Climbing without a saftety line?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an old timer tell me a few weeks ago,"you dont climb without a safety line, period."
Sounds like the old timer told you an old wives tale. It's good to respect your elders and all but spiking with a lanyard is safe enough IF you are experienced.

Hey man you don't live to grow old freeclimbing!

I've fired more than one climber for the offense. Nobody freeclimbs on my workmans comp.

I am glad you have a system that works for you.

My dad is 55, been at it for 35, and is as good a climber and athlete as anyone in the biz. Is that old?

A climber needs to be aware of his situation and abilities, and keep them in check at all times. If I ever feel I can't safetly do something I will adjust. I have proven myself to be an excellent climber, and find times I prefer to freeclimb (not tied in). Blanket statements like "never freeclimb", are not my reality. In fact, I was taught to climb that way on trees then poles, now if you haven't done a lot of it, by all means don't do it. I climb on a regular basis with only spikes on for hunting and love it.

I'm 52, so no, I don't think 55 is that old.

It's pretty old to have not wizened up to the hazards of free climbing though!:)

I would argue that it takes more climbing skill to climb always tied in.

Free climbing has nothing to offer other than saving a little time. I bet if if the time lost from the lives of free climbers dying on the job were figured in it would show that free climbing in the end 'cost' time. It certainly has cost lives.

I get your point for sure, and it's probably a good regulation to have. I basically work for myself (family) so when I climb it's my rules. I also do the stuff that other guys walk from, so I do it my way.

Yeah well Kevin? plastic hip and a fake knee from the first time. BUT they gave him like 60 G's so I guess it all worked out. I don't know how much they gave him the second time but I was there to see him crash out of the driveway and land on his elbows, thank goodness for recycling. There is plenty of plastic for him now. Beleive it or not there was a third.
He was really tough, big dude, could kick anybodies arse just by looking at him, drank JD in the morning, had a tatoo of the Tasmainian Devil running around with an electric chainsaw carved into his skull. I love ya buddy, still out there? I mean up there.
Mr. Simcox was another " wonder player". There isn't enough time left on this planet to go into detail but we all love him to. I miss ya man, where have you been?
Nails, No I can't tell you nothing BUT just tell your dad to hold on a second, shoot a top rope and have him walk you up. Its just common sense amigo.
The fact that you know you can do it without should be enough to make you do it with.
Go ahead top all the trees you want but for crying out loud dude stop being a total moron about THIS.
Oh wait! You got kids? Well these days even I think about that when I am about to do something stupid. So stop being stupid, stupid. I think you ned to see more pics like this. HERE'S LOOKIN AT YA KID!

halloween35Twisted1.jpg

I guess he didn't know about the cardinal rules either, or he just plainly forgot.

And of course you know what happens if you don't follow the rules even when you are doing other types of work?

disaster015.jpg

If you think a chainsaw is loud you should hear vent alarm on those tanks. In fact if you don't hear the vent alarm you are supposed to stop. Now this accident didn't really hurt or kill anybody... yet. Thing about the people who have to live with your decisions.
Oh, and it happens to everybody not just someone else. Now, do people really live to be 50?

Last edited:
By the way, The oil is 26 inches down. What do you all think about my trees? If you think it don't look good now wait til they start digging. M and F'er! Put a rope on yor ass boy! You are pissing everybody off with that crap. Put the old man too on, lets have achat with him.:dizzy:

I get your point for sure, and it's probably a good regulation to have. I basically work for myself (family) so when I climb it's my rules. I also do the stuff that other guys walk from, so I do it my way.
Change your way of thinking nails. I saw my brother fall as a result of gaffing out "freeclimbing" up a poplar in fact I think it was, not good. It aint fun building a wheelchair ramp for your bro. Not to be a prick but I we are friends (I think) so I have to say what I think on this one. After that expierience I always use a lanyard, it would have been so easy to avoid that accident. I even follow the ansi thing where you are reqiured to tie in twice when cutting...well most of the time. Just cuz yer good don't mean yer invincible. MDS

I found you saddle buddy, it must have fallen off the truck on your way hunting. Looks like it would really suck to be " in the middle" on anything.

july_105.jpg

This kid was bugging me about wanting to use a saw so I let him take the 26. Five seconds later while I am dumping saline solution over the gash in his leg and trying to close it up a little I really wish I has listen to the right side.

