Climbing with a pole saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, I'm a newbie here and fairly new to the tree industry (3 years)...Started climbing back a few years ago, and was taught a pole saw to set my lines..

I don't like doing it cause its a very dangerous tool to be placed in the tree for the climber and ground men...

Who does it and who doesnt?

Are you all really that good at throwing you lines the the trees?

I'm not the greatest with a throwline, but I'd rather take a few hacks at it that way than damage the very thing that's going to keep me alive while I'm up there.

Last edited:
If you're that incompetent with a pole saw... maybe you better stay on the ground. Lol
More a matter of impatience or being underequipped than incompetence--my ropes have the nicks to show the times that I did not use a hook or put on a scabbard. :cry:

I use the hook end. The blade is for cutting.

I have slashed a rope before due to impatience though.

The scabbard idea seems a little wuss bag in my opinion.

It may be a redundant point and most guys may not have the room for it, but I have to ask why, If you need a long pole or stick to help you in the tree like the side kick, Why not have a dedicated pole with just the hook on the end or like mine several attatchments and four or more poles? This way you can set up one with the saw for making cuts and one with the hook for setting ropes and the like. It may be more gear but you can in most cases have a set up for any tree and secure it in the tree as someone said before with small straps and bieners. :confused:

It may be a redundant point and most guys may not have the room for it, but I have to ask why, If you need a long pole or stick to help you in the tree like the side kick, Why not have a dedicated pole with just the hook on the end or like mine several attatchments and four or more poles? This way you can set up one with the saw for making cuts and one with the hook for setting ropes and the like. It may be more gear but you can in most cases have a set up for any tree and secure it in the tree as someone said before with small straps and bieners. :confused:

I thought about buying a Jameson with a dedicated hook but I use a pole saw to install a line in the tree so infrequently that I can't really justify the purchase. I'll just used my Hayauchi for the rare occasions when I need to install a line with the pole saw. And I'll use the scabbard to make sure I don't nick my line any worse than I already have...

If you're that incompetent with a pole saw... maybe you better stay on the ground. Lol

Sorry about that comment Netree, it was a little early for me and threads like this sort of aggravate me sometimes. But a pole saw head with a hook on it too, can be used to advance a rope while working in the tree without damaging the rope at all. It just takes a bit of practice, some good upper body strength, and a bit of patience.

Everyone has their own style. I throw ropes, use throwing lines, and pole sections to move ropes around - whatever seems most practical for the job.

Again, sorry for coming off like a prick. my bad. :cheers:

I rarely use a pole saw, but that's because 95 percent of my work is removals.

Well, according to some your not a "real climber" unless you shoot a line and footlock every leader in every tree... :hmm3grin2orange:

I have a extendable fiberglass stick that reaches to 45'. I can take sections off and use just as many as needed. Works well for setting pull ropes for notch-and-drop removals or a climbing rope in bigger trees. I don't climb with a stick saw much, just have it sent up as needed.

Well, according to some your not a "real climber" unless you shoot a line and footlock every leader in every tree... :hmm3grin2orange:

Footlock? Screw that. I'd rather Wraptor that sucker. :rockn:

I have found a 2 or 3 piece pole pruner is much more useful tool than a pole saw. Most of the pruning jobs I do are fine pruning thus both a pole saw and a pole pruner are required. The only time I would consider using a throw line would be from the ground.

Latest posts

Back