Climbing rig pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SINGLE-JACK

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Been climbing for years though not often but, I've got a lot of climbing coming up and am looking for a more efficient rig and technique. I've been using a sit-stand (~Texas) method and seems too inefficient. Maybe, I'm just impatient.

I would appreciate some pictures and recommendations, pros & cons, etc. of what is the latest & greatest way to get topside. All styles and opinions welcome - SRT, DRT, DdRT, false (adjustable) crotches, cambium savers, even limb isolation. What works, what don't?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Ya ever see that Bailey's poster "Still 7' diameter 150'" (root swell just stopped there) ? The one with the broken foot in a cast speaks again, (that also wrote the book(s)..)

Legendary Gerry Beranek rope walking DdRT; of http://www.atreestory.com/.

Thanks. Looks pretty smooth and not too gear intensive. Not sure from the video but his friction hitch looked like a 6over2 vt couldn't make out his tie-in knot. We all have our preferences just interested in what others are using.

Last edited:
I'll bite...

Hitchclimber pulley with VT (love it!)...pantin on foot if its a bit far up and away from the trunk...by far I'm not talking any more than 50-60', more than that then other systems are probably more efficient.

I've been playing around with the hitch climber some lately. Still not sure if I can adopt it into my old school climbing though. I gotta say it is neat, just a little "gear intensive" as we say around here.

Been using the swaybish (whatever) cuz its easy to tie - aint firured out the vt yet.

One thing thats cool is with my gayed up new school arbormaster delux versatile, theres no jangling with the webbed bridge. so thats cool, nice, smooth and quiet.

I've been playing around with the hitch climber some lately. Still not sure if I can adopt it into my old school climbing though. I gotta say it is neat, just a little "gear intensive" as we say around here.

Been using the swaybish (whatever) cuz its easy to tie - aint firured out the vt yet.

One thing thats cool is with my gayed up new school arbormaster delux versatile, theres no jangling with the webbed bridge. so thats cool, nice, smooth and quiet.

canopyboy has developed and posted a nice pic with the hitch climber & vt that you might be interested in:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=1613897&postcount=57

I've been trying to rig a FIXE. Still not sure about it, yet. "Old school" to you is "new" school to me. 40+ years ago when I started climbing, it was SRT, Prusik's, laid rope and full body rappel. DdRT was an easy change. Now I'm hoping to setup for the "Legendary Gerry Beranek rope walking DdRT" that TheTreeSpyder referenced in his post.

That is, if I don't get any better advice. Don't know why there haven't been more replies to this thread.

Now I'm hoping to setup for the "Legendary Gerry Beranek rope walking DdRT" that TheTreeSpyder referenced in his post.
[/B]

That's a real slick and easy looking set up. Thinking of buying another foot ascender to try it myself.

canopyboy has developed and posted a nice pic with the hitch climber & vt that you might be interested in:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=1613897&postcount=57

I've been trying to rig a FIXE. Still not sure about it, yet. "Old school" to you is "new" school to me. 40+ years ago when I started climbing, it was SRT, Prusik's, laid rope and full body rappel. DdRT was an easy change. Now I'm hoping to setup for the "Legendary Gerry Beranek rope walking DdRT" that TheTreeSpyder referenced in his post.

That is, if I don't get any better advice. Don't know why there haven't been more replies to this thread.

Dude, thanks man! that did it, finally figured it out. rep coming.

I'm thinking I may be a convert to some of this new school crap. just need to integrate into mds's style.

Last edited:
Did you hear he lost half of one foot to a crane outrigger around 2 years ago?

Well i heared of 2 crane outrigger accidents he's had in recent years; as he has shifted gears. Be fairly warned; if this can happen to one of such broad experience; the fickled finger of fate; could choose any of our directions to point in!

Re-Searching elsewhere's, there are suggestions etc. for the 2nd Pantin/cam position being a prussick etc.

Back