Change your way of thinking nails. I saw my brother fall as a result of gaffing out "freeclimbing" up a poplar in fact I think it was, not good. It aint fun building a wheelchair ramp for your bro. Not to be a prick but I we are friends (I think) so I have to say what I think on this one. After that expierience I always use a lanyard, it would have been so easy to avoid that accident. I even follow the ansi thing where you are reqiured to tie in twice when cutting...well most of the time. Just cuz yer good don't mean yer invincible. MDS

oof.Not good. sorry to hear.

By the way dan, thanks for that gorry pic back there, jeez. Good point though. Avalancher, if you want to climb trees go to work for a tree service, preferably one thats actually good.

A good slam is never good, especially if you can't get your body turned to face it in time. Pushed off many a time to swing and missed the target and thought oh :censored: here we go!

Oh? so you have "missed" a time or two in your life? Interesting my friend. Freeclimb? No. I get paid. I get paid to do it right. Its Ok now, you are still here, just make a change... really. You have to do this one Nails, its really not up to you actually.
I was going to let it go originally since you are the tough guy but I know inside of every tough guy there is a bloody broken mass of flesh and bone crying for his mommy.

oof.Not good. sorry to hear.
Yeah, thanks dude. You know the funny thing about that whole deal? I never stopped climbing, even right after all that. My boss gave me a week off and I went to work for this other scumbag next door for that week. I guess I am a real freak, I dont know, maybe it helped to be busy. That was like 15 years ago now. He was really good too, just reckless and liked to party a little too much, one of those dudes, you know the type. Car crash got him 6 months latter, crazy bastard. All that rehab for nothing.

By the way dan, thanks for that gorry pic back there, jeez. Good point though. Avalancher, if you want to climb trees go to work for a tree service, preferably one thats actually good.

I have NEVER and I mean NEVER been up a tree without being tied in. I might go up a pole naked til about 10 feet but usually I put the lanyard on before my spike touches bark. I truly am afraid of heights, I might fall with out a rope.
People always asked me if I was afraid to fall out of a tree. I reply that I don't thinks its possible for me to fall OUT of a tree. Some people complain I take to long when i tie in 6 ways from Sunday... F em!
I actaully did fall out of a tree, I was putting my one foot on the first branch of a real little crap apple with my other foot still on the ground, I slipped and BAM, right on my arse. Hurt like hell, rattled my brain.
It is true though, making sure you are going to be allright is a real big PITA. I just figured that out, pita, I was waiting for felaffel.

Last edited:
Yeah, thanks dude. You know the funny thing about that whole deal? I never stopped climbing, even right after all that. My boss gave me a week off and I went to work for this other scumbag next door for that week. I guess I am a real freak, I dont know, maybe it helped to be busy. That was like 15 years ago now. He was really good too, just reckless and liked to party a little too much, one of those dudes, you know the type. Car crash got him 6 months latter, crazy bastard. All that rehab for nothing.

Ooof times a million.

Thanks again, like I said its been a long time so I dont mind talking about it really. I just get serious about some things, I dont know why people take this stuff so lightly. Many mornings I've felt like like it was D day at Normandy of something, just going to a big tree. Climb for firewood...Blahh!

By the way, The oil is 26 inches down. What do you all think about my trees? If you think it don't look good now wait til they start digging. M and F'er! Put a rope on yor ass boy! You are pissing everybody off with that crap. Put the old man too on, lets have achat with him.:dizzy:

Why are you so worked up about how I climb? It's just climbing.

Latest posts

Back