Climbing with a pole saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mass tree guy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a newbie here and fairly new to the tree industry (3 years)...Started climbing back a few years ago, and was taught a pole saw to set my lines..

I don't like doing it cause its a very dangerous tool to be placed in the tree for the climber and ground men...

Who does it and who doesnt?

Are you all really that good at throwing you lines the the trees?

Get yourself a Bigshot and practice, practice, practice. After you get good, you will be able to set your line from the ground to about 75 or 80 feet. As long as you can isolate your throwline, you can even install a friction (cambium) saver from the ground. Big White Pines and Pin Oaks are the 2 species where I've run into problems due to the "mess" of limbs.

Get yourself a Bigshot and practice, practice, practice. After you get good, you will be able to set your line from the ground to about 75 or 80 feet. As long as you can isolate your throwline, you can even install a friction (cambium) saver from the ground. Big White Pines and Pin Oaks are the 2 species where I've run into problems due to the "mess" of limbs.

ahh got ya my friend..

I do throw a line with a 14 oz bag usually in a center position of the tree...But I have found when I'm pruning the big ones with a good spread i need to set and reset again and again.....

Do people ever throw bags in a tree?

2 climbing ropes, big shot,throw weight, and side kick or equivalent reach device You can get anywhere without too much trouble. Use the first to get in; the other to move around once you're up.

I carry a light throw bag on a keychain biner. Works good for climb line advancement, rigging rope placement, etc. I find it easier than a monkey fist.

That rig looks really cool. Not knowing anything about a fly reel: When you throw, does the line come off the reel like it comes out of the bag?

That rig looks really cool. Not knowing anything about a fly reel: When you throw, does the line come off the reel like it comes out of the bag?

I usually pull it out first. It has a drag that can be set to allow it to come out rather easily. I'm not sure if the force of the throw would allow it to play out smoothly.

I use a bigshot for nearly all of my line setting needs. The pole saw thing works but it's a widow maker that you made and are under. I'll use it from the ground from time to time but not aloft if I can help it. I have to say that the fly reel is money and I want one.:cheers:

When I climb with a pole saw I bring the sheath up with me. I loosen the leather strap to the last hole and clip my polesaw lanyard to the strap,cover the blade with the sheath and clip in to the 1/2 inch hole on the front of the polesaw head (where the paintbrush used to go) the blade is always covered. When I need it I unclip from the hole and leave the lanyard cliped to the sheath till i'm ready to put it back on. Takes two seconds and can prevent a nasty cut. The pole saw is a great tool but it slows you down and can cause you to make poor cuts. It has its place in your toolbox.

When I climb with a pole saw I bring the sheath up with me. I loosen the leather strap to the last hole and clip my polesaw lanyard to the strap,cover the blade with the sheath and clip in to the 1/2 inch hole on the front of the polesaw head (where the paintbrush used to go) the blade is always covered. When I need it I unclip from the hole and leave the lanyard cliped to the sheath till i'm ready to put it back on. Takes two seconds and can prevent a nasty cut. The pole saw is a great tool but it slows you down and can cause you to make poor cuts. It has its place in your toolbox.

X2

I use the sheath when I am using it to advance my line in the tree. It will keep you rope from getting nicked up as well.

Other than that, I will use it in the tree on the rare occasion when a situation calls for it.

I was always taught that if the pole saw is aloft with you that you always face the blade away from you. Not that you will not get cut if it falls off the branch, but hopefully you will not get cut as bad. I really want to get one of those saws that folds down to a few feet. Small enough to have on your saddle and long enough to advance ropes and make those tip cuts.

I agree with the big shot, after u have used a bit, I can usally place my line on the first shot..............1 Shot,1 kil.....Crotch:agree2:

If you use a pole pruner instead of a pole saw you can flip the knot around branches without worryin bout droppin it cuz its jammed in the lil spring part.... some one tell him , I dont know what the parts are called cuz mes stoopit

I almost never use a pole saw for line advancement. However, we do use pole saws a lot for pruning....and proper pruning at that.

I do teach everyone to attach said polesaw to their belt with a long sling...can be quickly detached as long as theres an attachment point for a carabiner. If you must hang it now and then, hang it properly and don't forget it's there and bump it off. Ground men don't like things falling on them......

I never use a pole saw for anything anymore.... after seventeen years or so of climbing with one, I came here and soon learned the error of my ways.

Pole saw bad. :)

Latest posts

Back