ring is left on to girth hitch an ascender attachment point for SRT. I'm not currently using this setup but it gives an idea of possibilities for a single point bridge attachment.

1022708939_47873c10cc.jpg

-moss

Moss - GREAT example! I wish I had known about the Tanglewood climb beforehand! I would have leared a LOT just watching, even if I didn't climb with the rest of you...

Way cool Moss~ great picture too! :clap:

Originally Posted by oldirty View Post

~The reason I asked the question is because I've only climbed on one type of climbing system, I am considering buying my own saddle and was thinking about going a different route, and I wanted to see what other people where doing and maybe they would have a better method than myself...afterall thats the point of a forum right?
Anywhooo awesome post Moss I might give that a try! Thanks

I was wondering what is the most popular way to tie into a saddle with a single tie in point such as a butterfly II saddle. I currently climb on a Versatile Classic and was thinking about switching to a sliding D setup. Thanks..

spider, have you seen the HDP roller? Your saddle is called the versatile as its bridge can be used as a sliding "D", with one or two pear shaped biners--the HDP roller is inserted into the biners and onto the bridge allow for unrestricted movement.

I kinda like the fixed loops...and use my Versatile for removals, and my BF for pruning.

Quote by rbtree
spider, have you seen the HDP roller? Your saddle is called the versatile as its bridge can be used as a sliding "D", with one or two pear shaped biners--the HDP roller is inserted into the biners and onto the bridge allow for unrestricted movement.

I kinda like the fixed loops...and use my Versatile for removals, and my BF for pruning.

Yeah I've seen the HDP rollers, I don't use them though, I like the fixed loops on the bridge as well. :greenchainsaw:

Back