Climbing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

661Joe

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I still climb with a 009l was thinking about upgrading but just wanted to see everyone's thoughts on it. I know it's an old saw but I've never had issues with it. My old man used it for many many years issue free. It's a screamer also pulls a 16inch all day long starts second pull after being ran dry and will start first pull every other time.... I just don't know what to do spend the cash on a new climbing saw or continue to use this one.. is there really that much of a difference?
Thanks
Joe

There sure is a big difference if you compare it to a new battery top handle saw. Besides the anti vibe advancements the modern gasoline choices are still that two cycle gasoline. Some have filled crankshafts, some have self tuning functions, probably most have some sort of variable spark timing. They all use the same chain choices.

If you climb as much as the post indicates probably should have a new saw and that one as a back up. In the grand scheme of things the cost of the saw is not all that massive is it? You did not really explain your application. Does your family own an orchard?

No orchard small family run tree removal company. I climb every sat and Sunday Sun up to Sun down and sometimes Monday threw Friday also just depends on how busy we get. The cost of a new saw is nothing compared to what the saw would make me in an hr let alone a day. I have a back up 009l that I got for 75$ a few years ago. I'm just trying to justifie buying a new one when what I have works great. I did check them out the other day in the dealer that's what made me start this thread. They seem nice light and agile. Just wanted some info on them from users. I like knowing it's a smart investment. Just looking for feedback.

^^^ As stated above, two of the best model top handles ever built currently for sale in the trading post, freshly rebuilt by @lone wolf, a stand up guy/quality seller/conqueror of the ms200T. I've also used a 009. A quality reliable saw that's somewhat overlooked and underrated, but there is no comparison in performance/handling to the almighty 200T.

Seems the 200t had the same bhp but weighs about 2# lighter. The 009l is like 9# with a 14inch bar. Is the 7# rating of the 200t with a bar?
Thanks joe

Not sure on exact weight specs, but manufacturer posted data is typically no fluids and powerhead only. Possibly the same bhp, but the 200T is tached at 14000 rpm vs the 10500 of the 009. It cuts much faster. It's much smaller and more nimble with better balance. The 009 will make a decent saw, but after running a 200T you won't want to take it up a tree unless you have to. Also the 009 oils at idle, something I prefer not to happen if its hanging on my side.

Very true it does get my leg from time to time. Especially on pines were the saw don't even get shut off till the tree is done for the most part.

What's the deal with the 201?

Never run one, all my saws are older/pre epa saws. From what I understand the can be made to run good, but like all newer saws need help/modification from stock.

I'm thinking I may have to buy one just to try it out.. I guise of it runs better then the 009l ill be happy cause that 09 Is a mean little saw

My suggestion is look at what you are cutting. How thick are the branches you are typically taking down? I have several climbers that freely admit they are nit cutting big wood while up in the tree so they have opeted for smaller lighter saws MS 150 and MS 193 and they love them. I have a 009L and it is a angry little saw! But it is also like my 017.. it does not know it is a small saw and I am often pitting it into larger wood than I should and it preforms beautifully. Not its intended job but it gets it done. When someone is looking for a top handle I have them walk around the sales floor with it, get a feeling for its weight.. I have a couple of 193's that stihl gave me as loaners and they are well used and have yet not to have gotten me a sale. The MS 150 is just a light weight hornets nest! Right tool for the right job.

I cut some bigger stuff with the 009. I stop around the 14-16 inch stuff and have a bigger saw sent up. I only do the 14-16 stuff because the saw just don't care. Oak pine maple it just chewws threw it with not hesitation. That's why I'm trying to justifie the cost for a new top handle. Bar buried it just don't care.

I cut some bigger stuff with the 009. I stop around the 14-16 inch stuff and have a bigger saw sent up. I only do the 14-16 stuff because the saw just don't care. Oak pine maple it just chewws threw it with not hesitation. That's why I'm trying to justifie the cost for a new top handle. Bar buried it just don't care.
Anti vibe alone makes it worth while to get ms 200t or a newer 201 t.

I find the new Stihl 201 much more attractive than the old 200. Further I have seen a similar behavior with tree pros over here that @Rockjock describes. The raw power of the top line is actually not needed very often and many choose a much smaller model to be used in paralell to their silky line up.

Alternatively I would definately look at the echo line up! For a stronger model the 355 or the light model 2511 would be excellent alternatives.

Back